Auckland - Musket Cove Ocean Race 2011 - Race Reports

Mothership

Nitro are doing ok !! They broke one rudder overnight and another this morning, they have spares in but have also sustained some minor damage to the transom. They are jury rigged and have a couple of drogues out so they can keep steering and try and keep the speed up.

They still have the little crown now so hope the rig up keeps them at the speed they have now for the remainder.

Go little Nitro !!!!

i think they need to redesign the steering system on nitro , when i saw it before the trans tasman it looked very light and had already failed once in sea trials , i was surprised it had got cat 1 at the time, i guess thats why they are carrying spares.

So I have read all the bull sh*t on the net how the vodafone has the Fiji record.

Like he'll!

Zana / konica minolta 3 days 10 hours 47 minutes

Go the lead mine!

Maybe next time!!!!!!

Yeah talk it up someone might be impressed.

Think the previous record to 'that side' was Antaeus Auckland to Denarau, Fiji, (four days, eight hours, 54 mins) but lets just forget that as well so we can say something that sounds more impressive.

"The Orma 60 crossed the finish line at approximately 1920hrs today, more than 18 hours ahead of the record of 120hrs 21mins 45secs set by Systems Thunder in 2008"

fond memories 2005, 5 days 3 hrs(as i recall) in a 39' ...

i suspect VB would have been close to the two day mark in that race, but the wind has been not with them as in most race records they have attempted.

I had to check this Specifically with the Squadron too because I was also working on Zana's record from 2005 as being the time to beat.

However they said that Zana's record was set in the Rayc's race to Suva, not the Rnzys's race to Musket Cove/Denerau, on the other side of the island. Any other faster times were different destinations or organised by other clubs.

So according to the Squadron record keepers the old Systems Thunder record of 120 odd hours was definitely the one to beat, which they did, although I am sure the guys on TVS will be very keen to attempt Zana's much faster record next time there is an opportunity to race to Suva.

If another club ran a race from Auckland to Paihia, or even to Russell, any fast times wouldn't count as records in the Coastal Classic. Same thing - different set of record books.

In the meantime it is completely fair and correct to say that TeamVodafoneSailing set a new record time in the RNZYS's Auckland to Musket Cove Race, and well done to them.

Guest Saturday Night Special

Record to the bay That infidel set in the early 60s stood for along time but only a few ever mentioned that one as it did not suit people agendas

I had to check this Specifically with the Squadron too because I was also working on Zana's record from 2005 as being the time to beat.

However they said that Zana's record was set in the Rayc's race to Suva, not the Rnzys's race to Musket Cove/Denerau, on the other side of the island. Any other faster times were different destinations or organised by other clubs.

So according to the Squadron record keepers the old Systems Thunder record of 120 odd hours was definitely the one to beat, which they did, although I am sure the guys on TVS will be very keen to attempt Zana's much faster record next time there is an opportunity to race to Suva.

If another club ran a race from Auckland to Paihia, or even to Russell, any fast times wouldn't count as records in the Coastal Classic. Same thing - different set of record books.

In the meantime it is completely fair and correct to say that TeamVodafoneSailing set a new record time in the RNZYS's Auckland to Musket Cove Race, and well done to them.

I didn't hear it but guess the newsroom shortened it to a five second sound bite and missed the crucial relevant detail. Anything I've sent out for TVS should be accurate. I was conscious of the difference.

Hopefully it's cleared up for people reading Crew now :D

Should we not also add

TeamVodafoneSailing set a new record time in the RNZYS's Auckland to Musket Cove Race Pitchfork division

For this very reason, you will never see an alteration to the "devonport wharf to russell wharf" course for the coastal. Do so and you throw away 30 years of records and history.

Pretty interesting thread to come back to...

Richard Gladwell's Sailing World article is a pretty good summary of how the race played out for TVS...

From our perspective most of the race there was not a lot of wind...

We took a 50/50 punt by going East and not covering the Camper boat.

Our weather routing showed no chance of a fast race up the rumb line.

However it did show that we had a chance of going under 3 days if we went right.

...It didn't play out that way, but we still had time to come back and catch the V70.

Got to say we were pretty relieved to have caught them!

From Sailing World:

"TeamVodafoneSailing has snatched a narrow win in the Auckland-MusketCove, Fiji race after a chase-down of Volvo Ocean Race entry, Camper sailed by Emirates Team NZ over the last 36 hours of the race.

The ORMA60 TeamVodafoneSailing, crossed the finish line off Musket Cover just before 7.30pm, Thursday evening.

Aftersome hard sailing on the final day, in the SE Trades, TVS passed Camper between the 1730 and 1800hrs reporting schedules with race organisers, the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron.

At 6.00pm TeamVodafoneSailing had taken the lead in the 1140nm race, and was 2nm ahead of Camper, with the VOR70 having 22.4nm to sail to finish.

TeamVodafoneSailing, skippered by Simon Hull, was officially recorded as finishing at 19:20:57 and Camper crossed the finish line just 18minutes later at 19:38:16 on 9 June.

The two yachts have been well separated for much of the 1,140nm Auckland to Fiji Race. At one stage Camper reported she had stretched out to be 174nm ahead of the ORMA60 trimaran, which was formerly Geant, winner of two trans-Atlantic races.

Pre-race, pundits expected TVS to romp home and slash the race record, however gale force winds forced the start to be delayed by 24 hours, and the race started at noon on Sunday, in light airs.

TeamVodafone Sailing followed her router-prescribed course to the east and separated from the rest of the fleet, led by Camper, with Emirates Team NZ's CEO Grant Dalton aboard.

TVS got stuck in light winds sailing for much of the time at 4-5kts, before getting a sniff if the SE Trades and cutting back onto the same direct line to Fiji as Camper.

The catch up started in earnest last night at 2200hrs when Camper still enjoyed a 100nm lead, which was erased in the space of 19-20 hours.

Speeds fluctuated over the final day with TVS being recorded as hitting speeds of 31.5kts but for much of the day she was sailing an average of 21.5kts compared to Camper's 17.7kts. In the final few hours of the race, TVS stepped up the pace staying over 25kts, with Camper hovering around the 18-20kt mark in the SE Trades.

The rest of the race fleet are still at sea, with third placed yacht on the water, the Bakewell-White design, Wired (Rob Bassett) still 320nm from the finish and sailing at just under 14kts.

The nine sailors onboard TeamVodafoneSailing include Owner and Skipper Simon Hull, Boat Captain Kevin Peet, Navigator Patrick O'Reilly, Paul (Casper) Murray, Stu (Disco) MacKinven, Ollie Scott-Mackie, Selby Howard, Paul O'Reilly, and Guy Hewson.

Fiji is TVS's first stop in an offshore calendar that will take in the Sydney to Gold Coast Race, the RQYC Brisbane to Keppel Race, the Airlie Beach Race Week, and Hamilton Island Race Week, before TVS returns to New Zealand for the Coastal Classic and the New Zealand summer racing season.

TeamVodafoneSailing's exit from the Hauraki Gulf, after the start on Sunday can be viewed on the Vodafone Play website click here to go straight to the full screen version. If you are using on an iPhone, please tilt the device horizontally to get the ideal view of both screens.

You can follow the whole fleet on the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron website www.rnzys.org.nz or click here to go straight to the Yellowbrick tracker and zoom in to see the individual race yacht's positions updated every 20 minutes.

by Richard Gladwell Share 10:45 AM Thu 9 Jun 2011 GMT"

If I've read it correctly, Waikiwi has won overall PHRF.

Nice work Simon.

And its good to see a cruiser racer that has been well campaigned in their build up having the roll of the dice go their way.

No DNFs this year. Also good to see, particularly after the RNI.

for the record on nitro we built new boards before the race and reinforced both stocks and transoms as we were aware the original boards that had done 6000 ocean miles in the last 12 months were slightly light on.

The 1st failure was a rudder blade exploding at 22knts of boatspeed in the middle of the night and we suspect hitting something.

We then put in 1 of the originals which failed less than 30mins later.

This was then replaced with the last original and that lasted about another hr.

At the time the boat was averaging mid teens with some sweet top speeds. Sea state was 2-3 mtr swell and 20knts. we were absolutly ripping it up and I had a couple shifts of 50miles in under 3hrs.

That afternoons sched showed vodafone was leading on handicap so we were going all out to make up time after a slow start.

After all it is a race not a delivery.

We then around 4am decided to back off and perserve the last rudder left ( a new one) and heavily reduced sail letting lion and pbf past.

around 12hrs later the port rudder pin sheared of and with it went the stock and transom and board.

This left us with a fair bit of damage and a starboard stock but no board to fit it. we cut a few rough bits off one of the remaining halves and wedged what we had left in the starboard stock.

We sure as hell never thought a half inch pin would snap in the middle and it was pretty unlucky chain of events.

Early morning showed if we could get sailing again at around 11 knts we could still win overall.

We were just drifting taking sleep and considering what was next to make it happen.

the half blade on the windward side was less than 8 inches in the water so we loaded that corner of the boat with all the weight and deployed anchor chains and ropes off the port hull.

The drag was incredible and when we were going 5-6knts the waves pushed us off course so we powered up and the faster we went the beeter the direction.

We sailed 440miles in this configuartion to average almost 12knts to the finish.

Could we have been better prepared. NO we had a lot of extra's on board and any boat that hits something will break. Just about every multi in auckland has the same rudder pins so how were we to know about that?

We had a great ride in a very safe fantastic boat with a very good crew.

Credit to chamberlan yacht design for s sweet ride and to steve for building it so well.

I Would like to see anyone else do what we achieved instead of sitting behind a computer gas bagging about how unsafe and under built things were.

Thanks rnzys for having the balls to run the 1st offshore multihull divison ever in Nz.

Well done TVS.

And epic to see waikiwi have such a big day out 1st time out.

All the boats including nitro are heading home tomorow in what looks like ideal conditions.

Get real get off the sofa and send it.

skins

Archived