Wondering why the High Tides are really high just lately?

I have always been in awe of those huge tides they get in some parts of the world. By the way, Havelock gets 3 to 4M tides.

Do you have a reference for the claims of 1m in ten years? I wasn't aware of any such thing.

Sorry BP, my bad. I didn't word that very well. What I was referring to was several situations around the World, blamed in Ocean level rise when it clearly is not. One was an Island in a Delta at the mouth of a River in India that was disappearing. It had been reported several times it was due to Sea Level rise. But what it actually was, is that the Island is a Sand is;land in the middle of the River and the River was reclaiming what it had deposited. All the Sand Islands there come and go. But for some silly reason, People decided to populated one and build on it. Then as it eroded away, they started crying for help and the Greenies came in a blamed Sea Level rise. Another is a Pacific Island. Can't remember the name (was it kiribas?) Anyway, they are being swamped by water at very high tides and once again, the Island is being used as an add for Sea Level rise issues. But there are two issues for the Island going under. It is little more than Sand and Shell a few Hundred mm above High tide. The Island is poor and the inhabitants have been selling their beach by the Barge Load, where it is transported off to other Islands. Because there is no Solid rock or Coral beneath them, the Island is literally settling out to fill the void they dug. The other issue is that is the remains of a very old Atoll, which started life as a Volcano. All Atolls sink. Slowly, but they sink and this one is near the end of it's life. In geological terms that is. Add in a 150 to 200mm seal level rise in a century and no wonder they are suffering from damp feet.

Island Time, could I propose you amend the user conditions to have an outright ban on the discussion of climate change?

It will be good for total traffic, trust me.

Personally I don't see the problem. The Post is about Tides. That affects us all as Boaters. I thought it was interesting as Boaters, to know why we are getting the extreme tides and interesting to see the Super Moon when it comes. It probably didn't need to get screwed quite so far in the direction it took, but...well...you are in the middle of that one Fish. Simply don't read the Post and DON'T respond to Kevin or anyone else in a way that on fans the flames, if you don't want the flames fanned.

Oh while I remember, the Actual Moon Rise time on the 14th is sometime after 8PM, not the 2 in the morning figure. That is the time the Moon is at closest Approach. I will come back and correct this with the precise time later.

575004_2dc78ca9.jpg

Thornbury Sailing Club.

About 11m top to bottom, runs at about 8 knots both ways.

On the really big tides we used to sandbag along the top of the seawall, and would often get water into the ground floor of the clubhouse. (The white building in the background)

yandy94130.jpg

And at half tide it looks like this.

At high tide you can sail over all that land over the creek, and you stop REALLY fast when you hit those ridges.

This is the end result of the Bristol channel/Severn River forcing it's way into a tiny channel of outgoing water.

Top photo by Graham Horn, sailing photo by Paul Craig, video by Sky.

Personally I don't see the problem. The Post is about Tides. That affects us all as Boaters. I thought it was interesting as Boaters, to know why we are getting the extreme tides and interesting to see the Super Moon when it comes. It probably didn't need to get screwed quite so far in the direction it took, but...well...you are in the middle of that one Fish. Simply don't read the Post and DON'T respond to Kevin or anyone else in a way that on fans the flames, if you don't want the flames fanned.

Oh while I remember, the Actual Moon Rise time on the 14th is sometime after 8PM, not the 2 in the morning figure. That is the time the Moon is at closest Approach. I will come back and correct this with the precise time later.

Wheels, I am genuinely interested in tides, moons and this super moon. Your OP is topical and informative. Climate change has been done to death in the below links 56 page topic. While I was being mainly fascetious calling for a ban on discussing climate change, I understand some people are happy banging their head against that particular wall. Just exchanging my views on a topic in the forum. If we all agreed on everything, this place would get boring fast. Tides and this upcoming super moon are entirely seperate to the whole climate change thing.

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/11218-un-latest-climate-outlook/?hl=climate+change&do=findComment&comment=150315

In the pursuit of scientific advancement I will be sailing to Great Barrier Island on the 14th

I will be checking on the tidal affects to fish and rum consumption

We may need to send divers down to monitor the effect to crayfish and scallops

I think the best way to get a comparison will be to stay there a week and keep an eye on the after effects also

The things we have to do all in the name of science ?

Maybe BP can monitor the effects in Fiji if he's still there.

• Upvote 1

Those denying significant sea level change get an airing in this pdf. Then are neatly demolished. You might need to contribute your scientific expertise to help your favourite denier - all three of them (as opposed to hundreds of other scientists) all seem to be floundering, swamped, or totally sunk.

www.iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002/pdf

Those denying significant sea level change get an airing in this pdf. Then are neatly demolished. You might need to contribute your scientific expertise to help your favourite denier - all three of them (as opposed to hundreds of other scientists) all seem to be floundering, swamped, or totally sunk.

www.iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002/pdf

I lost interest in this debate when I worked out most of the naysayers had their hand in the public purse.

Following the money seems to work with scientists, zoning permits and politicians

Those denying significant sea level change get an airing in this pdf.

Kevin, who is denying Sea level rise? I haven't. I said, it has been established that a rise of ruffly 2mm per year over the last 100yrs. Thus about 200mm. In fact I was being on the generous side even. Because officially, the level is of rise is actually lower.

BUT!!!!!! Also what I said, it is not as simple as a smooth 200mm rise over the entire Pacific/Atantic Ocean. I also missed an important point. That of Sea Level rising and falling due to heat expansion. But the temperature varies all over the globe and also with Seasons. So we don't have a smooth rise all over the Ocean with that either. So the Ocean is up and down all the time all over the place. Hence the inability to accurately measure it. And the people behind the research have stated that. That's the Pro side by the way.

afaik

arctic, north pole ice is floating 

so, as you say, melting it won't make a difference to sea levels

it's the west greenland? ice shelf

and antartica's kilometer? thick ice cap that we don't want melting 

plus all the water currently locked up in glaciers in the himalayas, patagonia etc

Ice sheets contain enormous quantities of frozen water. If the Greenland Ice Sheet melted, scientists estimate that sea level would rise about 6 meters (20 feet). If the Antarctic Ice Sheet melted, sea level would rise by about 60 meters (200 feet).

Local weather conditions can play a big part in actual recorded tide levels. Global warming probably does play a part but probably a lot less than most people think.Tidal predictions for Auckland  have remained pretty constant at around 12ft (3.6m) over the the last fifty years but in recent years we have seen predicted  3.6m tides go as high as 3.85 due to local weather, however large tides are nothing new. The 1930's saw a tide go over 13ft (4.00m). Two roads that are most susceptible to flooding, Tamaki Drive and the Northwestern motorway between Waterview and Patiki Rd both suffered the same problem and that was the roads sinking into the mudflats both roads have dropped around on metre since built. The Councils are also allowing people to built in flood  prone areas so these flooding problems are becoming more prevalent.