sunday orca

went down early for a bit of boat maintenance but it was so nice i slipped the mooring for a wander

just off the container wharf a big black fin arced through the water and was gone

at just a glance thought it may have been the tall fin of a bull orca but from then on around the stalled race boats it was just a mother with 2 calves that headed off to northcote

followed the race boats for a bit down the harbour and then a gbe

but he popped a spin and tore off into trouble....

back on the mooring at okahu the killers reappeared and seemed happy circling the bay in about 2 mtr of water, just before an akarana paddling race

https://youtu.be/0FKaQcqSXTM

nah, they're harmless............unless you're a stingray, seal, shark, dolphin, whale or orca trainer

seriously they seem intelligent enough

to keep us off the menu

which is smarter than some people

inuit say

they have been taken

when orca have crashed through thin ice to get them

probably mistaking them for seals 

Incidents with wild orca[edit]

There are few recorded cases of wild orcas threatening humans.[2][7]

220px-Point_Sur_from_the_north.JPG

Point Sur, seen from the north on Highway 1
  • In the 1910s, the Terra Nova Expedition recorded that killer whales had attempted to tip ice floes on which an expedition photographer and a sled dog team were standing.[8]
  • On June 15, 1972, the hull of the 43-foot-long (13 m) wooden schooner Lucette (Lucy) was stove in by a pod of killer whales and sank approximately 200 miles west of the Galapagos IslandsDougal Robertson and his family of five escaped to an inflatable life raft and a solid-hull dinghy.[9]
  • On September 9, 1972,[10] Californian surfer Hans Kretschmer reported being bitten by a killer whale at Point Sur; most maintain that this remains the only fairly well-documented instance of a wild orca biting a human.[11][12] His wounds required 100 stitches.[12]
  • In August 2005, while swimming in four feet of water in Helm Bay, near Ketchikan, Alaska, a 12-year-old boy named Ellis Miller was bumped in the shoulder by a 25-foot transient killer whale.[11][13] The boy was not bitten or injured in any way. The bay is frequented byharbor seals, and it is possible that the whale misidentified him as prey.[13]
  • During the filming of the third episode of the BBC documentary Frozen Planet (2011), a group of orcas were filmed trying to swamp the film crew's 18-foot zodiac boat with waves as they were filming. The crew had earlier taped the group hunting seals in the same fashion. It was not mentioned if any of the crew were hurt in the encounter.[14][15] The crew described the orcas as being very tolerant of the film makers' presence. Over the course of 14 days they filmed over 20 different attacks on seals, many of which the film's series producer Vanessa Berlowitz describe as training exercises for the young calves in the group.[16][17]
  • On February 10, 2014, a free diver in Horahora Estuary near WhangareiNew Zealand, was pulled down for over 40 seconds by a killer whale that grabbed a bag containing crayfish and urchins, which was attached to his arm by a rope. The rope eventually came free. He then undid his weight belt and returned to the surface. He had lost all feeling in his arm and could no longer swim, but his cousin was nearby and helped him float to some rocks where the feeling in his arm returned.[18][19][20]

It could have been serious and life threatening, but I couldn't stop myself from laughing - the bubbles and turbulence that occurred showed the action really well.

Whales are not to be played with but they may want to play with you so watch out, I suppose.

Cool experience with the whale! My wife saw those Orca on the weekend from the harbour bridge as we were driving back from the tropics.

Regarding that seal/ boarding platform , we watched our friend back down her boarding ladder at Mimiwhangata a few years ago for one of those 'not get the hair wet' swims.

She said she got this weird feeling , hair on her  neck stood up and she looked around to see a 3 metre bronzy 2 ft from her butt.

What we saw was Nadia Cominiche performing a gymnastics routine, and there was a great deal of noise.

We know it was 3 metres or extremely close to it because it hung around and we later  photographed it beside the dinghy.

We've had a lot of orca sightings over the last decade or so, usually one or two a season now. Its always cool.

The Brydes whales across Bream bay is always neat too. There were about 5 of them feeding as we came back down the coast in jan. We only ever see them when its calm and we're motoring , but its pretty much a given we will see them in those conditions.

I thought this guy was pretty keen to jump in with the orca

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/83945845/drone-captures-army-bay-orca-encounter

I've sailed a laser around 2 metres from a couple of orca's in Manly on Whangapoaroa and didn't feel very keen to get in the water with them.

They still have teeth and are alot bigger than me!! 

Pretty sure I'd come out worse out of a misunderstanding.

I thought this guy was pretty keen to jump in with the orca

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/83945845/drone-captures-army-bay-orca-encounter

I've sailed a laser around 2 metres from a couple of orca's in Manly on Whangapoaroa and didn't feel very keen to get in the water with them.

They still have teeth and are alot bigger than me!! 

Pretty sure I'd come out worse out of a misunderstanding.

That footage is fantastic - agree it's cool to see Orca but not so keen to swim with them - Dolphins yes. I'm pretty sure that dude would have had a major sphincter clenching moment as he swam after his kayak with it swimming behind him...