RNI Leg 4

muttley

The boats were rafted up 5+ deep beside Trinidad on the Events berth last night..... Pity anyone trying to head out thats berthed at the start of E or F Piers !

Pic's on the SSANZ site

Provisional overall results are now on the SSANZ site. Caro Vita yet to finish but that won't change points. Caro Vita's Elapsed times will improve thou...

I can only only see the first photo. The others flash up momentarily

I had this problem on my computer at work - solved it by pushing F11 or something up the top row there and then the same one again and they were there (hpfm!)

Well done to everyone that made it to the finish. I was out on someone else's boat last night and got to see a few of you guys coming up the harbour. I gave you all a big cheer, its a great achievement to make it around. Maybe we'll get another shot at it in 3yrs.

I was looking back over some of the scheds today; A question for Steve and Cameron... Did you guys really go right over the top of Pandora Bank?

http://www.ssanz.co.nz/news.html?id=250

We went inside it but were very close... close enough for the water to flatten out for a while and also let us hear the sound of waves roaring as they smashed themselves over the bank. Bit scary and we were definately paying close attention to depth and GPSS

Stellar effort by all involved. :thumbup: Hope those that fell by the wayside are focused more on what you did achieve than what you were not able to - still interested to hear progress from those boats that need a bit of work to get back into racing shape.

Incredible finish to see so many pouring home within a matter of hours.

Might also add that while this race has been taking place, it has been a...an unprecedented time onshore but that is no reason - in fact, probably all the more reason, to make the most of life in whatever is your chosen way.

Guest Brucey
And the fleet, by sounds have had injurys and some broken boats, but with half the fleet not making it half way, there must be some questions and I would hope YNZ inspectors should also be interested to understand why, for future reference.

Can someone with knowledge outline the issues experienced.

Are the boats to small

Boats to weak

Crews to inexperienced

Or conditions so atroucous 50% retirement is expected?

Above is a post during the RNI race, which went unanswered by anyone in a position to offer comment.

I'm not really au fait with the fleet but a quick look suggests some pretty substantial boats had issues.

There would be value in people knowing where and what caused the issues?

The guys who have just finished, some not in big boats obviously a huge achievement, it would be great to hear from you about conditions and issues experienced and any comments may you have.

I think there needs to be a distinction drawn between "this boat spontaneously imploded representing a systemic failure in New Zealand yachting" and "two tired guys with jobs and families decided it wasn't fun to keep sailing away from home any more."

The implication that the two might be one and the same is...the best I can say is "ill advised".

As Murky pointed out there were a good number of boats that retired from the race because it simply wasn't fun for them anymore. Nobody wants to pull the pin and personally I think it takes a lot of balls to pull out of a race just like it does to keep going when it gets tough. I will never criticise anyone for pulling out and I'm sure nobody made the decision lightly.

As for the boats that broke gear... I can tell you that YNZ are taking it seriously. I have already had a call from Michael Churchouse to discuss what failed on our boat and how well prepared we were to deal with clearing the rig etc. They are going to speak to all of the skippers that ran into trouble to see if there is anything that can be learned from the issues and I suspect this may result in changes to the Cat-II requirements if any widespread issues are found. I was very happy to discuss the incident with him and I think this is a positive move from YNZ.

I think more information about specific failures will come out over time but I wouldn't expect to see a lot in the public domain until insurance claims are settled and boats are back on water.

Geez - into the race post-mortems while many of the competitors are still hung-over. I know the stats don't look too good, but the race was a tough version of an already hard event and I'm not sure it red flags any issues with crews or boats.

I can't speak for the other boats that had issues but I don't mind responding on behalf of Mr. Roosevelt.

We had a very well prepared boat and we're an experienced crew. We did a whole lot of build up races and learnt a lot of lessons but had no issues with the boat.

While sailing in lumpy, but not extreme conditions we sailed over a very innocuous wave. The turnbuckle for the cap-shroud sheared clear in half. The two cylinders that screw into each other were still attached one inside the other and the rod connection was fine. The failure mode was a neat shear across both parts. It was like someone took a sword and sliced the fitting in half. The rig failed, collapsed in three parts and to avoid further damage to the boat we cut it all free.

Since getting ashore we've discovered that the fitting was part of a suspect batch that was subject to a recall by the manufacturer. We didn't know about the recall obviously. The rig had been serviced several times, including just before the race and the riggers didn't pick up on it either. We're not going to dwell on it now, but it's a cruel way to go out. At least we wont lose sleep wondering what went wrong, or thinking we did something wrong.

Maybe a notice board on the YNZ site (or on crew.org.nz?) where any recalls or notices regarding equipment can be browsed would be a good idea. I don't know how else we could have known about this issue. If the same thing happened to a family, a less prepared boat or in bad weather it would end up being more serious than our incident.

Like all the other competitors we got ourselves to safety and the boat is fine and it will be good as new in time for cruising at Easter.

We're really disappointed it ended the way it did but we wouldn't have done anything at all differently in the race or in our preparation.

We were pretty concerned to hear of similar issues affecting other boats as the race went on. It's a relief that all boats and crew were fine in the end. I would suggest that the absence of any serious issues probably showed that the safety regulations and systems were appropriate. I reckon the crews deserve credit for dealing with the problems they had. As far as the unforced withdrawals are concerned - deciding to pull out because of fatigue, concerns about vessels or even as suggested because it wasn't fun are all valid reasons and it showed good judgement.

If I had to comment on how we dealt with cutting the rig free - the bolt-cutters we had were totally useless and the hacksaw was the business (probably carry more than one in future). It took no more than 10 minutes to free it all up. The hydraulic fluid was going off like a fountain and made the deck slippery and dangerous. First of all we cut free up all the stuff at the mast-base and bow, only to find the backstay and runners holding the rig at the stern - which was not a good thing in retrospect because rudder or prop damage would've been pretty serious in the circumstances. I'd try to avoid this if I had to do it all over again.

Now everyone is finished Matt and I couldn't be more pleased for the boats that made it. We know how much people had invested into this race and we've got so much respect for everyone who met the challenges and finished the job. A huge congratulations to you all.

It's impossible to single out any one crew but I think there were a few honourable mentions. Rob Shaw deserves special credit for designing, building and sailing his own boat to such a good result. David Chalmers also built Vesper in his backyard and went on to sail it around the Island. Valium and Coppelia were consistently well sailed. The young guys on Pepe deserved a better outcome than they got. And of course well done to Pete and Rodney for a well earned win - people should try two-handing a 50 footer before suggesting they had it easier than the others.

It's early days but there's a bit of unfinished business for a fair number of us and the 2014 race is only 1074 sleeps away.

Could anyone comment about best places to anchor in Mangonui. I am heading that way this weekend and from memory there is not a lot of room. Are here any vsitor moorings ?

Also interested in any comments re Napier marina.

I am planning a cruise around NZ next summer and may stop there on the return leg

Thanks

real friendly bunch of people at Mongauni ,the guys at yacht club seem to know if boats are away and if moorings are free, plenty of room to anchor just depends on your draft,they even have a harbour master,sorry don't have any contact details for anyone there, but everyone seems to know everyone and whats going on.

never made it to Napier so can't help you there.

cheers Dave

Archived