Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by CarpeDiem

  1. Oh wow. I did not know that. Lifetime of the vessel? That could make it extremely cost effective...
  2. No. YNZ is an optional NZ internal register only non-optional for yacht racing. Part B registration is ~$370 for 5 years. So it will cost you that plus MNZ inspection fees. Part A is for commercial craft.
  3. Haha. Thanks for the Cat 1 Cert Jon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚ I hope this mess works out for you! Yesterday was a yucky sea state. Wind has been fairly constantly 10-20knots... A few dead spots have required the motor, but given the overcast days that has been useful to top up the Lithiums. We've been hanging out between two fronts for the last few days it's remarkably pleasant compared to my last trip in 50+ knots ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜ญ we can't get far enough into the northern front as it collapses in front of us and we keep sailing out of the southern one... first world problems ๐Ÿ˜ญ Starlink is unbelievably goo
  4. The most logical thing for MNZ to do would be make it self certifying. Master of the ship signs off and completes a stat dec that they meet the safety requirements. Just like Cat 4 and Cat 5 are self certifying. Then randomly inspect. An inspector could just show up with the immigration officer... Job done. This is after all what every other flag does... Then YNZ can learn from that and do the same for Cat2 and Cat3 and put the oneous on OAs to actually carry out the spot checks they threaten in their NoR's but never do...
  5. Yeah, Sea Survival, Medic and all the safety requirements come from World Sailing. I can't see MNZ being licensed/permitted to use World Sailing rules so it will be interesting to see what safety requirements MNZ come up with... I am going to be impressed to see what they have in place by July 1st.
  6. The legislation states one can't be a NZ Citizen and own a boat that is foreign registered. (ignoring dual citizenship which is a separate minefield). Ownership has to be held through a foreign holding company or other such entity, and then the NZ Citizen cannot be the owner of the entity, so now you need a foreign agent such as a lawyer or a trustee to own/manage your entity/vessel and act on your behalf under your instructions. All fairly simple to set up, and many companies make moolah doing this, but when something goes wrong with the foreign entity structure or the individual
  7. Which is really how it should be... Why should ISAF yacht racing safety rules ever have applied to pleasure vessels leaving NZ?
  8. They already have the legislation. So the question becomes, will they try and enforce it...?
  9. I have heard this - but only as a rumor... And I heard the "delegation license" expired July 1st. Is this actually confirmed?
  10. The battery in this photo is from the 65-ft sloop Blue Peter. As the engine was turned on to leave, there was a loud bang and the battery exploded. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
  11. I doubt any lfp could support that even a handful of times. The li-ions would be getting depleted very fast! SoC numbers literally become a random number generator after a few half cycles. Not even laboratory grade couloumb counters can get accurate SoC over many cycles without fully charging. I have to laugh when manufacturers claim they can maintain a SoC between 40%-80%... I encountered a so called system just recently which was under performing. We disconnected all the loads and fully charged the cells, surprise surprise, each cell some how magically absorbed
  12. Yes! But that will still will crank your diesel... Unlike a 11v LA. All these things your encountering are the reason I shelved my LTO start battery project ๐Ÿคฃ
  13. Firstly the smashing is during the CC phase (typically called bulk). I charge at 0.9C the recommended is 0.5C the manufacturer max is 1C. Termination current occurs in the CV phase (typically called absorb). Termination current is a function of the manufacturers max voltage and term current. So if the manufacturer states 3.65v @ 0.05C (which mine does) Then we have: I_term=(V_absorb-3.37)/0.28 * 0.05 0.28 comes from 3.65 - 3.37 (3.37v is the voltage at which no charging is occurring). I have found that v_absorb of 3.5v/cell is perfect to provide a good tim
  14. You will still need dc/dc... But 5S at 80% SoC is ~13.2v which is a bit less obnoxious than 14.8v Of course you lose Wh's Is this a trick question...? Cause tail current termination depends on voltage ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
  15. Yep you can use the full capacity. Yes it will reduce the lifetime. I smash ours, I charge it at double the recommended rate, but below the maximum, I take it to within an hour of being completely flat and shutting down. I charge it to whatever and then start discharging it again... and sometimes I leave it fully charged for a whole week... Following my current usage profile, of racing weekly and getting away for a couple of weekends a month, I will get, conservatively, 15 years out of the battery. I would like to get fewer years out of it - as that would mean I'd be out sail
  16. Assuming YINGLONG then 80% is approximately 2.6v You could consider a 5 cell pack.
  17. "can you" The short answer is yes. Salt water is a great conductor, swimming with a 96v battery is a stupid idea. If you rewrote your question, perhaps to: Is it likely you'll get electrocuted when a correctly designed electric boat sinks? Then the short answer becomes no.
  18. Or leave enough loads running overnight, like the fridge and freezer. It's not a weakness of lfp it's a weakness of the charging solution. Most solar chargers will start again each morning, If your lfp has no loads this will eventually lead to over charging. If you have no permanent house loads then disable charging. On CD we disable all charging including the alternator and shorepower. We can do about 6 winter races before the charging gets enabled again. We have a composting toilet that's continually running a fan but the draw is incidental and is far from enough to a
  19. I think the cabin top is the least exciting part of this project. Anyone know what Li chemistry they are using?
  20. I guess it's really isn't practiced properly till it's needed. Like how often are you in a position to practice heaving to in 40+ knots with 7m swells unless you are actually doing it for real? A few years ago I got caught out on a Farr 1020 heading to Fiji. 50knot winds and enormous seas. After 24hrs of completely exhausting ourselves we decided to give it a go in the middle of the night. We knew the theory but had no idea if it would work. For the next 8 hours we saw 60-70knot gusts and everyone slept like babies. I think technically we were forereaching but we were slow en
  21. I wouldn't bother with a balance board. You're not going to reach a charge point where balancing is required. I feel quite strongly that the LFP will reach I=term long before the LTO reaches I=0A. So you'll end up dropping the charge voltage to prevent overcharging the LFP, that will happen long before the LTO reaches equilibrium. So I believe you will need a DC/DC to top up the LTO. Without a DC/DC I suspect that 60% SOC is more likely - BUT that would still be way more than adequate for starting purposes and you would also be able to run the windlass for quite a few ups/downs.
  22. You must have missed the bit where the EPIRB track lined up with the drift modeling - proving that the Easterly turn wasn't Aliens but was actually the expected/modelled tidal drift. I think you have a better chance of convincing people that it was Aliens which moved the EPIRB, the Flybridge and all the debris from 1mile north east of the EPIRB activation point into the Northern tidal stream at the 10m contour. Cause you'll never convince anyone who knows anything about the tide, that a 1Nm wide eddy was moving at 6knots in a WSW direction.
  23. I have begun to draw the conclusion that you have not actually read the report. You'll be pleased to know it wasn't Aliens. So, RCC were using a model at the time of the incident that said this is exactly what would happen - low and behold it is exactly what happened. The report further clarifies how the commission determined the location of the capsize: I am no expert, but from my simple calculations - for the flybridge to have drifted from the location the skipper claims the capsize occurred to the point where the EPIRB was activated and attached to the Fly Bridge,
  • Create New...