You need a dive flag to snorkel in Marlborough already, but only if you enter the water from a boat, if you walk in off the land, no need. A mate has a kind letter from the harbour master and a dented bank balance to prove it.

In the US I was threatened by a guard/official of some stripe for swimming in a lake. There was a roped off area where people were so crowded they were standing shoulder to shoulder. So I went down the beach a bit and had a swim. (The lake was small enough I could have easily swum up and down the length of it.) I was told I faced a fine of several hundred dollars. Basically talked my way out of it with a very useful kiwi accent.

Well it's on my marina I saw today sticking out of the berth. ,I would think that the Marina bunch should be on alert to deal to this stuff as there precaution first , it's takes a month for it to be 6 in long quick growing , otherwise if some other body gets into gear wanting to charge us for this the Marina companys will take that over as another profit Fees , handling , and administration, bull Sh-t on boaties , I see antifouling seems to keep it a bay unless it's old paint , the way around it is to copper sheet the sides of the berth fingers maby

Totally agree, sailing up to Opua next week before we clear to head to Tonga and I see you must have proof that the boat has been slipped in the last 6 months for a hose down or antifoul before you can get in the marina.  FFS what land do these idiots who run our Councils live in?  

Totally agree, sailing up to Opua next week before we clear to head to Tonga and I see you must have proof that the boat has been slipped in the last 6 months for a hose down or antifoul before you can get in the marina.  FFS what land do these idiots who run our Councils live in?  

My understanding is that the boat needs to be slipped within the last 30 days for a wash-down if the anti-foul is greater than 6 months old.

http://www.nrc.govt.nz/Maritime/Our-marine-environment/visiting-a-northland-marina-this-summer/

hmm, I'd dispute that. Snorkeling is not diving. Many people do it on the surface - how about swimming then??

He did question it later, not an official dispute, but a phone call asking for clarification. He was pointed to the harbour regs: 'The master of every vessel from which dive operations are in progress must ensure that Flag A is displayed in such a manner that it can be clearly identified by the watch keeper or lookout from another vessel at a distance in excess of 200 metres.', without defining what dive ops means. Swimming is ok, BUT not 'within any designated anchorage or mooring area'....... hmmmmmm.....