New Auckland Bylaws - have your say

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have replied with this :   I want the speed limit decreased on several grounds which are set out in numbered paragraphs below. I am a frequent user of the Waitemata harbour and make these

12 knots is probably the worst possible speed they could choose for generating wake... most big launches are trying to get over the hump and plane at this speed so generate the biggest waves. 18knots

Ahh, sign in. That's where I normally walk away.

Posted Images

12 knots is probably the worst possible speed they could choose for generating wake... most big launches are trying to get over the hump and plane at this speed so generate the biggest waves. 18knots at least lets them plane and the wakes actually reduce.

Personally I think the inner harbour (North head in) is crap for racing, big tide, heavy traffic, shitty wind from the buildings etc. I'm actually in favour of P.O.A extending wharfs and hopefully that forces the yacht clubs to start and finish racing at Orakei. The improved quality of racing would more than make up for the 30 min motor (positive side effect is it gives fridge time to cool the drinks!)

On 26/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, Fogg said:

The pilot boats break the speed limited every hour of the day.

That's because it's part of the exempt fleet who are allowed too at specific times or situations. Also it's berth is only just around the corner from it's berth is the high speed lane which opens to no restriction waters so it's 'Sub 12kt' zone is only a few 100m at best, most of which is inside the Ports restricted area.

2 hours ago, KM... said:

That's because it's part of the exempt fleet who are allowed too at specific times or situations. Also it's berth is only just around the corner from it's berth is the high speed lane which opens to no restriction waters so it's 'Sub 12kt' zone is only a few 100m at best, most of which is inside the Ports restricted area.

No I meant they break their own rules about speed limits and zones. Don’t ask me how I know this.

5 hours ago, Cameron said:

Personally I think the inner harbour (North head in) is crap for racing, big tide, heavy traffic, shitty wind from the buildings etc. I'm actually in favour of P.O.A extending wharfs and hopefully the forces the yacht clubs to start and finish racing at Orakei. The improved quality of racing would more than make up for the 30 min motor (positive side effect is it gives fridge time to cool the drinks!)

Wow. I think Ive stated that word for word a number of times!

Finish the race, by the time you are in, boats packed up, sail cover on, beers opened...

2 hours ago, Rangi1 said:

How do you know this?

I know this because POA installed a new AIS system earlier this year (with Vesper) that monitors the position & speed of each individual pilot boat in their fleet and sends them individual warning alerts to their Vesper transceivers if they approach or enter a speed restricted area at excessive speed. But the system didn’t work properly and the personalised AIS messages saying “slow the f*ck down boat #3” that were meant to be sent to the specific pilot boat’s MMSI were sent to me instead. So as a ship either entered or left Auckland I would start getting multiple alarms (loud and annoying) to my MFD as the pilots broke their own POA speed limits whilst they were too busy eating donuts and running over marine life. Vesper had to come to my boat to set up a workaround on my MFD to stop the alerts. But I had to put up with this sh*t everyday I was on the boat for about a month until they did that. So based on that I reckon the pilots are still flouting their own rules.