timberwolf

Wow. Can't wait to see to see that all finished up.

I presume you are building a new rig too. When will she all be ready to splash?

New rig not really part of the plan as such.

I thought about lengthening it and adding a bit in to the sails.

But it means new halyards, stays etc.

Its quite a lot of work.

So I thought if someone wanted the current mast then a new mast is not actually that much extra work than doing the above.

The Sl 33 Cat has an 18.5 metre mast, so Dan and Us at only 13.5 metres are just Pussies ! Charleston has the right idea at 14.5 metres and are a lot lighter than we are!

Plus the curved foils should mean we can handle more Power

The Sl 33 Cat has an 18.5 metre mast, so Dan and Us at only 13.5 metres are just Pussies ! Charleston has the right idea at 14.5 metres and are a lot lighter than we are!

Plus the curved foils should mean we can handle more Power

Tim what about the beams???? Can they handle the power? The loads will be really high.

Frantic Drift:

I think the loads will stay the same if not decrease (bigger rig may be heavier) unless you increase the righting moment somehow (more crew to windward, lighter rig or canting rig etc.) ?

All that will happen is that "maximum load" will be available earlier down the wind range so you will decrease sail area earlier to maintain stability.

Remember on a multi the only thing that can increase load is weight(note:position of that weight) and the beam of the boat, otherwise it is just a case of matching the power of the rig (reefing) to the available stability of the boat.

Tim what about the beams???? Can they handle the power? The loads will be really high.

I'm not 100% certain that the old beams are up to it, in theory they should be good to see 9 tonnes of load, and we shouldn't ever see much over half that,

the only unknown is what sort of a state they are in (i.e, are they as good as the day they were built).

The sockets and the bulkheads to the new amas are like a brick.

But if they aren't up to it, its gonna be spectacular!

9 tonnes is the (theoretical) ultimate breaking load, I assume.

In aerospace laminates designed for a decent fatigue life strain is kept below 0.3%. (from old literature but still)

What do you have at 9/2 tonnes?

/Martin

Maybe things have changed.

A High Modulus strain may be as low as .9%, but we are happy to go higher than that in Standard Modulus (to at least 1.6%) which is the Carbon used on our beams.

The fibers are not the limiting factor here as far as I understand. What starts to happen at 0.3%, according to my literature, is the resin matrix starting to de-attach from fibers crossing the load path. John Shuttleworth does also mention the 0.3% limit but does not explain what happens in the same depth and only mentions onset of micro-cracking of the laminate.

Last year I did a little reverse engineering of the bow and twist limits we use for printed circuit boards (built from glass-epoxy prepreg) and it turned out those limits correlate with the 0.3% strain limit of the aerospace industry. This is perhaps a coincidence but still...

Any up-dates on this crucial aspect of yacht design are more than welcome.

/Martin