Auckland Tauranga Race on hold

Postponement of the Altex Yacht & Boat Paint Auckland to Tauranga Yacht Race

It is with a mix of regret and careful consideration that we announce the postponement of the Altex Yacht & Boat Paint Auckland to Tauranga Yacht Race (Altex A2T) to the year 2025. This decision, reached through extensive discussions within the Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat Club (TYPBC), is the result of various critical factors that have influenced our assessment of the 2023 event and its future viability.

Limited entries in 2023 were a significant concern, with the race experiencing a lack of participation from both Tauranga and Auckland. Only 4 entries from Tauranga and 7 from Auckland raised doubts about the likelihood of a significant improvement in these numbers in the coming year.

Competition and scheduling also posed challenges, as numerous competing events created a significant hurdle. Scheduling conflicts with key events like Sail GP, the newly introduced Harbour Classic, and existing races and regattas also limited available dates around March 2024.

The efforts of approximately 60 volunteers from TYPBC were commendable – they cheerfully and willingly invested their time and energy in hosting the event, and it was crucial for them to see reasonable revenue generation for the club.

Sponsor recognition is an important factor, with an acknowledgment of the generous support from Altex A2T sponsors; the decision to postpone aims to provide our sponsors with a more rewarding experience in the future.

Looking forward over the next year, we plan to diligently re-examine options for a spectacular return in 2025. We understand the disappointment this may bring to the yachting community, but we believe this decision is in the best interest of the event's long-term success.

We express our sincere gratitude to all participants, sponsors, and volunteers for their dedication and understanding. Let us collectively prepare for an even more thrilling Altex Yacht & Boat Paint Auckland to Tauranga Yacht Race in 2025.

Fair winds and following seas,
Auckland to Tauranga Race Committee & Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat Club

By yachting, we are talking racing and the level out on the course  is now is generally lower than it was in the heyday of the 80's and 90's. Less people club sailing = less crew, less people moving up the grades. Why? there are lots of reasons e.g. demographics, available free time,  cost (of ownership) the demise of the NZ marine industry, a lot of clubs (with some exceptions) spending all their spare time shooting themselves in both feet and forgetting they exist for the sailors. Lack of effective political representation, no one doing anything about changing the false the perception of yachting as an elite sport (keelboating as crew has to be the cheapest sport, all you need is a raincoat and a pulse) etc.  

• Upvote 2

And even more surprising they chose to support RAYC. I can only assume they want to move into the dinghy market? Or perhaps coffee and scone market? Doyles coffee with a side of carpark? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4
On 26/10/2023 at 7:33 PM, ex Elly said:

Postponement of the Altex Yacht & Boat Paint Auckland to Tauranga Yacht Race

The efforts of approximately 60 volunteers from TYPBC were commendable – they cheerfully and willingly invested their time and energy in hosting the event, and it was crucial for them to see reasonable revenue generation for the club.

Quite frankly they were bloody amazing this year.  Best welcome ever.  But we could certainly see the writing on the wall.  I've always enjoyed this race and would love to see it back in 2025.  However it probably needs the support of a couple of Auckland clubs to get the numbers up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not just their Winter series , their cruising and offshore programmes were great, however the place was run remotely by some of the old guard through the late eighties and early 90s with not so many sailing actively -then there was a big slump in membership -before the marina was built and the new crowd (spencer -dinghies Marine Sport centre takeover)

4 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Numbers not looking great this close to the start .

https://rayc.co.nz/sail-wave/24_BOP380_Competitors.htm

We're out this year. Too many crew (including myself) have had sea survival expire.

I don't understand why squadron can do a race to three kings @ cat 2 with no sea survival requirement. Mhyc can do cc around the not insignificant Cape Brett rounding, where many a boat has come unstuck, without the need for a liferaft or dinghy at cat 3-, and rayc needs a cat 3+, which is pretty much the same as a cat 1 without the out-of-water inspection, for going around corromandle...

There is much inconsistency from YNZ.   I cannot help but feel if that if the requirements were aligned there would be more participation by the virtue of there being more certified boats and people. 

• Like 3

Unless I missed something,  it seemed like it only got announced 3 weeks before the race... not too many of us are flexible enough with work, family, general life (especially in late November, silly season) to get organized for a big event like that with 3 weeks notice.

15 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

I don't know who is running RAYC but they are running a sports boat regatta where all the sport boats have to comply with trailer yacht safety regulations part V and have a phrf

:-) 

https://rayc.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Under-26ft-Keelboats-RAYC-NOR-final.pdf

And all boats including the 18ft skiffs and flying elevens are required to have a VHF capable of operating on VHF 17/77

It's that jolly Advanced Sea Survival Course slowing everyone down.  Once you've done it a couple of times the novelty really wears off and it feels a bit pointless.  It's a bit like asking to sit your driving licence every couple of years.  I'm not senile. (yet)

• Upvote 4
On 12/11/2023 at 7:59 PM, Deep Purple said:

I don't know who is running RAYC but they are running a sports boat regatta where all the sport boats have to comply with trailer yacht safety regulations part V and have a phrf

:-) 

https://rayc.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Under-26ft-Keelboats-RAYC-NOR-final.pdf

Looks like RAYC need to make the distinction between sports trailer yachts, which are covered by Part V, and Sportsboats which can be very different and are covered by Part VI.

Maybe they could ask the BOI race week people for some guidance?

On 11/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, CarpeDiem said:

We're out this year. Too many crew (including myself) have had sea survival expire.

I don't understand why squadron can do a race to three kings @ cat 2 with no sea survival requirement. Mhyc can do cc around the not insignificant Cape Brett rounding, where many a boat has come unstuck, without the need for a liferaft or dinghy at cat 3-, and rayc needs a cat 3+, which is pretty much the same as a cat 1 without the out-of-water inspection, for going around corromandle...

There is much inconsistency from YNZ.   I cannot help but feel if that if the requirements were aligned there would be more participation by the virtue of there being more certified boats and people. 

The organising authority decides the CATEGORY of races they run, they need sign off from YNZ but they (YNZ have very little current knowledge on running keelboat events.

Advanced Sea Survival is a standard set by world sailing, I did my 4th one earlier in the year where a 2hr online refresher would have been just as much use.

Just to give you a bit of warning Razz,

SSANZ is now organising a Two Handed Northern Triangle for 2025 (only 15months away).

It will be Cat 3 plus AIS and a qualifying race/passage required, have stopovers at Mangonui and Marsden Cove.

Be a total of approx 490nm with a mixture of legs from 160nm, 250nm to a final sprint of 70nm, YB Trackers the whole nine yards.

Evolution Sails are back onboard, it’s going to be huge.

Fleet limited to 40, NOR out before year end and entries open 1st of April 2024

• Upvote 1

We're in. 

Now why is this one so much more exciting and attractive than the BOP 380?

It must be so frustrating for the likes of RAYC to see SSANZ constantly pop up with over subscribed events.

1.  SSANZ do this stuff really well.  They just seem to know what we want.

2. It's Cat 3, no Safety Survival Course.

3. It's SSANZ, did I mention that already.

4. Everyone's 2 handed, not just a division.

5. The stopovers are fun.

6. TONS of notice.

I'll be standing in line for this one.