Yacht semi submerged off Waikalabubu

Exactly. It’s being sold by the insurer which means the owners have been paid out an agreed amount. The insurer is just trying to recover sone costs however little. In these situations passionate owners have been known to buy the wreck back off the insurer and use the money they were paid out to restore it again. I don’t see that making sense here.

1 hour ago, Fogg said:

Even IF you could find the money and commitment to restore this wreck and even IF the total cost came in close to fair market value for a similar boat - forget it. After this much publicity this boat will always be recognisable and carry the stigma - I’m guessing the true market value would be discounted by 30-50% as a result. The only likely motivation to take this on would be someone with an existing emotional investment in the boat eg family or former owner etc.

A lot of well known boats have been on the bottom. Nothing wrong with a good pickling! But I agree it's a big project. Someone may well learn that a boats hull is the easy & cheap bit.

15 hours ago, KM... said:

I'm building a lake to help the 1000 extra trees we're planting to help expand the local Nature Diversity Highway. Also the extra water will be used with restoring 2 beaten up once were and will be again shortly back to fully functioning wetlands. I'm not doing that just with a spade.

This is very good.  Where is this? Up at Barrie's Bach?

So, rather than a case of "Stay the f**k from Waikalabubu Bay", are these the three rocks below that we need to be an eagled eyed beaver about when sailing or anchoring in that area?  
One little nasty to the north west of Billy Goat Pt, and two little nasties to the south east?

This guy didn't hit some uncharted rock that remains uncharted?

IMG_1165.jpg

If you eye ball that area between your marked rocks, you will see the whole area is foul ground really. Just give it a wide berth. Waikalabubu Bay itself is fine, its the rocky area around the point. I don't think this rock was 'unchartered' as such. But in saying that, in areas of foul ground, like around rocking points, not every little lump and pointy bit is chartered. It is the difference between pilotage (looking at where you are) and relying on electronics for navigation. At 2 and 5 m contours, a chart plotter always makes things look cleaner than they are.

Always sobering to look at an area like this at a spring low tide.

PS, those rocks are already inside the 2 m contour. I'd say you'd be a brave man going inside the 2 m contour there while transiting the point. You don't have to move very far out to be in the 5 m contour. Far lower risk of percussion hydrography.

As an aside, you can get recording sounders now for not much, about $300. They record the depth and contours everywhere you go, so you build up your own high res charts. Targeted for fisho's looking for structures. I'm keen to get one for the interest side of it. Doesn't sit that far up the list of things requiring boat dollars though...

"quick draw" contours.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fish-finders/garmin-striker-plus-4-fishfinder-with-gps-track-plotter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ZLxw_Sj7wIVBbeWCh3hbANDEAYYASABEgKSN_D_BwE

33 minutes ago, Fish said:

If you eye ball that area between your marked rocks, you will see the whole area is foul ground really. Just give it a wide berth. Waikalabubu Bay itself is fine, its the rocky area around the point. I don't think this rock was 'unchartered' as such. But in saying that, in areas of foul ground, like around rocking points, not every little lump and pointy bit is chartered. It is the difference between pilotage (looking at where you are) and relying on electronics for navigation. At 2 and 5 m contours, a chart plotter always makes things look cleaner than they are.

Always sobering to look at an area like this at a spring low tide.

PS, those rocks are already inside the 2 m contour. I'd say you'd be a brave man going inside the 2 m contour there while transiting the point. You don't have to move very far out to be in the 5 m contour. Far lower risk of percussion hydrography.

As an aside, you can get recording sounders now for not much, about $300. They record the depth and contours everywhere you go, so you build up your own high res charts. Targeted for fisho's looking for structures. I'm keen to get one for the interest side of it. Doesn't sit that far up the list of things requiring boat dollars though...

"quick draw" contours.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fish-finders/garmin-striker-plus-4-fishfinder-with-gps-track-plotter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ZLxw_Sj7wIVBbeWCh3hbANDEAYYASABEgKSN_D_BwE

Another area which will catch you out at high tide snapper bay motuhihi island.approachibg from the west.

50 minutes ago, KM... said:

There is no resource to consent until I create it. Kaipara DC.

Maybe so, but if you are pushing dirt around with a dozzer, esp near water courses, you'd do well to have your arse covered with some paper work of some sort. Either that or don't mention it to anyone, like on the interweb and stuff. Even if it is a permitted activity, you can get a certificate of compliance so no one gets their tits in a tangle.

KDC are the all time world record holder for beauracratic fuckery, make NDC, and even Auckland Council look like rank amateurs.

9 hours ago, harrytom said:

Another area which will catch you out at high tide snapper bay motuhihi island.approachibg from the west.

SNAPPER BAY:  As per the chart below:

"CAUTION NOTE: Mariners advised that uncharted reefs may exist in this area "

I'd be given it a wide berth too if rounding that area - I'm not a fishermen so I indeed will stay well the fark away from Snapper Bay

Screenshot_20210310-180214.jpg

went in there for a club picnic,yep go from 5m to looking at rocks real quick.Good holding though.

chart shows it to be rockier than it is.Nice beach.Stayed the night and if your in to Kiwis,just up from the shoreline (100 m)you will see them at dusk.Interesting part of the island.

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

went in there for a club picnic,yep go from 5m to looking at rocks real quick.Good holding though.

chart shows it to be rockier than it is.Nice beach.Stayed the night and if your in to Kiwis,just up from the shoreline (100 m)you will see them at dusk.Interesting part of the island.

image.png.66b6783b4867d0ab7f5cfc1bbb60b826.png

Yip - navionics sonar has that whole area pretty shallow.

Good tip about the Kiwi. I have walked many miles on Motuihe at night. Often see the kiwi but never looked in the location you describe. 

On 9/03/2021 at 5:12 PM, Fogg said:

Exactly. It’s being sold by the insurer which means the owners have been paid out an agreed amount. The insurer is just trying to recover sone costs however little. In these situations passionate owners have been known to buy the wreck back off the insurer and use the money they were paid out to restore it again. I don’t see that making sense here.

$1.50 so far closes at 12.07 so $2.00 might do it??but hard stand would be the expensive bit $59.00 per day.how days??

It’s a futile effort trying to sell it.

Whatever value can be salvaged in undamaged parts (possibly only bits of the rig which might be v old anyway) will be lost when the buyer pays for the cost of transport and disposal of the rest of the boat. The numbers just don’t add up and the first buyer probably finally worked this out after ‘winning’ the worst prize in TM history.

• Like 1