Leg 5

Looks like AD is sheltering in Woody Bay!

A colleague spent some time with one of the AD crew over the weekend and said he sounded seriously nervous about departing Auck. I really feel for them. And I'm almost nervous for them as well. If they really fear for their safety in that boat maybe they ought to abandon the race. Or this leg at least.

if it was not structural they would not have returned The forward section will pant if this is not in and eventually the hull will suffer core shear and FAIL.

Really....have you seen the structure inside the boat? refer BooBoo's comment on page 3!!!!!!

A colleague spent some time with one of the AD crew over the weekend and said he sounded seriously nervous about departing Auck. I really feel for them. And I'm almost nervous for them as well. If they really fear for their safety in that boat maybe they ought to abandon the race. Or this leg at least.

So do we take it that AD is the boat from your "rumor" thread that had the structural 'soft spots all over' ? If so then they really should reconsider...

So do we take it that AD is the boat from your "rumor" thread that had the structural 'soft spots all over' ? If so then they really should reconsider...

Ac said last night that Abu Dahbi wasnt the boat that he heard rumoured, which is concerning.

That's correct AD was not the boat my marine insider said had soft spots. Although it sounded genuine we've heard nothing more publically so we have to regard it as a rumour with no substance, so I'd rather not say which boat it was.

I would say it's fairly structural. I wouldn't want to have a forestay that was only supported by the skin of the hull or deck.

It looks essentially to be a really stiff ring frame. It stops the tension from the inner forestay from changing the shape of the boat in that area. The sort of distortion you would get would depend on whether the the lower end of the inner forestay in these boats is attached at the floor or at the deck level..

Edit: Actually, I retract all that - the frame isn't tall enough to fill the space completely. Complex beasts boat structures, and the forces that act on them.

Presumably the expected forces between the frame and the hull are mostly compression, explaining why the attachment to the hull wasn't over built.

Here's one that I am surprised I got. I am at the Harbour bridge and it's ruff and I am trying to take the shot and hold on while standing on the roof of the Pilothouse leaning back against the boom to support myself and I had the lens on full telephoto.

Notice the really fantastic corkscrew shape in Puma's headsail.

254.JPG

Unless my tracker is showing something weird at has Oobie Doobie almost through Colville channel and sailing at 14 knots and somehow winning even though it has further to go than all the rest!

Sanya is hanging in there too.

I would say it's fairly structural. I wouldn't want to have a forestay that was only supported by the skin of the hull or deck.

It looks essentially to be a really stiff ring frame. It stops the tension from the inner forestay from changing the shape of the boat in that area. The sort of distortion you would get would depend on whether th lower end of the inner forestay in these boats is attached at the floor or at the deck level..

Edit: Actually, I retract all that - the frame isn't tall enough to fill the space completely. Complex beasts boat structures, and the forces that act on them.

Presumably the expected forces between the frame and the hull are mostly compression, explaining why the attachment to the hull wasn't over built.

Ok let me explain exactly what broke. The inner forestay is removable and adjustable, obviously it is only set up when they use the #4 jib (and maybe the storm jib unless it has another stay further in) and needs to be removed for normal sailing and tacking the J1 or J2. The deck will have a strop that goes thru it, this strop will have an attachment for the stay above deck and will go to an hydraulic ram (some boats use rams and some use purchase systems) this ram dead ends to the hull. Its this ram dead end that has failed. You will see from the picture that the bottom is the ram bush and the top is just a holder/keeper for the ram to keep it upright when the stay is not attached and its unloaded.

This piece although it might ADD to the overall structure it is not an integral part of the hull or deck structure unless the J4 stay is on and loaded and if its not there then it obviously can't ever be loaded... But then the J4 can't be used (could still be setup on the outer forestay but balance and sheeting angles and mast stabilty when deep reefed would be effected) not ideal for a trip around cape horn I would think....

Also there is a good chance that this piece is completely separate to the deck structure for the stay, there will be a separate ring frame and overhead/deck frame that will be set up vertical the same as the rest of the ring frames. The ram attachment/dead end will probably be forward of that following the inner forestay angle and there will be fore and aft longitudinal that spreads the load to the full ring frames.

I hope this makes sense.

Doing a repair up there would be a mission, the motion would be bad and its a wet dark hell hole. I would say they needed to heat the area up for the best result anyway.

Coming back was a good decision.

This is my take on it anyway.

From Abu Dhabi about why they have stayed inshore for a bit longer rather than taking on the elements.

A very tough start to another leg for us aboard Azzam - not only did we bust our j4 bulkhead but we also missed our weather window to leave Auckland on time. The fringe of the low-pressure system that the fleet would have battled against last night has now escaped us, leaving the centre and strongest part of the system directly upon us. Earlier we tried poking our nose out and saw forty-five knots of breeze – about an hour up the track wind readings are showing into the sixties - hurricane force. As of right now we are sitting just off North Head in Auckland harbour biding our time. Similar to the start of last leg, there is never a reason to set sail from relative safety into hurricane force winds.

Our plan is to hold tight for at least another couple hours until the peak of the low passes. In reality, we are already a day or so behind in the leg. Caning ourselves, and our boat in 60+ knots will do us no good. In fact, it may even help our cause to wait the extra hours and then sail a proper course. None of this has been easy, and believe it or not, we would rather have been getting thrashed last night with the rest of the fleet then tucked up in a hotel room watching the leg slip away from us online.

Furthermore – we must not forget the absolutely massive effort of our shore team this stopover and in particular last night. It is a tall order to have one of these machines fully serviced in a week. But to have a major structural repair done in essentially 12 hours is nearly a miracle. Not to mention all the efforts of the logistics team and management that took care of everything we needed and allowed us to get some sleep. Well done! Now it’s time to go hammer out some miles and attempt to dig back into the fleet – don’t count us out just yet. Azzam’s got some legs on her downwind…

Even though this report will be out of date by the time most of you read it, it is still well worth the read as they explain the hell that they have been through.

HARDEST OPENING NIGHT EVER

There is no fooling Stu Bannatyne, five-time race veteran and co-skipper of second placed CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand (Chris Nicholson/AUS), when he described the opening night of Leg 5 from Auckland to Itajaí in Brazil.

“Without a shadow of a doubt that was the hardest opening night of a Volvo leg I have ever done,” he said.

According to CAMPER’s media crew member (MCM) Hamish Hooper, Bannatyne “stumbled below for the first time after hours on deck, eyes bloodshot, his voice hoarse with exhaustion, looking like he had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.”

“After his two hours off watch sleep, he didn’t look much better, but was raring to get back on deck,” Hooper wrote in his latest report from the boat.

The fleet, led by Telefónica (Iker Martínez/ESP) is now 342 nautical miles (nm) north of the Chatham Islands.

Storm force winds have battered the fleet to such an extent that Ian Walker’s Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing were forced to shelter in the lee of the Hauraki Gulf before resuming racing this morning at 0725 UTC.

The Emirati team left the Auckland dock at 2300 UTC yesterday after successfully repairing their forward bulkhead, looking for a break in the weather to catch the fleet now over 600 nm down the track.

“Sadly, we have the exact opposite. We have the meteorological equivalent of a kick in the guts,” reported the skipper this morning as local weather stations reported 50 knot average winds and gusts in the low sixties.

“To set off when we are already a day behind the fleet and put ourselves out of the race would be foolish, yet to heave to and wait is the most frustrating thing on earth,” Walker said of a decision made to shelter from the worst of the weather.

As the storm passed over the fleet Franck Cammas’ Groupama 4 broke the swivel for their J4 headsail, causing many lost miles while the crew regained control of the flogging sail and dragged it below. The French team continue to press on, but according to MCM Yann Riou, “without passion or enthusiasm.”

Sea-sickness has again reared its ugly head as the already exhausted crews push on towards the Southern Ocean.

“I feel like I have been on an all-night drinking binge with George Best,” reported a dejected Hamish Hooper. “Crook as. The banging, crashing, wild conditions have brought a few of us down. Life now consists of short spurts of action before racing back to the bunk to get horizontal again before the sickness takes too much of a hold again. It’s not that much fun.”

At 1000 UTC, Telefónica led CAMPER by 12.8 nm. Groupama, PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG (Ken Read/USA) and Team Sanya (Mike Sanderson/NZL) were all within 12 nm with SANYA 39.5 nm off the lead.

To ensure the boats are kept clear of the risk of ice on Leg 5 race control are using satellite imaging to monitor fleet’s likely path and, when necessary, adjust the position of the waypoints which define the ice exclusion zone.

Overnight satellite images revealed possible ‘targets’ outside the exclusion zone and accordingly the exclusion zone was shifted a couple of degrees north. This changed the distance to finish calculation for the fleet but did not affect the standings.

Archived