Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

2 hours ago, ex Elly said:

I think the Tauranga Sulphur Point marina is. Their prices are half that of Auckland.

The Marina is a Society and supposed to operate solely for it's members boating needs, it isn't allowed to make a profit. At .present prices have risen lately due to the refurbishment of the piers. A typical lift and waterblast is around $100-130 with annual rental around $1400-$2000 PA depending on length

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ballystick said:

The Marina is a Society and supposed to operate solely for it's members boating needs, it isn't allowed to make a profit. At .present prices have risen lately due to the refurbishment of the piers. A typical lift and waterblast is around $100-130 with annual rental around $1400-$2000 PA depending on length

that is very cheap. however prices rising due to maint is an issue we all face - the GHMV marina have a sinking fund for this - we just did a half life survey and replaced another 50 piles - steel this time. The fees I quoted above reflect the actual costs of running this marina. Without a hardstand or toilet/shower facilities...

5 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Yep, 4 bed 4 bath and a 12m berth

So what you are saying is, marina berths in Auckland have gotten so expensive you can buy one and get a free house?

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, K4309 said:

So what you are saying is, marina berths in Auckland have gotten so expensive you can buy one and get a free house?

Not far from the truth!!

• Haha 1

For some reason I don't follow, the value of the berths is not really added to the house values in the village, and we have even had lawyers tell prospective buyers not to buy here as the berths have annual fees! With that, though, I'd also say, you DONT own the berth, you just get a license to occupy while you own the property...

But you have basically the same rights as if you did own it - you can rent it out etc, to all intents and purposes its yours...

2 hours ago, Psyche said:

For leaseholders?

Everyone is a leaseholder technically but it is like an owner, it has renewed with the council once since I've been there with no change noticed. The purchase price is fixed by the Society and all sales go through it.

Got this last week from GH Marina:

Gulf Harbour Marina from above

Important Notice Regarding Proposed Marina Development

Dear Berth Holders, 

We hope you are all doing well!

We would like to notify you of significant information that has recently been brought to our attention as the Manager of the Gulf Harbour Marina Scheme.

We have been advised by Hopper Developments Limited that they are intending to lodge an application for fast-track approval for a 300 Berth marina and public boat ramp, which are planned to be constructed next to the entrance channel to Gulf Harbour Marina and opposite the ferry terminal. 

We have very limited knowledge of the application at this point and are seeking further information and advice on this. We have also informed the Statutory Supervisor of the Gulf Harbour Marina Scheme, Trustees Executors Limited. 

Hopper Developments have asked for our support on their submission amongst others. We have advised them we cannot support something with minimal consultation or information but feel you as berth holders should be kept informed.  

We will continue to keep you updated as we find out more information.

Below is a map of the proposed marina, which we received from Hopper Developments Limited.  

Kind regards,

The team at Gulf Harbour Marina

73ea3821-71c5-009c-56e7-b85e71b21a39.png

Logo

Copyright (C) 2024 Gulf Harbour Marina. All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are a customer with Gulf Harbour Marina.

Our mailing address is:

Gulf Harbour Marina
895 Laurie Southwick Parade
Gulf Harbour
Whangaparaoa, Auckland 0930
New Zealand

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe

open.php?u=f8c8c4e0238d615c6a461e017&id=

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Island Time said:

For some reason I don't follow, the value of the berths is not really added to the house values in the village, and we have even had lawyers tell prospective buyers not to buy here as the berths have annual fees! With that, though, I'd also say, you DONT own the berth, you just get a license to occupy while you own the property...

But you have basically the same rights as if you did own it - you can rent it out etc, to all intents and purposes its yours...

@Island TimeIT - what are the body corp fees for the apartment like where you are?

good idea I reckon. GH turns away the offshore vessels quite a bit now - "Full" apparently. So I guess the prices have not (yet) caused an exodus...

Just now, Vivaldi said:

@Island TimeIT - what are the body corp fees for the apartment like where you are?

They all vary - not all houses have berths. Effectively there are 2 sets of fees - village assn (ALL properties are members) and the subsidiary BC's of which there are multiple. Our one is a group of 12 townhouses. Our total fees (incl the 15m berth) are about 10K - but that includes all exterior maintenance, rubbish collection, insurance etc etc. IMO its a great deal...

• Upvote 1
On 13/05/2024 at 7:47 PM, Black Panther said:

It's not unusual to get enquiries for gh apartments from people wanting the berth and then rent out the apartment. 

..... what about boaties looking to rent a berth without buying an apartment? Sounds like owners can lease them out, so I suppose we just keep an eye on trademe?

Interesting discussion here, having just had recent drama again with Westhaven mucking us about on the Pole moorings - they clearly have no plans to keep any cheaper options available long term.

$450 a month for an 8m pole mooring! - it's 5 times the going rate from harbourmaster or any boat club.

It's really no wonder though that yachting is getting older and less of us younger generation are taking it up - all our money, time and effort is being sucked up into real estate via rents and mortages.

There certainly is a reckoning coming via westhaven in 2026, and while it's totally avoidable and a product of greed and  mismanagement, I can guarantee the general public response will be that it's just for "rich pricks". The sad matter is that the regular Aucklander is indeed being pushed out of there - many very large and very expensive new boats on those new berths and many of the owners are nowhere to be found outside of the peak season when they choose to visit.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, motorb said:

..... what about boaties looking to rent a berth without buying an apartment? Sounds like owners can lease them out, so I suppose we just keep an eye on trademe?

Happens quite a bit, although the management can be a pain, I know people who have moved back into the main marina as a result. 

Ok, just catching up with this thread again. As part of the "management" of this marina, I can think of only two vessels in 10 years that have been asked to leave. I've been on the GHMVRA committee for 9 years.

The rules are pretty simple. This is a residential marina, and the berths are people's back yards. Be respectful of this, and don't cause unnecessary noise and disturbance to neighbors. Don't discharge any pollutants  into the water. No more than 2 consecutive nights staying on board  - if renting - there are NO toilet or shower facilities. No commercial vessels (to prevent fishing charters leaving at 5am with 25 people etc). Boats using power connections must have an EWOF, and all boats must be insured, reasonably maintained etc.

You are responsible for people visiting or crewing on your boat.  Work on the boats, like most marinas, cannot be contaminating the water, or other people's boats. Noisy work, like power tools, hammering etc must be restricted to short duration and reasonable hours - again, it's peoples residence, not a work site.

We have a facilities manager, Steve Law, ph 021457268 who will know what berths are available and controls the rentals. 

This is a well maintained, calm and quiet place to moor your boat.

If anyone wishes to talk to me about it, 0221539176

Matt

• Upvote 1
On 13/05/2024 at 7:23 PM, Psyche said:

For leaseholders?

Compared to 10 k a year at Pine Harbour for 12m. And yes, for leaseholders.  Who could afford to rent?  I understand that someone needs to die before the waiting list moves at Sulphur point.  They used to be able to sell the berth with the boat.  So some wags would buy a worthless old shitter and sell it for megabucks, berth included.  Don't know if that still happens.