On the bright side - Next project

16 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

In other news ... DP came with a multi-display but speed only. I fitted a depth transducer the other day and it reads perfectly...........................The distance between the hull and the top of the keel bulb - doh. Evidently I'm not the first

funny I have the same problem at present...replaced existing speed sensor with DST800 and low behold I seem to be in 2.4 metres all the time!

There was a known issue with the DST’s doing this - losing the bottom and picking up the bulb. I know B&G put out a software fix for transducers newer than a certain serial number. My own one was older, but has the issue, which they told me it shouldn’t as they thought the issue only effected newer ones, they said they were looking into it. 

Annoying. 

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

In other news ... DP came with a multi-display but speed only. I fitted a depth transducer the other day and it reads perfectly...........................The distance between the hull and the top of the keel bulb - doh. Evidently I'm not the first

Can you switch the depth and speed transducers positions?

11 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Can you switch the depth and speed transducers positions?

No - I put the depth in front and to the side of the paddlewheel. It's in front of the tip of the bulb by about 200mm but evidently too close. It comes with plenty of cable so I'm picking up another through-hull and going to mount it well aft. I'll just use one of my dummy plugs on the errant one until I decide whether its worth removing. Its pretty well glued in to a cored section of hull so it will be a pain to fix properly.

5 minutes ago, RushMan said:

Is it possible to program the control box to ignore that section of the reading?

Sadly no, I went through all the calibration settings on the display and no ability to change the power/direction/sensitivity. It's an older system.

Often with a composite hull those through hulls can just be sikaflexed on the inside of the hull. Worked fine on Mercenary.

Try it before you cut a hole...

All done. Mounted it aft, probably should have tried through the hull, there is a section around the case that doesn't have foam in it but done now. The old one was ahead of the bulb but in the cone.

On the bright side,  race 2 at the weekend with designer Rob Shaw onboard and we got another win although fickle conditions meant each leg was a restart.

And another session up the cherry picker adjusting stays had the mast and mainsail fitting together beautifully.

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2547.jpeg

104429528_3652784368082894_4270424637164426644_n.jpg

Happy to report the depth gauge works in its new position. Accurate too, reading 2.3m when we ran aground :-)

New fractional genny from Willis Sails worked magic at the weekend. 15.06 knots...

Mast and mainsail fitting together like peas and carrots.

All set for the Triple

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 5.21.48 PM.png

• Upvote 2

Next project for me is a boomtent. Sounds simple but getting 2x3.4 m lengths of sunbrella to move smoothly through the domestic sewing machine as you attempt your first ever felled flat seam on the Long Edge is actually kinda hard...

I have seen alloy fittings that take a bolt rope riveted onto either side of the boom, the tent, with a bolt rope sewn in can be rolled up against the boom when not in use, or removed altogether for passage making. much more controllable than being draped over the boom and keeps it clear of lazy jacks if you are using them

On 30/06/2020 at 2:35 AM, Steve Pope said:

I have seen alloy fittings that take a bolt rope riveted onto either side of the boom, the tent, with a bolt rope sewn in can be rolled up against the boom when not in use, or removed altogether for passage making. much more controllable than being draped over the boom and keeps it clear of lazy jacks if you are using them

On 30/06/2020 at 5:01 AM, Black Panther said:

When I built the stackpack I added a zip either side so a tent could be zipped on. Thanks to VB for that one. 

Both great ideas. Had been considering something like this, but decided to start simple. Last night i managed to cut and fold two hems and attach one webbing loop in a corner. All held together with sailmaking tape. Spare time is not something I'm particularly blessed with at this point. Will see how it works out and when I've a little more time I really like the idea of something that actually attaches each side of the boom.

There is a very ubiquitous alloy extrusion used on caravans and anything that needs a bolt rope attachment, generally pop riveted. ( Ullrich NZ ) extrusion light Awning rail UA1430. Double sided awning rail UA1406. Numbers may be the same in France / Switzerland or will have a European equivalent No.

17 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

There is a very ubiquitous alloy extrusion used on caravans and anything that needs a bolt rope attachment, generally pop riveted. ( Ullrich NZ ) extrusion light Awning rail UA1430. Double sided awning rail UA1406. Numbers may be the same in France / Switzerland or will have a European equivalent No.

Thanks Steve, I think I'll look that up. 3M 5200 would also do a bang up job of holding that on the boom, I expect.