Pauhia ferry crash

10 hours ago, K4309 said:

PS, I'd be most appreciative if one of you inteligent gentlemen could explain to me how it is that Kiwirail can't do it's job and needs regulator intervention.

There are plenty of examples of regulator intervention across the business and govt sectors.

I've no idea why KiwiRail has had this current problem which appears to be human error.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, aardvarkash10 said:

There are plenty of examples of regulator intervention across the business and govt sectors.

I've no idea why KiwiRail has had this current problem which appears to be human error.  

And the joke?? They're going to put buses on from papakura but the drivers are on strike.

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, harrytom said:

And the joke?? They're going to put buses on from papakura but the drivers are on strike.

No - the only strikers are the drivers employed by NZ Bus, who only have the contracts for a portion of the network (mainly just the central isthmus services); and the strikes are only from 4.00 am to 8.00 am, ie not when Te Huia arrives/departs. Kiwirail can charter buses from any operators.

But in any case I can’t imagine why a passenger from Hamilton would transfer to a slow bus at Papakura to get dropped at The Strand (aka Siberia) when they could simply cross the platform at Papakura and transfer to a fast electric train which runs every 10 minutes and takes them straight into the heart of the city at Britomart (or to any other station across the network).

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

No - the only strikers are the drivers employed by NZ Bus, who only have the contracts for a portion of the network (mainly just the central isthmus services); and the strikes are only from 4.00 am to 8.00 am, ie not when Te Huia arrives/departs. Kiwirail can charter buses from any operators.

But in any case I can’t imagine why a passenger from Hamilton would transfer to a slow bus at Papakura to get dropped at The Strand (aka Siberia) when they could simply cross the platform at Papakura and transfer to a fast electric train which runs every 10 minutes and takes them straight into the heart of the city at Britomart (or to any other station across the network).

the whole situation is farcical.

I get on the AKL trains at Papakura each morning at about the same time that Te Huia is pulling in.  The increase in use has been easy to see - the decline because of this will be similarly obvious I expect.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

- the decline because of this will be similarly obvious I expect.

Yup. No train = no one gets on or off! :)

Seems like throwing baby out with bathwater though doesn't it? As someone else pointed out the train didn't go rogue - it was the train driver who shoulda been caned within an inch of his life. 

I'd expect we will be hearing a governmental apology to the train in years to come.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

the whole situation is farcical.

I get on the AKL trains at Papakura each morning at about the same time that Te Huia is pulling in.  The increase in use has been easy to see - the decline because of this will be similarly obvious I expect.

I am fairly concerned for the people that bought a house they could afford in Hamilton that already worked in Auckland, or live in Hamilton and took a job in Auckland on the basis that there was a scheduled commuter service.

That said, if there are fast commuter trains from Papakura, why does Te Huia need to go into the city? I understand there is already track capacity issues?

My suspicion (you can call it a conspiracy theory if you like) is that coordinating the various train schedules into Auckland is too complicated, and this is a good excuse to stop Te Huia at Papakura, transfer all punters onto existing services, and just have a far simpler network to manage. Possibly coinciding with the Minister for Transport and Auckland getting the heave-ho.

6 hours ago, K4309 said:

That said, if there are fast commuter trains from Papakura, why does Te Huia need to go into the city? I understand there is already track capacity issues?

This.

37 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Te Huia only went to the Parnell station, never to the Britomart.

Te Huia terminated at The Strand station, not Parnell station. But in any case it was more logical to get off at Papakura or Puhinui and just take the next train direct to Britomart (or Newmarket or anywhere else).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lindsay said:

Te Huia terminated at The Strand station, not Parnell station. But in any case it was more logical to get off at Papakura or Puhinui and just take the next train direct to Britomart (or Newmarket or anywhere else).

And now need to purchase a hop card if commuter's to use AK train/bus network, 

Lets see how long NZ bus drivers keep their jobs,not collecting fares next 3 days,be regarded as theft me thinks.

Just go back to the good ole days of Ara buses?

Well AT has paid NZ Bus a top up to enable them to pay the Auckland drivers the same hourly rate as Wellington Christchurch and Dunedin drivers get but NZ bus has decided to pocket the money.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, waikiore said:

Well AT has paid NZ Bus a top up to enable them to pay the Auckland drivers the same hourly rate as Wellington Christchurch and Dunedin drivers get but NZ bus has decided to pocket the money.

AT grow some balls,pay your drivers or we want a refund??

19 hours ago, waikiore said:

Not quite the case. I think you will find that the unionised NZ Bus drivers (Auckland) want the new rate and retain all of the original terms associated with previous agreements. I for one can't remember the last time I was paid double time to work on the weekend, or at night, definiately have never been paid $60/h to do so.

2 hours ago, Bradz said:

Not quite the case. I think you will find that the unionised NZ Bus drivers (Auckland) want the new rate and retain all of the original terms associated with previous agreements. I for one can't remember the last time I was paid double time to work on the weekend, or at night, definiately have never been paid $60/h to do so.

I am today.double time.Roughly $72 ph and it's a 12 hr day.rather not be working but big boys/girls want greasy food.. Driver.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, harrytom said:

I am today.double time.Roughly $72 ph and it's a 12 hr day.rather not be working but big boys/girls want greasy food.. Driver.

Yes, as required by legislation, however a Friday is not a weekend. The above mentioned drivers, too are entitled to penal rates for yesterday.

1 hour ago, Bradz said:

Yes, as required by legislation, however a Friday is not a weekend. The above mentioned drivers, too are entitled to penal rates for yesterday.

Ours is a company offer. No unions at our place.Still prefer not to work public holidays but as least I get Sat/Sun off

Pretty generous as 3% of hourly rate extra if start before 4.00am or 10% extra to work saturdays works out roughly $150 extra taxable though but they dont have to do it and some still moan,easy work,pallet on pallet off,very little manual work and still cant retain staff.