22 replies to this topic

#1 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Well now that world sailing has committed to this class as the his and hers keelboat/trailer sailor  who has ordered one fom NZ? I see that they have already discarded the electric saildrive as not suitable for other than European Lakes and reverted to a conventional Yanmar saildrive.

#2 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

What's an L30?

Link?

Hyandai make an i30.....?

#3 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

Twin wheels on a 30 footer?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#4 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

#5 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

http://www.l30class.com/en/

#6 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Yes far rather have a tiller myself, and save the weight.

#7 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

I'm a little confused as to why they wouldn't go with an existing and established offshore class. The Figaro 3 springs to mind, and looks a hell of a lot more interesting and challenging to sail well. I'm sure there are other examples of existing one design classes about.

The L30 doesn't really get me excited at any level. It looks like the shortest offering of fairly much any large production builder in Europe. Many have more exciting models on offer.

I'd rate a Ross 930 as much as anything over the L30.

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

I'm a little confused as to why they wouldn't go with an existing and established offshore class. The Figaro 3 springs to mind, and looks a hell of a lot more interesting and challenging to sail well. I'm sure there are other examples of existing one design classes about.

The L30 doesn't really get me excited at any level. It looks like the shortest offering of fairly much any large production builder in Europe. Many have more exciting models on offer.

I'd rate a Ross 930 as much as anything over the L30.

+3. One for each para ;)

Figaro 3 all day long.

I'd hate to think what the price of the L30 is. I'm going to guess somewhere around 100K Euros so around NZ$225,000 ready to sail out of Bayswater by the time you add shipping and taxes. A Figaro 3 would be around NZ$350K sail away in Auckland by the time the tax mans hand has been crossed with coin.

But then not long ago we did some gear for a 10mt inflatable that had 2 big motors but no cabin, just a centre console with sun shade over it sort of thing. We were told it's highly speced up but also had a price of $495,000. That's serious coin for a bag of wind day fizzy.

#9 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

They are not pretty and i dare say the Figaro is a lot quicker but I have seen them advertised for 92000 Euro and lets face it you can get around the "Auckland" cost of yachting by hauling it out.

Hopefully they are quicker than an 88 though i doubt it on the wind, as the current First 30 proved to be a big disappointment when built with basic production methods.

#10 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

I wonder what it weigh's can't find anything on the website. 

Like the elan its probably quite a bit heavier and thus slower than our local boats like the R930, Y88.

Twin wheels is stupid on a boat so small ! They just clutter the cotpit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users