Jump to content

Solo TransTasman Yacht Challenge 2023


Recommended Posts

Race preparations are ramping up with the closing date for entries just 6 weeks away.  

There are currently 8/9 boats lined up for the start from both sides of the Tasman; including a Swan 44, Young 11, Contessa 32, Challenger 39, Elliot 9, Rogers 36, North Sea 24, Verdier 40 and Dickson 45.

https://www.solo-tasman.co.nz/

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Ex Elly, nothing against you personally mate, but do you know why the new organizers of this race made it 9metre min loa.

Why? 

Past finishers such as Roger Taylor's ROC, Bill Belcher's RAHA, Andrew Fagan's SWIRLY WORLD and some others, all well under 9m - why put in a rule that takes small boat sailors out of the mix, and turn it into yet another humdrum run of the mill AWB commercialised wank off yacht race? 

Size is not an overall  indication of sea worthiness. 

Just my opinion, and as I say, nothing personal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zozza said:

Hey, Ex Elly, nothing against you personally mate, but do you know why the new organizers of this race made it 9metre min loa.

Why? 

Past finishers such as Roger Taylor's ROC, Bill Belcher's RAHA, Andrew Fagan's SWIRLY WORLD and some others, all well under 9m - why put in a rule that takes small boat sailors out of the mix, and turn it into yet another humdrum run of the mill AWB commercialised wank off yacht race? 

Size is not an overall  indication of sea worthiness. 

Just my opinion, and as I say, nothing personal.

These length limits tend to be so that the majority of the fleet isn't hanging around waiting for boats to finish so they can get on with the celebrations. 

Also the races and the functions are still run by volunteers, and volunteers have far more demand on there time than they did years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

These length limits tend to be so that the majority of the fleet isn't hanging around waiting for boats to finish so they can get on with the celebrations. 

Also the races and the functions are still run by volunteers, and volunteers have far more demand on there time than they did years ago. 

Not sure those arguments would apply here.  Historically they finish over a period of days, if not weeks.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still been one of the few offshore racers that an average sailor can afford a boat to compete in, although this is changing more recently. Performance wise, a modern smaller offshore racer is considerably faster than an old 45 ftr. Provided the whole race is not to weather!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla II said:

Talking of Andrew Fagan and Swirly World does anybody have any news about his Pitcairn rescue after rudder failure.

First I've heard of it.  Didn't even know he was sailing Swirly World  offshore at this time.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Priscilla II said:

Talking of Andrew Fagan and Swirly World does anybody have any news about his Pitcairn rescue after rudder failure.

Would definitely be interested in any updates, here is me mildly anxious about taking a  12 ton 38 ft BrickS**t house Hood 38 to Fiji next year and he goes to Pitcairn in a 17 foot Plywood boat, the guy is an absolute  inspiration !

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 year old article says:

"Swirly World in Perpetuity – the diminutive keeler skippered by Andrew Fagan – is getting set to sail the oceans again in search of a circumnavigation record around the four Great Capes."

"He has worked for the past three years as a watchkeeper on the Pitcairn supply ship MV Claymore ... "

"I’m looking at a lightweight liferaft, lightweight batteries for coms, and a heavyweight me that needs to lose some weight, and I imagine this will be a good way to do it and, after working on the Pitcairn ship, I want to have a AIS (automatic Identification System) – you’d be crazy to do it without one."
 

https://boatingnz.co.nz/swirly-waves/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought a 'name' like him,  being rescued on Swirly World  in the Pacific,  would have made the news.  No news, and nothing on the internet apart from that old story Ex Elly has referenced.

Maybe Priscilla can come back and quote his source about this apparent rescue?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is true that he was rescued, I have a friend that knows him well and filled me in on what happened.

He kept everything on the downlow for this one I think and from what I was told it wasnt really a rescue as such, he had rudder issues and then took an opportunity to get off the boat onto a passing ship or something. I didnt think he was anywhere near pitcairn island though, would have been well south?

On another note I had a really intereting meeting last week with some guys who plan to do a 2 handed world circumnavigation record in a boat uner 20ft (globe 580) next year. Boat is getting built in manly and launching late this year.  Obviously lots of hurldes to try and work through but they are pretty knowlegeable and are putting a good campaign together.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B00B00 said:

It is true that he was rescued, I have a friend that knows him well and filled me in on what happened.

He kept everything on the downlow for this one I think and from what I was told it wasnt really a rescue as such, he had rudder issues and then took an opportunity to get off the boat onto a passing ship or something. I didnt think he was anywhere near pitcairn island though, would have been well south?

On another note I had a really intereting meeting last week with some guys who plan to do a 2 handed world circumnavigation record in a boat uner 20ft (globe 580) next year. Boat is getting built in manly and launching late this year.  Obviously lots of hurldes to try and work through but they are pretty knowlegeable and are putting a good campaign together.

Thanks Booboo. What happened to Swirly World itself?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, B00B00 said:

On another note I had a really intereting meeting last week with some guys who plan to do a 2 handed world circumnavigation record in a boat uner 20ft (globe 580) next year. Boat is getting built in manly and launching late this year.  Obviously lots of hurldes to try and work through but they are pretty knowlegeable and are putting a good campaign together.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SmallfryRacing

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm  not accusing anyone of anything here.....but is this all 3rd, 4th, 5th hand?  He may have wanted to keep things on "the downlow" but there is no way a media personality like Andrew is going to be able to keep a rescue out of the news.  There is not one iota of info on the web about this rescue, and I just find that next to impossible in this modern online age .

Some of the things I'd like to know is what of Swirly World?  Left to drift, seacocks opened & scuttled, or was she towed to port somewhere and salvaged (unlikely way out there in the Pacific).

And what of the supposed rudder failure? There is no shame in being rescued due to this sort of gear breakage, and I'm sure he would have tried a jury rig of sorts on the rudder.  We can all learn from episodes like this.

Anyway, for me this remains a bit of a yacht club bar story, and I'm sure the people are telling the story as verbatim as they first heard it, and then passing it on, but for now I remain unconvinced.

And if this was the start of his great capes non-stop attempt, I think that too would be next to impossible to keep out of the news, when you think of the sponsorship he was chasing and the big article by Boating NZ 3 or 4 years ago about the proposed voyage. 

Anyway, factual or not, I wish Andrew all the best. He is an inspiration to us small boat sailors with far horizon's in mind.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...