Long coastal and offshore race fleets

Jon

Someone asked about xtra costs over going for a cruise

$1000 entry fee

$1000 med kit

x? for a new drogue

Sat phone

Extra cost to enter Aus in Mooloolaba (not a port of entry)

Parking in Mooloolaba (we normally don't go to marinas but not a lot of optoions there)

Raft inspection

More solar panels. (must have two methods or charging).

And the killer  for me was the LZ curve nonsense. The designer is dead so I'd have to pay someone else to produce the curve for me, although they did offer to tip the boat over instead. neither option appealed.

I was also looking at a new sail but as pointed out that could be amortised, but what's the point of doing the course if you aren't sailing at your best? If cruising I prefer to go slow.

I've probably missed some, but I got to $20k over and above the trip I did last year to Fiji for fun. For a 10 day race that's $2k per day just to go for a sail in my own boat.

So are you saying that alot of that stuff you wouldnt have done if you were just cruising?

Life raft unserviced, alternative means of charging, first aid kit, drouge (certainly needed if going with a small crew), sat phone.... all sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The only thing there that really looks like just an extra cost for the race is the $1000 entry fee, the other stuff surely is needed for any trip offshore?

There is also standing Rigging must be less than 10 yes old, and the stability tests or certs that BP mentioned.

In 2003, I spent about 60 k on Island Time to get cat 1 and to have her what I considered ready for offshore. In 2010, when I did it again, about 15-20. Probably be closer to 30-40 again now, as need standing Rigging again,and some sails, plus the normal stuff. Cheap it is not...

Booboo

The raft I owned was beyond salvage so I rented one for the Fiji trip. (Northland Sea Safety - excellent)

Alternative means of charging - I currently have tiny solar output, more a trickle so the batteries stay up when I am not aboard. Intention is to upgrade but didn't have the time nor money before the trip so  decided to wing it. (I can sail without batteries, just the food gets a bit boring.

First aid kit I did a "generic" version and left out a couple of items after discussing with my doctor - saved about 1k over having to get cat 1.

Drogue - there is one that came with the boat but I think it is totally inadequate, plan is to get a series drogue but wasn't going to happen for this trip. In the past when I have needed to use a drogue in anger I have fabricated one from gear already aboard, so was happy to wing it for this trip.

Sat phone - ended up borrowing an old one, but getting hooked up was still expensive. Next time I would like to try one of the new things that turn your cell ph into a sat ph. 

All up I probably saved at least 6k over registering in NZ and getting Cat 1. I don't think I did anything foolhardy and would do it again in a heartbeat. (That 6k would probably have killed the trip).

The stability test is not definite for Cruising, only racing - at the inspectors discretion.  In a proven boat it should not be required.

The 10 year standing rigging thing used to be in the Saftey regs - with a quick look now I can't see it anymore. I've got to go out - no time to read it all now, but it's here

KM, you may be able to prove the boats been safe for 12 years, but can you prove it actually still floats?

When are the greater Auckland race fleets once again to be graced with the presence of the mighty Reptile anyway?

i didn't need a stability thing for cat 1 in my hans christian, while they are slow them seem to float well, but i hear race inspectors descretion,  choose your cat 1 inspector carefully.   I need new wire.. stainless fails badly even though it looks ok... 

Didn't the Fastnet sell out in about 3 minutes this year?

They have divisions three, four and five which are absolutely brilliant Corinthian, 35 feet ish, many many much smaller having fantastic racing in div 5. Think a Contessa 28 won it the year before last.

Sure they have the divisions zero and super zero (wank wank), but the RORC channel series was a lot of good fun racing leading into the Fastnet (normally only in a Fastnet year though). Good fleets of similar smaller and older boats.

That type of racing is on the rise in the UK. Not sure what is wrong in NZ. Certainly the lack of older and smaller boats to play with is a problem. Look at the size and type of boats in the "smaller" divisions of the ssanz triple series, big numbers of smaller older boats...

Fish, the info I have on the FastNet would indicate division 5 has been merged with division 4 (

from results for the last five races, only the Sigma 38 and to a lesser extent the Sigma 33 have had significant class presence for designs prior to 1990 and those classes are way down in numbers for the last two races.

Using the most recent couple of races, your typical Fastnet boat is a First 40, First 40.7 or J109.

What I'm seeing is good growth in European production boats (yeah I know J Boats read J boats Europe for that) typically around the 10-15 years old.

One of the interesting things is the likes of the Prima 38 and Reflex 38 which were designed in the 90s so modern by NZ standards are also dropping off badly in terms of participation.

I'm reading the Fastnet popularity as driven by some pretty reasonable production cruiser/racer designs  within the last 20 years, presumably available at pretty resonable prices.  Whilst the older boats still have a definite presence, don't think it's driving the Fastnet popularity.

New Zealands fleet is generally older than that and the Js, Xs, Firsts common in European racing never established a serious presence here.
Don't think it's the big reason why there aren't small boats doing longer races here, but it's not helping.

Was that comment nessisary?

Would you rather not have those boats racing?

There is a couple of reasons I made that comment, which probably isn't well communicated by the bit in brackets.

Firstly, I don't have a strong interest in those divisions. I've raced in races including the likes of Leopard and other 100 foot speed wangons, they finish before most boats have completed the first leg, and the outcome of the race is normally known prior to the start.

I've no problem with them racing, but I'm just not interested in them.

The second point is around the Corinthian or grass roots aspects of sailing. The zero and super zero divs are strongly professional driven, big budget etc. sure it may be possible to get a crew spot if you are young and fit, but probably have to go through a youth academy of be a sail maker (I.e. be working in the industry).

The lower divisions are much more accessible for the average Joe. This is where I believe the growth in participation of sailing lies. I'm thinking of the hay day of NZ offshore racing, how many Chico 30's and similar raced?

I started racing English Channel JOG races in an old X 32, moved onto a First31.7 then got onto a Sigma 38. Loved it.

Walked past Leopard at the dock. To get on a big boat you need experince. To get experince you need to get on a boat. I started at the bottom...

Mattm, I see the parallel in "cost effective" European production cruiser races and what I have been describing as older smaller NZ boats. Nice boats to sail, not excessively expensive, comfortable but not excessively complicated or tricked out to sail well. Shame div 5 is gone, but they were very small boats by modern standards. Still there is some really good racing to be had at the back of the fleet there, especially on the bang for buck scale.

It's the rules and regulations.Over time a lot of crews found other things to do that didn't require so much effort and expense to comply.. Wednesday nights and short races require much less of both and hence good participation. Effectively we regulated ourselves out of it.

Undoubtedly BP,  some of the best quality racing that I have done in recent years was in the One Ton Cup revisited two years ago, widely disparate boats well handicapped and every dog had his day, oh and they were by todays standards small cheap local non planing boats.

Really made us all think - and the fleet was populated heavily by sailmakers or ex sailmakers there because they wanted to be, rather than for business.....