Faint bleeping sound in cabin

Hey hope it's not a sign I'm going mad, as in crazy, but the other day I heard a faint bleeping sound in the cabin.  All electric switches were off.  It was very faint 4-5 bleeps, and then again in 10-15 minutes (guesstimate).  Since we have had new batteries and battery switch installed and I don't know any better I thought perhaps it was some sort of warning from the battery switch which was set on 'engine battery' so switched  it to 'house'.  On doing so after a few seconds heard one long faint bleep (abt 3-4 seconds long).  But that might have been purely co-incidental.  Sparkie advised the bleep wouldn't have come from the battery switch.  Does anyone have any idea?  (We have solar panels as well.)

It wasn't from my mobile either.

Not the switch itself. But you must have changed a power condition to some device some where.
Do you have any sort of flash Battery charge controller/regulator etc? The switch may have isolated something monitoring the batteries and one bank has isolated and the thing is saying I can't read a voltage on a particular bank. If it is a faint sound, think of anything that must be fitted in say the engine compartment or a cabin or somewhere not in the immediate area.
Or, By any chance were you in the Marina at the time? Any chance another Boat close to you making the sound and the sound was transmitting through the water or just air?

Heaps of devices have little peizo buzzers in them. It could also be from a battery powered (not boat battery) device going flat?. Clocks, timers, handheld vhf, games, etc etc.

Or if it is a boat source - bilge alarm, gas detector, blackwater tank full, battery monitor low (or high) voltage, shore power connect/disconnect/reverse polarity, etc etc

Identifying alarms is a PITA - if high pitched enough I don't hear them, and if I do they all sound the same!

Had the same over Christmas in a boat on the hard with everything switched off, -- it turned out to be bubbles coming back through toilet, obviously the breather from holding tank wasn't-and the outlet valve was turned off so pressure built up till occasionally it bubbled back into the bowl. Amazingly electrical sounding noise though!

Make sure you report back what you find. I can't wait to hear what it was.
That reminds me of the story of the guy that had a new Boat built. A really big one. Apparently the Owner was a pain in the A to the project manager and would call him at all times of the late night and early morning and constantly wanting changes and moaning about this and that. Boat was completed and Launched. But at anchor, the Owner was kept awake at night with a sound of something sliding and then clunk with every single slight roll of the boat at anchor. The owner had darn near torn the boat apart trying to find it and apparently after weeks and endless nights of no sleep and having everything he could find pulled apart, he found a panel that has a length of line and a sinker on it's end inside a wall. And a note tied to the line saying that this was payback for all the nights the Project manager was woken with stupid problems the owner.

Its an apt that's been automatically installed during the latest update. You obviously agreed to the terms and conditions at some stage, most likely when you signed something at the bank.

Every time your boat costs you $100, it gives a little series of beeps. If its going off every 15 minutes it means you need to go back to the bank.....

Yay, just figured out what the bleeping was! If the multimeter is left on without being used it bleeps before going into sleep mode...Thank goodness not a boat problem!

Figured it out when I pulled the multimeter out of my husband's bag and noticed it hadn't been turned off (ie was on volt setting) but the display was off. Tested it and sure enough heard the same bleeps 10-15 minutes later.

Bit of a worry if some of those alarms have a pitch so high only bats can hear though!

Anyway I've also learnt about PITA - even if I had to look it up on the net.

Cheers everyone.

Yay, just figured out what the bleeping was! If the multimeter is left on without being used it bleeps before going into sleep mode...Thank goodness not a boat problem!

Figured it out when I pulled the multimeter out of my husband's bag and noticed it hadn't been turned off (ie was on volt setting) but the display was off. Tested it and sure enough heard the same bleeps 10-15 minutes later.

Bit of a worry if some of those alarms have a pitch so high only bats can hear though!

Anyway I've also learnt about PITA - even if I had to look it up on the net.

Cheers everyone.

Haha, brilliant and double brilliant that is was nothing serious.
I have a Makita Drill and the charger plays a tune when the battery is charged. It's annoying because it has both Wife and running for our Cell phones when it plays. Even though we don't even have that tune :roll:

On the old boat I was working on something and had the headliner down. One of the kids dropped a couple of marbles between the deck and liner unnoticed. When sailing would get a funny rattle every time we tacked or gybed, drove me nuts for nearly two years. 

I was all ready to pull the water heater out of my boat because of the loose element ( or something) inside it rattling on a rolly night. It heated the water fine, I put it off .

anyway, before I did I discovered a thin plastic fishboard/ breadboard thing standing on its edge between the heater and the hull. Little barsteward, completely hidden.

Which reminds me of the blocked sink drain , what a hassle.

That turned out to be a whole freaking dinner knife.