Fined for creating a dangerous wave

The primary question being: why doesn't NZ have boat licences? Demerits for idiots like these and the fools hooning through diving area would make them learn. On Saturday in Auckland Harbour a plea to slow down came over Channel 16 from the authorities to idiots hooning around the harbour. Some of them came too bloody close to me too. And the week before, some idiot decided the best way to avoid a collision was to stand on the gas and hoon a few metres in front of my bow.

dockside at Panmure on Saturday I had to contend with idiots in rowing skiff chase tinnies throwing up wakes as they hooned in to the ramp.  Then when I motored out to Musick Pt I had one fizz nastie pass me to stb while he was "driving on the left" of the channel - and that was after I put the helm down 150m out.  Fucker then had the gall to gesticulate to me about the "rules of the road".  I told him to "go away" and read the right book. 

Boat licences won't do anything to solve ignorance Kevin.  A personal willingness to educate yourself on how to boat will. 

I absolutely agree with your sentiments on poor behavior Kevin, I just don't think licencing is the way to resolve it. I think licencing would be terrible.

There are three areas that would assist in addressing the poor behavior issue:

1) education (of the current rules, there are tactfully loads of them, they are adequate)

2) advertising / promotion / general communication of the current rules (i.e. the Christmas holiday road speed limit coverage, or 'a make it click' type campaign

3) actual enforcement of the current rules.

I've never ever seen any form of enforcement of anything on the water. I was astounded to see and be questioned by a DoC officer at Long Bay regards the marine reserve, having taken my two year old for a row to the beach when anchored just off (DoC guy was walkign up teh beach looking for dodgy fisho's). It was handy, as there was a dodgy kayak fisho around the point that needed sorting.

Reading the article, the Whangarei Harbour Master complained that they buys boat "was enough to rock his Surtees". That sort of commentary makes the law and the harbour master sound like dicks. It misses the point and just alienates good boaties. Was it a dangerous wake, was he too close? The story doesn't say what hte actual problem was. The guy charged may have been behaving badly, but the story makes the event sound like something any responsible boatie could be guilty of.

Unfortunately i think it is only a matter of time before boat licenses are required, there are just too many idiots out there now. 

I find it strange that some people adhere to the rules of the road but seem to ignore everything once on the water as if they have some sort of god given right to be a dickhead, and then get super fired up when called out on it.

Unfortunately i think it is only a matter of time before boat licenses are required, there are just too many idiots out there now. 

I find it strange that some people adhere to the rules of the road but seem to ignore everything once on the water as if they have some sort of god given right to be a dickhead, and then get super fired up when called out on it.

Probably the ignorance of not knowing the rules that they don't know.

While there may appear to be some logic in licencing, I doubt it will work, as all the good boaties will get licences, the ignorant wont (or wont know they need to) and it all wont make any difference is the need for licencing isn't enforced, which brings us back to point 3 in my post above, just enforce the current laws.

• Upvote 1

I agree that enforcement would be a good start.  Even Westhaven could help by enforcing the 5 knot no wake requirement.  I'm on the very end of a pier and I am amazed at the number of boats (launches and yachts) that are way over 5 knots. Plus the occasional lack of thinking/courtesy, like person who thought they would try and overtake me as i slowed to turn into the fairway.

I have once, in the approx. 25 years that I've been on the water, seen someone pulled over by the HM - a small launch heading toward the eastern exit of Westhaven, clearly going more than 5 knots, past the HM who was coming in! 

The Harbour Master was patrolling the Tamaki River every day over the Christmas/New Year period, One time I was motoring up the river he did turn on the siren & chase a fizz boat that was clearly going too fast, I presume this would have been a regular occurrence although I've no idea of the outcome.

We have had enforcement via a harbor patrol in Tauranga for about 10 years now, initially the focus was on education but now it has turned to more handing out fines as most people know the rules they just choose to ignore them.

I did it myself for a couple of seasons a few years ago before getting over it, as it is constant, the amount of people who just choose to ignore the rules, the message doesn't seem to get through, some days we would talk to over 50 boats only to see the same boats doing the same thing a few days later.

dockside at Panmure on Saturday I had to contend with idiots in rowing skiff chase tinnies throwing up wakes as they hooned in to the ramp.  Then when I motored out to Musick Pt I had one fizz nastie pass me to stb while he was "driving on the left" of the channel - and that was after I put the helm down 150m out.  Fucker then had the gall to gesticulate to me about the "rules of the road".  I told him to "go away" and read the right book. 

Boat licences won't do anything to solve ignorance Kevin.  A personal willingness to educate yourself on how to boat will. 

Do not forget the wankers who are in the dry stack Mt Wellington,yep had one at the first red can from panmure telling me I need to be the stb side,anymore stb I would of been in the mud at the can.  Flare pistol springs to mind.

Just like the advertising they do for LJ's, I think they should be advertising on TV and signage at ramps etc, the Nav rules. Just the basics is all that is needed. And they need more patrolling on the water. CG needs more clout perhaps, that if they see someone breaking the rules, they can stop the rule breaker and give them a warning perhaps, or they send the boat info to the HM office. I had just last week, a Ski boat with single skier driving right along the Shore line and then turn right around us and another yacht, each of us on moorings and another boat fishing at anchor near by.
I don't want to see licence or reg. I don't see it solving anything if they don't patrol. And like the other countries that have such a system, they still don't enforce the rules we see get broken anyway. They tend to focus on the issues that make the most money in fines and forget the little stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Thinking back to when I was a kid, I'm pretty sure there were ads on the telly about safe boating. Dive flags, speeding, and lifejackets I think. Hosted by Donald Campbells daughter I think!

Here we go again. Like LJ's.....make a law,invoke licensing / registration / FEES ,employ enforcement Nazis, and Fines. Then all will be well ? At least the coffers will be well. And little will change. As a nation we really need to get over the 'big stick ' mentality but it will take a while . Wonder how the 5 days LJ blitz is working out in saving people. Like the road blitz lack of success it's probable that people are refusing to be saved on the water by this legislation. Bah humbug and total nonsense !

• Upvote 1

KM - agree it does not sound like Jim.

Any comments on the pics below?

qq.jpg

The pic was taken after the ship took action.

qqq.jpg

There was another small boat that cannot be seen.

The yachts racing on Saturday were fantastic at keeping clear - Thanks!!