Stranded boaties in 'dire' situation appeal for New Zealand's help

The question is"do let overseas cruisers in"   Cruisers probably wont have c19 onboard due to being at sea . Yes to letting in NZ registered or NZ citizen owned vessels in(where vessel brought overseas but nz citizens onboard) No to other cruisers wanting a safe haven.They have a country of origin so can return to their country of origin. 

As "fish" stated earlier may seem hard but can we afford to go down the same road as Australia etc We have all done our bit to beat/keep at bay c19 why jeopardise it.

I am against AC crews/film crews arriving as well. We have  good film studios set ups in NZ along with some rising actors. The AC on the other is an expenditure for Ak not a income.Do not believe what the cup would/can generate would cover costs.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bona-fide cruisers should be allowed to come in for cyclone season from the pacific and sea time is quarantine. These are their homes we're talking about, tell them to just throw them away? I don't th

Agree. Local small businesses rely on some cruising income.  If they can let in superyachts, what is the difference.

So, if you are in governance, what do you do? If you let people in from half a world away (Tahiti), who else do you have to let in? Half of India is clamouring to come back here. They already hav

Posted Images

BP I understand the concerns you have but it seems in this instance we are not looking at cruiser behaving like an arse  

I think the master of sailing vessel seems to be well entitled to preserve his ship and crew, and simply stated directly (perhaps a little less than diplomatically) his intentions.  For goodness sake  - it is an uninhabited reef miles from anywhere, and the naval ship masters attempted use of Covid-19 as a tool to take control of what is undeniably disputed territory was laughable.

The navy tried to bully the yachtie and got what they deserved. I'd suggest that the the fact there was no boarding simply meant Tongan Navy were engaging in posturing - a game of huff and puff, or at most - conducting a training exercise.  

Do you think the yacht skipper was wrong, or behaving poorly?

Honestly we don't have enough information to answer that. But every time someone on a sailboat boat is less than pleasant to a representative of a government the door squeezes a little more closed for those who follow

I am quite serious in saying the days of offshore cruising are numbered.  If you want to sample it leave asap.

On the slim evidence of that vodeo though he comes across badly.

To me the yacht skippers response was arrogant towards the Tongans, something I hate to see from cruising sailors (especially with our flag). The conditions on the video didn't look like they precluded putting to sea in any vessel that should be sailing towards New Zealand. I guarantee if it was the US Coastguard suggesting he moved on he would have been gone pronto.

3 hours ago, Romany said:

BP I understand the concerns you have but it seems in this instance we are not looking at cruiser behaving like an arse  

I think the master of sailing vessel seems to be well entitled to preserve his ship and crew, and simply stated directly (perhaps a little less than diplomatically) his intentions.  For goodness sake  - it is an uninhabited reef miles from anywhere, and the naval ship masters attempted use of Covid-19 as a tool to take control of what is undeniably disputed territory was laughable.

The navy tried to bully the yachtie and got what they deserved. I'd suggest that the the fact there was no boarding simply meant Tongan Navy were engaging in posturing - a game of huff and puff, or at most - conducting a training exercise.  

Do you think the yacht skipper was wrong, or behaving poorly?

Just watched it and saw what you did, a boat making a wise weather related call in the face of some unrelated and purly political game playing. I'd have done no different, in fact in 96 I did clear out of Tonga but then stayed another 6 days in the Nuku'alofa harbour due to weather. The Tongans did pretty much the same as those in the RIB, asked us to move on but when fronted with a firm 'No, the weather is dangerous, give us a day or 3' they backed off. The next day a pile of officials arrived again and I thought here we go only to find they had come to invite us to the Kings birthday bash at the Dateline, it was a goodie. They had the Miss Tonga pageant on as a prelude.... Oh good golly, which way is it to the cold showers???

But this story is in the media which means we only saw the view they wanted us too. The true story is highly likely to be very different.

You've got to admit Darkside & BP, that despatching a boarding party of 6 big blokes, quite probably armed is no way to encourage polite discourse.

I think its quite accurately described as "gunboat diplomacy",  was firmly resisted and I dont think there is more to it than that.

BP - regrettably i think u are right about cruising.

I've been boarded by navy twice (Eritrea and south coast of France). They don't tend to pop over on their own and as a rule navy personnel are armed. My guess is that they decided this guy was a harmless muppet and left him alone. I've only stopped at Minerva once. We had a somewhat friendlier chat with the Tongan navy vessel over the VHF, but we were on route NZ to Tonga, not coming from Fiji.

I can only hope the Tongans weren't too offended and will still go out of their way to help yachties as and when requested. As an aside pretty sure the navy vessel would be around 50 years old as well so they probably thought that comment was a bit of a laugh.