Function versus form

Guest Crew.orgy

Guest Crew.orgy

Curious?...

If you only had a choice of ...

A. A pretty boat and compromised living quarters. Or...

B. Ugly boat with great accommodation...

Which would you choose?... and why. ( Dont overthink it and we are not talkng live aboard)

For me i would go looks as i think they may have better resale value.

I bought a Boat to have fun. Not with any future thought to sell. I didn't care about the outside too much and am slowly fixing her up.
But the answer to your question depends.
What is your form of sailing. For me it is cruising and comfort. For others it is racing and weekending.

question to the answer , whats an ugly boat? 

A Pelorus 25' : However I own one and it is a good little sea boat, easy to handle with lots of room inside for the size.. We enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

One noted designer (can't remember who just now) said in respect of yacht design 'if it looks right, it is right.'

Would still depend on your perspective of what constitutes a good looking vessel, though.

Guest Crew.orgy

It not about personal image. Its about enjoying the look of a finely proportion yacht.

Sure racing and cruising would have differing meaning for the indivdual. But i could not walk down the peir and step onto a functional but ugly boat, but i could livexwith a compromised space in order to sail a beautiful boat. Its like woman! There is a physical attraction first then the function is checked out. Or maybe you forget the looks and ensure the functional bit works first?

Cruising is a compromise as is racing. But the most beautifull yachts are neither a cruiser or a racer

Beauty is on the eye of the beholder. For me, I find an old Timber vessel design like a J class and the similar designs of that era, beautiful. But I wouldn't be able to afford the up keep, so I don't own one. I dislike the current day plastic fantastic assembly line produced "Caravan" offering's. To me, they lack Soul. But others love the modern look and they certainly have space and function.

For me, a beautiful boat is one that has lines and form that indicates good handling, I.e. Sails well. Well balanced, very hard to get to broach, sails to windward sweetly etc

My perception is that "high volume" boats, I.e. modern production boats with very large accomodation, generally handle like pigs, therefore, they don't 'look' attractive to me.

This is usually demonstrated by extreme beam and very high top sides with vertical bows. Oh, and usually a chine to fit two double cabins in.

That said, when I go onboard a 3 bedroom two bathroom floating apartment at the boat show that is the exact same length as my 2 pilot berths and cramped V berth, I do start pondering turning to the dark side.

So form me, form over function.

Now, if I could just get a pretty boat that didn't require any maintenance...........

I spent the first 20 or 25 years of my sailing life  in the equivalent of a pup tent with me wife and then 3 kids. But thats OK, Twisty did the same in a sleeping bag.

Ah yes , when the adults of the families got together at the end of a hard day we'd go to the big modern boat , A Pelin 32.( a bit like a Cav.)

Then we met a guy with a reallly big boat , a Lotus 9.2.

We all had to get counselling for agoraphobia after that , started talking about how important hand holds down below are.