Function versus form

Guest Crew.orgy

Des Townson rowed around my boat , came aboard , and told me that Laurie Davidson got it perfectly right and he wouldn't change anything.

But even a biggish Davidson then is a small boat now. Pretty much any modern  Hanse/ Bene etc even a few feet shorter  makes it a bit of a tunnel .

So what does that mean.. yes I agree, go for the row away factor. Its what I've always done anyway.

I'm an engineer by training, so function is a big deal for me. I wouldn't say I need a good looking boat, but no way could I deal with an ugly one. Sailing well is obviously critical.

And my wife says the next boat must have a roof, not a tent....

Guest Crew.orgy

Ill take a pretty boat with compromised living quarters over an ugly boat with great accommodation any day.

Yuuupp!!! Thats how i see it.

Who takes an ugly woman to meet your mates, and tell them..." she's well fitted out below"

If it looks good it goes good!

Which is why you should never touch a woman until you meet her mum. And I am sure the selection process works equally strongly in reverse.

I am like my dad, & can't understand what the hell my Mrs was thinking!

I'm an engineer by training, so function is a big deal for me. I wouldn't say I need a good looking boat, but no way could I deal with an ugly one. Sailing well is obviously critical.

And my wife says the next boat must have a roof, not a tent....

Must to time to upgrade Voom to a be a "Sports Deck" GBE. :wtf:

Voom Mk3.jpg

Guest Crew.orgy

I be gobsmacked . .

none of ya care about how she sails? 

Lets see, looks and room . . what else could possibly matter? 

As the young 'uns say, "WHAAAAAAAAAT . . ?" 

(Free Plug For Great Escape) 

http://www.greatescape.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/davidson2.png

I think we did!

What is " sails well"?

To a racer its very fine measurement of velocity and sailing angles.

To a cruiser it is ease of helming, smoothness thru the water, the " G & T" stability test....

IT, i never have understood the logic behind form following function. Most beautiful yachts are the reverse. Doesn't a designer invisage a beautiful form first then built some functionality into the shape?

To be honest I actually thought it was Des who said "if it looks right, it is right."

But at the end of the day, I'd take the boat with the best performance, although my requirements for performance are likely very different to other folks.

Weatherliness, speed, ability to enter shoal water, not too much windage, masts on tabernacles, impossible to sink, DRY, self righting, comfortable bed, standing shower, decent dunny, great galley, plenty of cold space, clothes washer ... these are all features I would consider very high up on my list.

I actually feel that the two features, good looks and functionality are not mutually exclusive. If one is lacking then the designer has failed.

The essence of good design, as explained to me by an experienced designer is. "Good design = Works well looks good."

a lot of people would struggle with its looks, but it is immensely practical and apparently sails well and is seaworthy.

However, I wouldn't keep it in a marina and would only be on deck at night...

You have one of Spencer's good 'uns, I always liked the lines of his hulls but you can always spot a Spencer - 'nice hull with a dog box put on as an afterthought' - is the way I see it.

I admire Des's boats the most for balance: good lines above and below, adequate living/cruising space, well balanced, reasonably quick (especially in their day) wonderful to sail.