Yacht semi submerged off Waikalabubu

Having done some percussion hydrography in the past, my missus always pesters me when we are going into a new bay / point, "are there any rocks here". 

I'm getting a bit sick of it, so am turning that around to get her to check the chart, get familiar with our geographical position on the plotter and check herself. Two eyes are better than one, and I wont get the nagging...

Given the selection of quality boats currently going for $1 reserve on trade me, what is the consensus this one is worth? I'm not seeing much worth salvaging on it. Small engine, low hours, but a solid submersion in salt water. If I we doing an engine upgrade, the cost of install outweighs the benefit of shagging around with a 10 year old engine thats been in salt water.

What is left, a rig? sails aren't new. Cost to break up and dump hull outweighs possible value of anything else.

2 hours ago, Fish said:

Given the selection of quality boats currently going for $1 reserve on trade me, what is the consensus this one is worth? I'm not seeing much worth salvaging on it. Small engine, low hours, but a solid submersion in salt water. If I we doing an engine upgrade, the cost of install outweighs the benefit of shagging around with a 10 year old engine thats been in salt water.

What is left, a rig? sails aren't new. Cost to break up and dump hull outweighs possible value of anything else.

a reasonable Lotus 10.6 will go for around $90-100k. Would be very easy to spend more than that to put Rite Off back together, especially if you have to find a new keel. Also a lot of work to rebuild the keel structure.

2 hours ago, wheels said:

Now that I have viewed it on a decent screen, I take that comment back. Just wet timber is all. Must have been a solid impact.

does look like some glue failure in places...

27 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

a reasonable Lotus 10.6 will go for around $90-100k. Would be very easy to spend more than that to put Rite Off back together, especially if you have to find a new keel. Also a lot of work to rebuild the keel structure.

It didn't even occur to me that someone would restore / rebuild it. What is it, a 35 / 40 yr old wooden boat that has had extensive structural damage, and a good soaking in salt water. The reality is its a dated design now, well used. And there is no shortage of alternatives to buy that haven't had the keel ripped off.

Not to mention you'd need to go find and recover the keel. Based on a recent thread around the cost of pouring a new keel.

My guess is it is trash, but it will be interesting to see what transpires. Maybe that dodgy TM guy will buy it, superglue the hull back together and try and flick it off again as a center boarder...

Interesting question on the grounding and eventual capsize.

The first few photos show the boat sinking but clearly upright, then a photo of the boat upside down.

Do you think the keel was still attached in the first few photos then as it sank (or hit the bottom) the keel came off. Not a lot of stabilty in a hull thats full of water without a keel and a heavy alloy rig and furled genoa up in the air.

57 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

a reasonable Lotus 10.6 will go for around $90-100k.

Not from what has been on trademe lately. Some have been at a real low price. One on there right now for 65K

8 minutes ago, KM... said:

There are a LOT of restos going on at the moment.

A new 30fter is 300K plus, saw one this morning that is a hair short of 400K.

Spend 60K on the wreak and you could have a perfectly fine boat that will have some advantages the new 30 doesn't have. Sure a bit of a project but being the vintage and construction she is it's not a hard one.

If you applied that same thinking to yourself, a bit old n dated, should your wife be trading you in for a younger flasher model ;)

I think the question you need to be asking yourself KM, is if the wife traded you in for a younger model, would you spend considerable time and effort trying to attract her back to the old and worn-out you, or would you cut your losses, go off and get yourself a younger and fresher model?

Same sage advice from you saying it is a 'bit of a project'. As you well know, there is a substantial risk those projects never get re-launched.

Banter aside, I wouldn't have thought the work and time would not justify the end result and value. Trademe is not short of project boats of that age and style that could do with a reno and be a good boat afterwards. And the all come with keels and intack floors. That and I would think $60 is optimistic. But hard to tell. There was that quality Ross boat in Chch with carbon rig, posh sails etc and only one hole in the side that really struggled to sell. I think Cool Change ended up acquiring it? Maybe Alcatraz's owner feels the need for another project?

7 minutes ago, KM... said:

I see awesome ROI's in regards to stories, the effort involved, the costs, the learning, the heritage protection and more.

You see ROI's in $$ term.

Horses for courses.

No, that's not quite right. I see ROI for sailing in the ratio of time fixing / repairing to sailing / chilling out in the environment. The primary thing for me is time, and money forms a proxy for time. I need money so I have the time to go sailing, but I need to spend my time working, to make the money, but because I'm working, I don't have the time to go sailing...

Heritage protection is a different angle altogether. And if this were a classic, yes definitely. But its not.

One element would be the quality kauri planking. You can't get that anymore. KM, are you looking for a new project? you sound sweet on it already?

That is very profound KM.

I'm sure if the scale of the project required, it would be possible to rustle up the required kauri. For the odd job on our kauri log we have used (I think) macrocarpa with a lot of everdure style epoxy penetrating resin, or lumps of teak. Either way, the jobs we have done have been heavily encased in epoxies, so they are far closer to the composite spectrum than classic wood, and the rot resistant attributes are dealt with by the epoxy and not the traits of the wood.

A bulldozer? I'm not sure how to say this KM, but unless you are getting into earth-moving contracting game, anything that requires a bulldozer is a far, far bigger project than the Reptile ever was, or will be....

Even IF you could find the money and commitment to restore this wreck and even IF the total cost came in close to fair market value for a similar boat - forget it. After this much publicity this boat will always be recognisable and carry the stigma - I’m guessing the true market value would be discounted by 30-50% as a result. The only likely motivation to take this on would be someone with an existing emotional investment in the boat eg family or former owner etc.