184 replies to this topic

#181 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,095 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

All SMPs have a Transformer, because that is how they work. Transistors switch a DC pulse backwards and forwards in Polarity at a very high frequency, through the Tx. and that creates the voltage in the secondary winding.
But that part is not really the issue to worry about. It depends totally on whether the Primary side the Secondary side have a common Earth. Most usually, it will. Simply because it is easy to solve certain issues of RF noise and safety etc. So if the output is to be isolated, it is designed to be that way for a reason and a Marine charger would be one of those reasons.
The auto-transformer units can be both el cheapos or more expensive large workshop chargers that have current or voltage selection. As you can see, one winding makes it real easy and thus cheap to make a transformer.
Chances are, chargers will be as you have expected, BUT!!!! don't just assume. You really do need to check just in case.

#182 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

http://www.stuff.co....n-taken-off-me 

This is where the stupid regs can take you!!

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

#183 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

http://www.stuff.co....n-taken-off-me 

This is where the stupid regs can take you!!

I would suggest that it is abuse of the reg's. 

#184 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

Sadly we for people like this we live in a sad world.
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#185 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

It is not as if the basic requirement for an EWOF is something new in NZ. I know on the marine side it was not until after ~2000 that the marinas started enforcing this, but I remember as a kid when we went on family caravan holidays a long time before that (like when the One ton cup was first raced in NZ) that the caravan had to have an EWOF. When we arrived at a caravan park the manager would usually walk around the caravan to check for it being there/current
Maybe it was unfair for the guy to be kicked out after getting his EWOF, but he should never have been connected in the first place and spent years flying under the radar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users