Vor 2017

They're off on the first leg. Both Mapfre and Brunel ie Tuke and Burling copped penalties for giving insufficient room to Dongfeng at a turning point. Oops

Good to see the 360 penalty, Bekking got himself in a right pickle doing his one.

The start looked like absolute chaos when they played dodgems through the spectators...

What's the 2 poles used for?

One looks to be polling the headsail out to leeward, that's a little weird but OK. The other anyone?

attachicon.gif2017-08-04_141319.gif

I know the question's been answered a while back, but there's some good footage here showing the aft pole in use with the A3...

This via sailinganarchy which describes it as "the best piece of live offshore racing coverage ever produced."

What ever happened with Akzo Nobel with their crew?

I've been looking ever since the start of leg 1 and either I'm looking in the wrong places, or there is absolutely no news regarding the re appointment of Simon Tienpont.

It seems that his return has led to the demise of 4 others??? There has to be a story.

Jo Aleh is not so happy about the VOR:

""What I had to offer the boat, which was in my head, just wasn't listened to. I'm just a female Olympic sailor, what do I know? And I guess that's fair enough, offshore wise but I just wish a male Olympic sailor who has the same experience was treated in the same way.""

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/98671955/new-zealand-olympic-sailing-star-jo-aleh-hits-out-at-sexist-attitudes-in-volvo-ocean-race

Yesterday watched the in-port race from Cape Town - very well done with good TV production and good racing.

Very good coverage and great close one design racing. Reminds me of the old Citizen match racing days, albeit in boats twice the size.

Lots of really good illustrations of tacticsl and boat handling.

1News insists there was almost a catastrophic collision shortly after the start, "Mapfre came within mere metres of ruining their race" and that only "somehow" the boats managed to avoid each other... http://bit.ly/2C5OMSH

Admittedly I'm not a keelboat helmsman, but it looked like a pretty well executed cross to me. Not that that would be newsworthy.

Saw the winner of the last VOR, Ian Walker,  interviewed yesterday on the "daily live" - link below. 

He said an issue in races such as these is that there is psych pressure to hold on to too much sail area as the wind builds to get that extra edge -

My question is: does the fact that the VOR is now pretty much one-design increase that pressure? (since it will be easy to tell who is backing off and who it not.)

Walker also observed that jibes at night were among the greatest dangers - very hard to sense wind direction and velocity as the gusts come up from behind in the dark. Been there . .