lifejackets, communications etc

Guest 000

Problem solved!

As my wife reminded me, we have two antiquated lifejackets somewhere up in the forepeak as buffers between the spare anchor and the hull.

These can go into the dinghy. I don't think they'll be much good, but the law is satisfied.

if mnz/council are so concerned with saving lives by under 6m wearing of life jackets they need to take it a step further.Boat wof springs to mind as we have all seen certain people of the community  in beaten up runabouts that you would not go to sea in a bath tub,overloaded no idea of the rules at sea.   Education is the key but some will not adhere to advice given so we the law abiding citizen must comply as not to be seen as signalling that part of the community out.

would the powers to be accept a smoke signal as a communication device?

Problem solved!

As my wife reminded me, we have two antiquated lifejackets somewhere up in the forepeak as buffers between the spare anchor and the hull.

These can go into the dinghy. I don't think they'll be much good, but the law is satisfied.

Great idea.

would the powers to be accept a smoke signal as a communication device?

Two plastic cups and a piece of string.

the wording does not say what with, who to, or how far.

Reminds me of a certain Person (who I shall not name) who had a plastic Anchor Chain(hint hint) because at one time years ago, the racing rules were not clear enough in the wording of what an Anchor Chain was exactly.

I can understand skiffs,dragon boats etc do not need to wear/carry lifejackets due to the fact they have a safety boat on the course but where do you draw the line?tamiki river off bucks blowing 20knt out going tide and no safety vessel 8 in a dragon type boat

Same never seen one even on the solo guys, Likewise i dont have one on most of the time when i shot down from the basin to kissing point to check on a friends boat. Nor do i have one on when going from basin piles to marina office dock

Interesting thread ..... the BOP Regional Council is currently revising its Navigation Regs (that's were the rules lie). We have opposed this as.

We (and you) have:

Martime NZ rules

YNZ Safety regs

Then regional Council rules

As we are mobile with our yachts, we get to sail under 3 Regions, YNZ and MNZ rules .. these vary every where we go.

Whats allowed in one region, isn't in the next. 

Here is a link to the 2014 drowning statistics.

http://www.drownbase.org.nz/assets/Annual-Drowning-Reports/2014-Drowning-Report-web-copy.pdf

Not sure why 2015 is not available.

Most deaths are in inland still water, tidal and rivers. Powerboats out drown yachts, but I assume that is driven by fizz boats (sorry I am an ex-yachtie and now launch owner).

I think we should raise this with the Auckland ratepayers association or the NZ Taxpayers Union.  Both are entities that like fighting against stupidity.

As you would expect this report doesn't tell the whole story that would define that wholesale enforcement of life jacket wearing with accompanying penalties would have made any difference. My guess from these stats is mot much ! And it doesn't differentiate death by hypothermia that causes the drowning either.The more you look at it this compulsory lifejacket thing is a crock for bureaucrats fundraising. The only bit that affects most on this forum is in tenders commuting to other boats / shore. YNZ could help here too but I doubt it.Why would they go out for Joe Blow Average .?

Here is MNZ's actual press release

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/public/news/media-releases-2016/20161020a.asp

And so basically MNZ has provided addtionally funding to the Harbourmasters to force them to enforce the law "for about five days" over summer.  We can just only hope that the harbourmasters use it to target the "most at risk" rather than "the most able to pay a fine".

My opinion of the harbourmaster in auckland is currently very high. I actually doubt he will choose to ping dinghies going ashore from anchored boats.

Ive not heard good things about some other regions though.