5 weeks at sea +14 days Auckland Quarantine

To assist in communicating the Kiwi world view, here is a famous song that embodies many aspects of Kiwi-ness. Its really about being 'glass half fill'. Some of the lines in it are very relevant today. To save you being confused by the opening narrative, Maui was a fisherman who used his grandmothers jaw bone to fish up the North Island. The South Island was his waka.

[Verse 2]
I was speaking to a mate of mine, just the other day
A guy called Bruce Bayliss
Who lives up our way
He's been round the world on an 8th army do, for a year, more or less
I said "Describe the global position, Bruce"
He said "Fred, it's a mess

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nzl1 has been deleted as a member.

A promising start.   The border is not 100% secure to Covid in the same way that our border is not 100% secure to anything.  This is why the testing takes place at entry and in MIQ. T

NYS, the vast majority of foreign cruisers would rate your getting entry into NZ in the current world situation up there with winning lotto. On top of that you say the cost of your quarantine is being

Posted Images

When we left Panama for French Polynesia in July we were relatively certain we be able to enter NZ. In July there were 0 active cases in French Polynesia. They were requiring a 28 day sea quarantine and we had no idea they were opening the air border with minimal testing requirements. So far from “winning the lottery” we been subject to ever evolving amounts of bullshit and now just in time for Christmas we’re being treated to an extra week of involuntary confinement. 

The greater good? You must be joking! I’m actually quite shocked how many on here are willing to enable this government overreach. Certainly does make me wish we were happy and free in Fiji and lending other cruisers a hand getting ready for this storm instead of dealing with this mindless bureaucracy!

4 minutes ago, NorthlandYS said:

Certainly does make me wish we were happy and free in Fiji and lending other cruisers a hand getting ready for this storm instead of dealing with this mindless bureaucracy!

I assume that option remains open to you.

The 1st Rule of Holes applies here NYS - I gently suggest you apply it.

35 minutes ago, NorthlandYS said:

When we left Panama for French Polynesia in July we were relatively certain we be able to enter NZ. In July there were 0 active cases in French Polynesia. They were requiring a 28 day sea quarantine and we had no idea they were opening the air border with minimal testing requirements. So far from “winning the lottery” we been subject to ever evolving amounts of bullshit and now just in time for Christmas we’re being treated to an extra week of involuntary confinement. 

The greater good? You must be joking! I’m actually quite shocked how many on here are willing to enable this government overreach. Certainly does make me wish we were happy and free in Fiji and lending other cruisers a hand getting ready for this storm instead of dealing with this mindless bureaucracy!

Well, to be blunt, if you aren't happy about it, piss off back to where you came from. When you come to a country, you need to respect our rules and values. This isn't Merica, our government actually works, buy and large. We've been as tactful and diplomatic as possible here, but seriously, if you are going to complain about being put up in comfortable accommodation, you need to get a grip.

How long are you planning on staying in NZ for? and how did you get let in, if you aren't a citizen or resident?

Further, you weren't at sea for five weeks. You stopped twice, the last stop being 7 days out from NZ.

So, you need to change the topic of this thread, as it is wrong and misleading, and, it shows you lack a basic comprehension of the rules. The ones you are claiming you are being wronged under.

And to be honest, its attitudes like this from entitled cruisers that explain why the Germans ended up getting their boat impounded and being deported.

Seriously NYS, when yo are in a hole, you should stop digging. A wise man would politely ask for a ladder, rather than digging in deeper.

We have visas, we have the yacht exemption, we followed the rules. The rules were changed on us after arrival. You guys honestly don’t have any issue with that?  Our situation has nothing to too with “entitled yachties” or “those Germans”

Minerva was empty, the stop in Pago Pago (in a Covid free country) was under quarantine. So yea, 5 weeks in isolation.

One of my favourite Youtube sailing channels is a crew dealing with the same adversity facing most Covid-cruisers plus a whole lot more. And in response they've developed a new crew motto of: "It's not ideal but we'll make it work!"

It's a mantra that I've used myself over the last few months to help make peace with the multitude of frustrations around us all right now - and to try to preserve my own sanity in the process!