2011 Round White Island

Cameron

Along the lines of "Do you have rocks in your head? What dumbarse would go racing through an area known to have semi-submerged containers in it?"

Something like that? I think you can be pretty confident that your insurance would be void as you would have carried out an activity in an area with a known risk. I think a course change, like up North, would be wise. Don't you?

Fortunately, Frenzy, Rigmarole and Fast Lane went through to Akl last weekend and are safely tucked up in Westhaven. Usually go a fortnight earlier in case the weather turns to something like we are having now.

You might want to talk to NIWA and get their current mapping. It's a fair bet they are flat out sorting this for Maritime NZ at present. Also the boat is so far inshore the local tide will come to play. More likely they'll be on the beach than on the rhumbline by then

The containers are a major concern with more that are bound to fall off the boat soon, judging by the photos on the NZ herald site today. Some may wash up on the beach but for sure some will make their way offshore. Pretty scary thought really mast head kite down the coast and a submerged shipping container, got Time To Burn written all over it !!! Hope RAYC are paying attention, I quite like sailing but I wont be happy if I die doin it!!

Due to the current situation with the Rena ship and its containers causing a major navigational hazard RAYC advise that there will most likely be a change in the course for this year’s White Island Race.

The proposed alternative course is: Start Orakei, Channel Is. (Stbd), Cuvier Is. (Port), Great Barrier Is. (Port), Poor Knights (Port), Sail Rock (Port), Finish Orakei.

We are monitoring the situation closely through Maritime New Zealand but can confirm that a race fitting the same qualifying criteria will be conducted starting Friday 25th November.

Mike Wilson

RAYC

What about the Legends races to Great Mercury Is?

The Legends Regatta is still all go at this stage, the Harbour board is busy keeping the shipping lanes clear and open so I would imagine they will be intent on clearing the containers as quick as possible apparently it would cost them $1,000,000 per day if they were to close the port.

At this stage they are all South West of the Harbour entrance, so won't be on the route from Tga to the Mercs and the currents in the area run from north to south, obviously the committee is watching the situation intently.

Ok new course is confirmed and no sat phone is required.

95% of Pork Chops entry is in so we'll be on the start line. Still looking for Fossil if anyone knows what rock he is lying flat on.

Skins, Sharpie, you boys in?

Fineline?

Who else is up for it, there isnt a entry list on RAYC website as of yet.

Archived