The Solo Challenge

Removal of Cabin Top!

1796678_441866882611701_1482535713_n.jpg

There was lift off and then a sudden stop as there were some pesky wires from the engine compartment hidden behind the insulation foam that we had not removed...oooopps!

1924832_441866915945031_356722501_n.jpg

Pesky wires....

1976993_441867095945013_191849543_n.jpg

Let's try this again!

1962881_441867102611679_162164082_n.jpg

B&G flag in the way so he had to remove it...

1175342_441867179278338_1177244733_n.jpg

10001585_441867182611671_1762386983_n.jpg

1794515_441867275944995_1809887089_n.jpg

66977_441867382611651_726227253_n.jpg

1977413_441867412611648_703503860_n.jpg

1655864_441867422611647_555894197_n.jpg

1391570_441867502611639_1659639886_n.jpg

Until next time! :crazy:

If the $150 bill for the car repair was a bit of a set back, prepare yourself for a bit of a long haul here Ash.........

Great photos, and fantastic project, I'm just glad it isn't me doing it.

Does the 3-2-1 rule of house renovation apply to a yacht refit?

Take you 3 times as long as you thought

Cost you 2 times as much as you thought

you will only do it once?

You certainly have taken on a major project and the hard work now begins. Good Luck

:wtf: :shock: OMG!

Why didn't you just build a new boat?

Have to admit Ashley I've been thinking the same thing - it's almost less effort to build new. I'm assuming you are also going to be refurbishing the REALLY important bits - i.e keel, rudder and bits that hold the mast up too? At the end you will have a brand new... early 70's keeler.

Wow! Big respect Ash. That is a huge undertaking!!

While you have it stripped back this far, do yourself a favour and run electrical ducting the length of the boat, and up out of the bilges. A pet hate with Kiwi boats is that very few do this and running electrics is so much harder than it should be.. I wish the Marshall had ducting!! Every electrical installation is a major... Helps to be double jointed too..

Anyway that will be the least of you problems.. Good luck mate!!

While you have it stripped back this far, do yourself a favour and run electrical ducting the length of the boat, and up out of the bilges.
Good call. I did exactly that, mind you it was brought on by having to get wiring thru water tanks. My conduit is kevlar reinforced carbon fibre tube. Why? Just cause that's what I found when I went rummaging at Evolution Composites, which just so happens is located about 50mts odd from your boat Ash. It's 25mm so has plenty of room.

I'm glad I don't have stringers in my boat :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So funny to read everyones reactions just becuse the cabin top is now on the floor! :P

Ha ok...soooo before the cabin top was just sitting on top of some wedges on the hull, not much different to it being on the ground. The difference now, is that it easier to work both in the boat and on the cabin top with it off the boat.

We had already sorted the removal of the deck with just slightly lifting it, but I want to fill in all the holes in the cabin top and sand it back like new. Also want to fiber glass a few areas to strengthen it back up. Better to be safe than sorry....and easier done on the ground than sitting on some wedges on top of the hull.

If the $150 bill for the car repair was a bit of a set back, prepare yourself for a bit of a long haul here Ash.........

Great photos, and fantastic project, I'm just glad it isn't me doing it.

Thanks for the comments... as per the one fifty.... I see it as sh*t there goes a new clutch...not just as 150. I know it's going to be costly, hence why I am doing all the manual labour and learning along the way. Have to be very thankful of Chris (my partner) for really throwing himself at it (as he is just as clueless as I am, just has bigger muscles! :lol: ) and Gary Patten for really being an angel and being our guide and showing us both how to do everything. Ha today Gary even said "Well sh*t, you have knocked everything else out, you might as well knock the galley out too!" I turned and asked...."how much will that add on?"...he reckons about 6 hundy... I said "Well...we shall leave it for now." He thinks I'll knock it out with in a couple of weeks. Anyone care to take a wager? :lol:

It all comes down to: will my new visa come through? How long before it does? and how quickly can I get a new job?! So for all of you out there, I am looking for a job!! Hopefully boating related...there might be a sailmaking one on the works...fingers crossed! :D

Does the 3-2-1 rule of house renovation apply to a yacht refit?

Take you 3 times as long as you thought

Cost you 2 times as much as you thought

you will only do it once?

You certainly have taken on a major project and the hard work now begins. Good Luck

Well I sure hope it doesn't take longer than expected, as I want to be out racing by next summer series. As per cost....well yeah its going to be more than planned as there is more project now...once you start you can't stop! Grrrrr there needs to be an invention of some sort that stops you from doing too much!

As per will I do it again???

Ha most likely not! But hey if they were to make a show out of it like THE BLOCK, and it was a guaranteed win of a crap load of money in the end, then I might consider it! :crazy: :thumbup: :think:

But really, I am doing all this hard work now in one go, so that in the future I do not have to do such a job again. If I take care of my boat and properly maintain her over the years, then she will do well for many years to come! :-)

Ps. Thanks for the advice Smithy! Have already been thinking about all that. Have had Matt (Island Time) down to the boat a couple of times now. Hopefully he can be my electrics Guru! :thumbup:

Really important rule with Electronics. Keep it simple and don't put all your eggs in one basket. While Matt is clever with the stuff :thumbup: maybe I have a slightly differing attitude with electronics. Matt loves gadgets and the power and ability they give you. My point of view is ruggedness of the system and simplicity. If one thing fails, it doesn't mean you lose all available info but just one part of that info and that one part can usually be easily substituted.

One really interesting item out now and one that I would be seriously looking at getting if I was buying new today, is the new Ultrasonic Wind direction/speed unit. No moving parts. So if you just happened to get rolled and come up with the mast still standing, the wind gear will still be operable.

The other thing I like to see is rugged simple means of connection between units. A simple Plug and Play scenario is important to me. It is the only downside when looking at differing brands. Matt is very clever at making things talk to one another, but IMV you need to be able to simply plug something in and have it work.

The solid state wind gear is the way of the future. Also starting to see transducers that speak NMEA directly, so you can connect them to anything - really flexible, and brand independent. In my systems, all the devices can work independently, but you get better info from them connected, as well as enhanced functions.

I believe Ash has got the instruments sorted for free or low cost anyway.

Conduits are strongly recommended for Ash at this stage, once the final positions of the electrical gear is decided ..

Fully agree with On Tilt. Good onya Ash. Big job, but you're tearing into it and have some good guidance on the side. The thing is YOU ARE DOING IT. Loads of us just sit around and talk about it! Big ups to you.