Poo pipe part 2

12 hours ago, K4309 said:

Question, what do people do on the prevention front?

I'm on a mooring so don't have direct access to fresh water to flush the whole system every time I leave the boat. I do put 4 cups of fresh water in so that the pump and seals are in fresh water and don't get calcified (which stuffs seals and makes the pump fail).

White vinegar sounds very easy, and is cheaper than water fairly much.

I do see a heat exchanger clean in my future, meaning I need to get some Rydelyme or Barnacle Buster, I wonder if a pre-emptive flush with one of those will prevent any future risk of blockages?

Apparently a dose of vinegar once a day will prevent calcification of the pipes . I have had good success eleminating holding tank stink with no-flex digestor . After researching the heck out of it it’s basically an oxygen bleach , flush a tablespoon once a day through your system and it neutralises the sulphur dioxide ? Stink . It has the added bonus of dissolving organic solids but it won’t shift calcium deposits . Once it runs out I will be using off the shelf supermarket oxygen bleach for a fraction of the price . It’s nice opening up the boat and not being greeted by a potpourri of rotovegas and diesel .

11 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Apparently a dose of vinegar once a day will prevent calcification of the pipes . I have had good success eleminating holding tank stink with no-flex digestor . After researching the heck out of it it’s basically an oxygen bleach , flush a tablespoon once a day through your system and it neutralises the sulphur dioxide ? Stink . It has the added bonus of dissolving organic solids but it won’t shift calcium deposits . Once it runs out I will be using off the shelf supermarket oxygen bleach for a fraction of the price . It’s nice opening up the boat and not being greeted by a potpourri of rotovegas and diesel .

I see the active ingredient is 80% Sodium Percarbonate. A quick google shows it available and loads of places, cleaning products supplies at $45 for 5 kg, home brewing supplies for $10.50 / kg.

Burnsco have the Noflex, $60 for 475gm.

I've been using BioMagic for my holding tank odours. Has similar claims as the Noflex. I can't find what the active ingredients are, but always assumed it is calcium nitrate, as it provides a preferential oxygen source for facultative bacteria. It's $60 for 5l, and I've only just started on a new bottle. It is effective at knocking back the holding tank odour.

I am keen to start adding white vinegar to the heads line though, to avoid the dreaded calcification. I might get some of that sodium percarbonate just for the shear pleasure of not having the hydrogen sulphide smell after not using the boat for a while. It's either that or a carbon filter for the siphon break vent, which is about $70 I think.

Just from a chemistry point of view, just be careful if you decide to mix acid ie hydrochloric, with alkali - ie Sodium hydroxide - you will get a LOT of heat. That's why earlier in the thread someone said always add acid to water rather than the other way around. Wear goggles and expect the possibility of  some spitting of hot liquid.

The conclusion of the tale is that the saw will come out tomorrow. The pipe is I'm too difficult access to fiddle with chemistry. 

I have two heads and will do the HCl treatment on the other. Basically, flush it through from the bowl to the holding tank. Then let it sit for a day or two and dilute it with lots of water and empty it to the sea.

Will probably replace the jabsco pump after. 

On 27/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, Island Time said:

Most waterline stain removers are oxalic acid... which you can buy from bunnings...

Talking about stain removers, does anyone know of the active ingredient in GRUNT ? which cleans up Stainless Steel, Dang stuff is now $40 for a small pottle (Burnsco) at that price I need a cheaper source.

33 minutes ago, Frank said:

Talking about stain removers, does anyone know of the active ingredient in GRUNT ? which cleans up Stainless Steel, Dang stuff is now $40 for a small pottle (Burnsco) at that price I need a cheaper source.

Oxalic acid. Buy it in powder form at Bunnings as concrete or brick cleaner. One tablespoon for a litre of water. 

Yep, I was told go to small diameter piping, flushes through more for the same volume flushed, so limits how much sits in the pipe.  Stick fresh water through at the end of the trip, quite a lot if your pipe length is long then vinegar.

12 hours ago, dutyfree said:

Yep, I was told go to small diameter piping, flushes through more for the same volume flushed, so limits how much sits in the pipe.  Stick fresh water through at the end of the trip, quite a lot if your pipe length is long then vinegar.

Really?  I'd have thought that was asking for a blockage. 

47 minutes ago, Addem said:

Really?  I'd have thought that was asking for a blockage. 

Paradoxically, it is the other way round. Small diameters mean higher velocities which convey the solids out. If the diameter is too great you don't get sufficient velocity to move the solids, you just move the water. The solids accumulate and eventually block up.

You need velocities greater than about 0.6 m/s to move solids. I've never worked out what the velocities are for a standard pump on marine heads, but I assume it can't be too far wrong cause the tend to work most of the time.

Obviously there is a practical constraint with going too small. You couldn't use 15mm bute pipe for fairly obvious reasons

• Haha 1