NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

We are very close to having a concrete proposal for the interested parties, and I think a pretty exciting one.

In the meantime I got this in my email. I can see a major event every two years, alternating the Solo TT with the proposed tassie triangle.

I was excited to read about your South Pacific Mini Circuit plans.

I'm secretary of the committee organising the Solo Tasman race - a singlehanded yacht race which has been held every four years since 1970 between New Plymouth (Port Taranaki) and Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia. The 2002 race was won by Phil Bower sailing the mini, Wild Child and Scott Cavanough, sailing a brand new Bakewell White mini, Skippy Challenge, has entered the 2010 Fitzroy Yachts Solo Tasman Challenge, due to start on 4th April next year.

The general sort of mini shoestring ethos which you're planning fits well with the solo Tasmans history, as the race website: www.solo-tasman.org.nz will show.

The solo Tasman is perfect for mini racing - I haven't managed to get it sorted yet, but one of my plans is to have the race accepted as qualifying miles for the mini Transat race from France. There's a container link from Port Taranaki so the boats could be shipped direct, rigged and raced.

Meanwhile we'd certainly welcome any mini skippers who want to do the race. We have 28 entries for next year and are limited by facilities at Port Taranaki but, if boats don't require in-water storage prior to the start we could take any amount.

All best,

Lindsay.

Can anyone be ready by the date of TT?

FnG has been playing with his computer drawings again.

As a hint, we are hoping to offer the round version as a group build within the budget mentioned.

post-3043-141887154459.jpg

post-3043-141887154463.jpg

post-3043-141887154466.jpg

post-3043-141887154469_thumb.jpg

post-3043-141887154474.jpg

post-3043-141887154476_thumb.jpg

What sort of speeds do these boats do upwind?

What an awesome concept, I really hope it takes off, I would certainly be building one if I wasnt building a fast boat (new 8.5 Tri)

Not sure id be able to sell the mini to the missus as a crusier/racer either (the Tri just qualifies for her :D ), but the offshore capabilities of the Mini are awesome, imagine having a fleet of them in the, RWI, RNI etc! :D

How far % wise behind the 50ft canters would they be in say an around NI race?

FNG if you hit Ctrl-PrtScn on your keyboard and then go into photoshop or similar and hit paste, you'll be able to take a snap shot of your screen without actually taking a snap shot of your screen.

Yes I could if I had the right program. At the moment all I can do is paste into a word doc, then there to big to post.

I have been given the rendering drawing add-on to my cad program, but I havn't had a chance to load and try it.

I have have a mate with the latest version of my program that can just save the images to jpg. So when were finally there with keel rudders canards, etc, I will get you all desent images to view. buy the way currently working on rig and appendages.

As an update, Gary has a reasonable stab at pricing the big bits, we have quotes from two sailmakers who want to do the sailis, I'm collecting prices for all the other stick on bits and $75k looks manageable.

I am new to this discussion and am very interested in building one of the "Little Monsters". I saw from your previous posts that you guys have meetings . When will a meeting take place?, as I want to meet the people and actually talk about what is happening as I cant make much sense from forum, sorry that I am jumping in like this. I posess skills to build mine from scratch and see no reason why they would be built hard chined? Can go for two or three layers of thinner core on the bilge to go round the curve.

When is next meeting guys and the detailed expected build cost for a boat? Ie. Design fee, Mould fees, Rig cost, sails, safety gear etc.

Sorry didn't mean Chine. That is a design feature, meant multiple chines on the bottom. It is understandable if they are to be built from ply but if they are glass foam boats doesnt make sense to me. :thumbup:

He has drawn it both ways as initially we weren't sure we's have ebnough starters for the moulded version. Looking good at the moment.

There is a Dix 650 for sale in South Africa, I have inquired into shipping costs and it would be around $45,000 to purchase and ship to NZ, plus local duty & GST which I think is +7% & then 12.5% on top which would make it around $54k all up.

Was considering it as an option but unfortunately not in a position to do anything at the moment.

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Boats-Jet-Skis-yachts-sailboats-Dudley-Dix-650-Mini-Transat-W0QQAdIdZ132992647

Some points of interest, or perhaps research for any one with time, while we wait for yachting nz and class mini to give the responce on the ISAF ISO stucture changes.

The class mini rule say that the french version prevales - well in the french version it states that the proto minis must be constructed to category "C" , then it states the series minis are to be to CE category "B". There is a huge amountof information out there on the CE standards of which some refer back to the ISO standards. But with the time I allowed myself to look at this I did find a category "C" statement saying Wind to force 6 ( 22-27knts ) and waves of 2mtrs. Not a lot really.

Personally I feel that the ISO standards as an upgrade to ABS are a good thing. Its the purpose cost of attaining certifacation is not appealing

From the latrest newslatter on the Solo Trans Tasman:

MINI TRANSATS

Scott Cavanough, from Manly in Queensland, will be racing his brand new 6.5m Bakewell – White designed Mini Transat, Skippy Challenge, in next years race and will show many larger yachts the way home to Mooloolaba. Scott’s normally bosun on the 41m rebuilt J Boat, Ranger in the Mediterranean, Caribbean and US eastern seaboard.

Meanwhile a group of New Zealand based sailors are launching a programme to build several “semi’production” Minis to hold a South Pacific Mini Circuit and are interested in a Port Taranaki to Mooloolaba Mini match race.

The design originated in the late 1970’s to make transatlantic yacht racing accessible to people who couldn’t afford big yachts. Originally starting in Penzance, the race now starts in France and up to 70 skippers race over 4000 miles to Salvador, Brazil.

All best,

Lindsay.

Lindsay Wright,

Secretary,

2010 Fitzroy Yachts Solo Tasman Challenge,

62 Bayly Road, New Plymouth 4310, New Zealand.

Mob +64 272 758 138.

Following this thread but haven't been back and checked but...

There's some male moulds for sale at 6K Kiwi. Would these be of assistance or not going this way in the builds?

RR

Im interested in Samins question about how they go upwind - yes they go like the clappers downwind but how do they compare upwind.

As Samin says how far behind the 50ft canters would they be in say the RNI? Similar to a very well sailed WAKA?

MarkM can you shed any light?

They are very fast for a 21fter but they are still a 21fter.

At times Waka would be quicker but at times a Mini would.

A 50ft canter will, or should, always be faster than a 21ft canter.

Myself, I'm thinking respectable to good Y11, except upwind which, well Y88 will be closer.

Can check what racing I have though, NZL403 (BBW's design) :

http://www.racetrack.org.nz/boat.php?boatid=756

and before her, Navman :

http://www.racetrack.org.nz/boat.php?boatid=2396 (fixed link)

Don't forget a few of the boats in the 99 and 02 RNI's are a bit different now.

No offence to the mini, but you just wouldn't compare her to a canting 50. Good comparison with Waka, best guess is she'd hold with Waka just sometimes and be behind sometimes.

Thanks guys - Thought as much.

Not bad for 21 foot......

knot sure it was a direct comparison with the 50 foot canter - more like how far behind would they be...which I would assume would be less in a predominatly downwind race (CC on the right day) and quite a lot more in a predominantly upwind race (AKL Noumea 09) eeek.

You got it BF.

Once they get room to stretch their legs they can get up and rockin very quick. On a big downhill slide they would surprise many with the speeds. In the light hard on also.

Archived