Whale strike?

Does anyone know what a whale strike feels like?

This afternoon in Hauraki Gulf we hit a hard submerged object whilst motor sailing at 8kts about 1nm SE of GH. There was a solid ‘thump’ sound and feeling and then boat slowed to half speed but no change in engine speed or vibrations. No immediate signs of water ingress.

I slowed boat down put engine into reverse briefly in the hope that whatever we had fouled would drop off. Then resumed normal engine revs and boat returned to normal speed with no after-effects immediately evident eg steering.

Dived on boat on berth but zero signs of any impact on bow, keel, rudder, drive gear or general hull.

Remains a mystery what we hit. It was something heavy enough to really slow us down but not hard enough to show any signs of impact.

If you’d asked me immediately after the sound and feeling of the impact I’d have said we must have hit a large log possibly clogged with weed - to create the drag.

But given no impact marks that seems less likely and possibly something softer like a small whale.

But I’m not sure how hard or soft a whale impact feels.

Any experiences to share?

Had a very simialr experience outside White Island enroute to East Cape; boat hit something (soft but firm), slowed right down didn't lurch off course, was like running into a muddy sand bar but almost instantly came free. Nothing was seen over the side-behind us following the incident. About 15 mins latter we did spot a SunFish and we have often wondered if it was one of them. If it was a fishy object, it was like we ran along the side, not a T-bone collision.

I think the boat was Time Machine, she was also saiiling through the same area and they hit something that damaged the rudder. Never did hear what they tought it was they hit.

Hit one on a Cav 32 coming back from Fiji. I was in the cockpit and felt nothing but the off watch crew did. 

The water was discoloured and the whale surfaced about 100m behind the boat. 

No damage inside or out.

Thread drift. We saw a small seal south of Whangaparaoa Sat. Not happy teeth but one of the cute little guys that lie on their back and stick their flippers in the air. Didn't know we had them this far north.

a couple of years ago

a fisherman in the waitemata had his snapper? taken from the line at the boat by a seal

Thread drift. We saw a small seal south of Whangaparaoa Sat. Not happy teeth but one of the cute little guys that lie on their back and stick their flippers in the air. Didn't know we had them this far north.

We've seen seals off Weiti and around the Long Bay area before. They often look like a log just lying in the water, especially when they are having a wee nap.

I think there may have even been one right up the river and on the ramp at Weiti in the winter several years ago.

It's easiest to spot them, and other things like the Little Blue Penguins when it is glassy calm (not good sailing weather). We now call glassy calm weather "good penguin hunting weather" as my daughter loves penguins. Last April on a glassy calm day we saw maybe 100 penguins around Tiri channel and Wellington Reef area. They molt from Dec to March, so are out having a good feed March / April (Penguin hunting season).

The calm weather is also the best time to see things like hammerheads stooging around underwater as well...

Sounds to me like a sunfish. Lots of them around the NZ coast this time of year. We saw 2 in the RNI last year.

I think you really would know about it if it had been a whale.

I have hit both a whale and sunfish(many times) as well as a log(almost took the rudder off the sunfast) and there was no way you wouldn't have known it was a whale and a log would leave marks and is a very different solid hit and bang. Whales are big things and leave lots of turbulence in the water whenever they move. Normally the tail will whip up out of the water a bit too. We had it slap the side of the boat when we hit mid tasman on whispers. Sunfish are more of a deflecting blow, just a slow down and often you dont even see them they really the the UFO (unidentified floating object) that are responsible for most collisions at sea.

• Upvote 1

I have no clue, but just to add, there have been several Whale sharks spotted around the NZ coast as well just recently. Personally, I had never heard of them being here before. Is that common? Hitting one of those is going to be a thump and a half as well.

Thanks Booboo - the voice of experience speaks and almost certainly clarifies what happened!

Hope the cruise is going well?

Cheers

Yes cruise is going well. In the BVI now and about to depart for Panama.

A couple of years ago we were sailing down past Bream head on a breezy day, choppy. 8 knots I suppose.

Evidently we surprised a whale enough for him to make an emergency dive out of our way. 

We only knew as we ran over the clear/tail turbulence and the contents of the ballast tank he blew on the way down. Roughly enough material to fill an average saloon car.

Manta ?    a buddy had dial a manta hitting his rudder at anchor at Musket last year. Turn on his blue transom lights, manta arrives, stays as long as the lights are on. We'd go over and watch him for ages.

Two big ones at Barrier at christmas too, doing the underwater feeding loops in between  Coppermine and the needles.