Westhaven Marina Bookings

Battleship

Anyone know what the deal is with the new rules?

Have just tried to book a berth for the AKL2TGA but they want a direct credit form filled so they can withdraw money from my bank account.

Not to happy about giving them access to withdraw whatever they want whenever they want, have stayed at the Marina at least 20 times before and have always paid them, what gives?

Gave them another call apparently all part of their new super efficient system, :roll: Whatever happened to walking up to their office, insurance papers and wallet in hand?

To be fair they are always very friendly and helpful over the phone, but the overload of forms and red tape does me in.

I booked recently. I just emailed them the booking form and copy of ins cert. Told them to ring me if they wanted my credit card number to debit the charge in advance otherwise send me the bill afterwards (which is what they normally do). They didn't ring but just sent me confirmation details for my booking so I expect they will send me the bill.

I think the D/D form is for longer-term rentals not casual visitors like us.

I don't do d/d anymore - not for nobody.

Silly question, but whats this D/D ?

Direct Debit - you sign a form that allows them access to your account.

I don't do d/d anymore - not for nobody.

Silly question, but whats this D/D ?

Direct Debit - you sign a form that allows them access to your account.

Oh right, I get it now, Who would do that :shock:

Never had sky, something about paying to watch television that doesn't sit well with me. And if that is a requirement then I never will.

Have you ever tried to stop someone taking money out of your account because you don't want their service anymore? For some unexplained reason it is really hard a and slow for them to undo a process they can put in place in seconds. It was easier to close the bank account and go to another bank.

What a PITA

I keep my boat on the poles and bring it into a berth everynow and again.

However now I need to fill out a form, re-submit my insurance details and give them ono monnth notice of change!

ONE MONTH NOTICE, how the hell do I know what the weather is going to be like if I want to extend a couple of day!s!

Told them I'm not interested, thier loss!

anyone wanna sell/rent me a mooring? :-)

SHANE

Have you ever tried to stop someone taking money out of your account because you don't want their service anymore? For some unexplained reason it is really hard a and slow for them to undo a process they can put in place in seconds. It was easier to close the bank account and go to another bank.

You're not wrong. Having had one "re-activate" itself a couple of years after it should have been deleted, I understand they are not taken out of the systems but are left there lurking in the background (out of what seems to be misplaced loyalty to the other party). Hard to think of a more "invasive" way of doing business. :twisted:

So, if I understand this correctly, the only way to pay Westhaven now is by DD?

I was under the obviously mistaken impression that if you had a bill to pay, cold hard cash could not be refused...

OR is legal tender no longer legal tender?

I refuse to let anyone or anything have access to my bank accounts. I've seen far too many mistakes made by the incompetent finance departments of many companies.

Rang them back and told them no way would I supply them with access to my bank account, so they reluctantly told me I could pay in advance by credit card, don't know what's going on down there.

I used to just call them up give them my insurance policy number they would book me a berth and send me a bill job done. Last year they wanted a rental agreement signed and a copy of my policy, this year they wanted a Direct Debit form plus insurance policy and a rental agreement.

Oh well these are the times we live in. :roll:

Wait till next year and they will want somebody else to pay on your behalf . . . as it will be impossible to contact you as you will be always out sailing during office hours.

Wait till next year and they will want somebody else to pay on your behalf . . . as it will be impossible to contact you as you will be always out sailing during office hours.

Do you know something that I don't?

I was planning on winning lotto sometime soon so you could be right. :thumbup:

I rent a berth on a long term basis at Westhaven and they seem happy to charge my credit card each month.

Although paying by DD isn't really as scary as some would make out.

In the event you wish to stop the debits and the person/company keeps debiting you, your bank can actually load a block on your account against a particular DD initiator so that even if they keep trying to debit you they wont be able. And if they did manage to debit you before you get the block in place, you can have your bank dishonour the debit the day after it comes out of your account.

Can, at least with more reputable companies, put limits on amount and expiry on a DD.

In a few respects, giving credit card details is a significantly riskier prospect.

Best of course is using bank account direct credits, that's something you control and no one else, and you're not disclosing financial details to others that can potentially be used fraudulently.

I rent a pile mooring at Westhaven each year from January to April and I get invoiced each month and I pay the invoice via Internet banking early enough to get my monthly parking pass mailed out in time. No problems with direct debit or handing over my credit card details.

The new Ts & Cs and the requirement to give 30 days notice of termination is a pain though.

Archived