Coastal cruiser for NZ waters

Hi , 

I currently co-own Raven 26 (awesome little boat ) but as my buddy will be leaving country in next couple months I am thinking of selling raven and put some extra coins to get some bigger boat where I could comfortably live for 2-3 weeks at the time and explore coast of NZ ( I am Akl Based ) and maybe over next few years build up into pacific cruiser  ( if that's even good idea to invest money into the boat instead of buying one which is rdy ). Space to accommodate at least 4 ppl.

Was thinking something around 32-36ft - Cavalier 36, Maybe raven 31 , ?? any suggestions ?

With selling Raven and my camper I could have around  50k - plus some extra cash for protentional upgrades as solar and so on or stretch up to 55k if boat would be setup already.

Looking forward to hear from others more experience sailors.

new to this forum so if this not good thread or some other issues please delete .

Tried to search for some similar topic ( found something but not completely what I was looking for )

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. 

Agree that Raven is a great starter boat and the next upgrade should be 30-35 foot for the money you're thinking.

There have been lots of very similar questions like this asked so you should be able to dredge them up through the search. 

The repeating themes are:

Costs rise exponentially with boat size.  Eg If stay below 10.5m you save having to pay for a 12m berth. A 40mm shackle is something like 50% cheaper than a 60mm one. 

Don't buy a do up. Buy the best boat you can. So smaller will be cheaper and still give you a great coastal boat. I'm Uncertain about off shore but if that is a future goal then stick with the best coastal boat you can get. Lots of people on here have different views on offshore boats but are all quite closely aligned on coastal ones. 

30 foot boats are very good value and still accommodate 4 berths and infinite scope for adventure.  Imo when youre starting You get the same pleasure from a Cav 32 as a Cav 36 or lotus 9.2 as a lotus 10.

GET A SURVEY. Nothing more needs to be said on this. 

Have fun looking and keep asking around. Feel free to post your prospects here as Crewers will either know the model or even the actual boat and can tell you lots. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

`You say you want to cruise the coast for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. That can easily be done in your Raven 26. In my younger days we used to cruise for 3 to 4 weeks at Xmas from Auckland to the BOI or Barrier with two kids on board. Cheap cruising in a small boat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Miro - we meet on FB in the NZ Sailing page where I warned on budgeting for the costs of Cat1

This forum is infinitely better informed and focussed that the FB pages, so you should feel free to ask quetions here and you will get considered and informed responses.  Many (not me) here have done significant sea miles in all sorts (Cav 32 represent!!) and can give you wisdom, warnings and wonderment in about equal measure.

Addem covers the main themes well above, and plenty of others will chime in.

Welcome.

• Like 1

This isn't hard advice but I would think about what you want the boat to do. Serious ocean cruising the Van de Stadt, it will work for coastal but comes into its own offshore. Coastal cruising the Farr or the Alan Wright would probably be better and either could handle the odd trip to the islands properly handled.  It comes down to what's in your head.

What others have said here is good. Please take this as intended - to help show what's required. Cat one is expensive - not in itself, (inspection is $115) but in preparing a yacht properly for Blue Water. That being said there is little I wouldn't do that is in the regs before leaving 

Read this stuff..

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/default/files/2022-03/YAC240587 YachtingNZ Safety Regulations - Mar2022 - ONLINE_0.pdf

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/default/files/2018-10/Safety Inspectors Checklist.pdf

It will give you some idea. Most people (almost all) severely underestimate the time and effort required to do this. You may need to take an experienced crew member with you on your first passage. If you can find a boat that has recently been in cat one, that has great benefits! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 6/02/2024 at 9:09 PM, Black Panther said:

Wow. That thing is getting down to Pogo displacement - could go like a scalded cat if used well. 
this would be my pick for coastal cruising - fast boats make great coastal cruisers because you can effectively increase your range while still keeping your job, lol. 

2 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Wow. That thing is getting down to Pogo displacement - could go like a scalded cat if used well. 
this would be my pick for coastal cruising - fast boats make great coastal cruisers because you can effectively increase your range while still keeping your job, lol. 

IOR design. http://www.farrdesign.com/51.html

I'd guess they might be a little tender but haven't actually sailed one so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will weigh in. Personally I'd look at a 1020 for a cruiser but might be out of budget.

That 1104 is actually more like 6000kg , having sailed on her for a number of years, but yes quite effective in a blow on the wind as we proved in the mostly light one ton cup revival .

• Like 1

Revolution is one of the better ones. It has extra freeboard over standard and lots of experienced owner improvements. Not that I'm biased or anything....

The big advantage of the 1104 over a 1020 is the interior volume. The extra beam makes a difference. And Revolution has the best cockpit in a boat this size outside an E1050.

Not tender at all - she is a dream to sail shorthanded in a breeze. if anything considered a little sticky in the light vs a 1020.

Weight with all the gear, water etc was around 5 1/2 ton on the travel lift.

If it gets any cheaper I might have to have a chat with my wife! 

• Upvote 1