Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

plenty of berths at pine harbour are now being rented at "cost" covering opex.  There are plenty of empty berths.  I have heard of people offering berths for sale super cheap to get out as opex it is so expensive.  I guess at some point the market forces will determine if the pricing is correct.  My understanding is that you can walk away and forfeit the berth which there must be owners considering,  is that not possible at Hobsonville?

1 hour ago, Young Entertainer said:

plenty of berths at pine harbour are now being rented at "cost" covering opex.  There are plenty of empty berths.  I have heard of people offering berths for sale super cheap to get out as opex it is so expensive.  I guess at some point the market forces will determine if the pricing is correct.  My understanding is that you can walk away and forfeit the berth which there must be owners considering,  is that not possible at Hobsonville?

I asked the office at hobsonville they said owner has to sell it, give it away/ get someone to sign up. I think you would have to go bankrupt to get out of it. But that was verbal over phone, playing hardball may be different. Guess with a glut better bottom line sticking to contract.

On 14/05/2024 at 10:53 AM, Island Time said:

good idea I reckon. GH turns away the offshore vessels quite a bit now - "Full" apparently. So I guess the prices have not (yet) caused an exodus...

Looks like the answer is coming - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/hopper-developments-plans-300-berth-marina-at-hobbs-bay-gulf-harbour/OCJTCTJBGRGN3EL4IISBSHGRGQ/

• Like 1

20 years ago we were hosting willing seller/ willing buyer get together in the shop at Westypark  12M marinas changing hands for $1.00 -I dont see that anything has changed .

31 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Paywalled. What does it say?

Matt

It says that Hoppers are going to build a 300 berth marina at Gulf Harbour. Berths are 14 to 25 metre long. Also trailer park and launching ramp.

5 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

It says that Hoppers are going to build a 300 berth marina at Gulf Harbour. Berths are 14 to 25 metre long. Also trailer park and launching ramp.

And 10 superyacht berths. I was just wondering if it has resource consent?

Press Release - May 2024
Regarding the NZ Herald Article published by Anne Gibson on 16/05/2024. As of 3rd May 2024, Hoppers have submitted an application to the Ministry of the Environment under the fast-track approval process. The application includes draft planning information for a proposed future Marina at Hobbs Bay. At this stage there is no detailed design or planning for this proposed Marina project.
Hopper Developments recognises the need for additional access and launching facilities in the Hibiscus Coast area, as well as additional fixed mooring infrastructure across the Auckland region. Our research indicates a significant shortfall in boating facilities in the area, with notable delays in trailer boat access for both launching and retrieval causing frustration among the local boaties. Our proposal is designed to alleviate some of this frustration and help address the existing undersupply.
We see great potential in this area as a premium coastal community. Construction is well underway on the first stage of lots at Hobbs Bay Estate, where we are eager to bring this neighbourhood to life and welcome the community. Our development plans include 88 large residential lots (700 sqm to 2000 sqm), with reserve areas, children's playground, public beach access, and the restoration of the historic Hobbs homestead into a café to be made open to the public.
We have recently made an application which outlines plans for a future marina which includes a public beach and boat ramp. Once the subdivision at Hobbs Bay Estate is completed, the opportunity to expand with a marina development would be considerably more challenging. Such opportunities are rare and there are few other suitable locations for a marina in the Auckland region. We believe boating is integral to the quintessential Kiwi lifestyle of coastal living, and we understand that there is a responsibility on developers like us, to fulfill the needs of our community to recreate on the water. In this case, the wonderful Hauraki Gulf playground is just on the other side of the boat ramp.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/4oPYvKc7cZ1M6y38/

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Island Time said:

Paywalled. What does it say?

Matt

https://archive.ph/aIEh6

there you go :)

22 hours ago, kiwi_jon said:

This is the email that was sent to Gulf Harbour Marina berth holders last week.

Hoppers will apply for fast track consent. Presumably once the legislation has passed into law.

https://mailchi.mp/gulfharbourmarina/gulf-harbour-marina-scheme-operating-budget-13519673?e=4d146f083c

Given the protest at waiheke about extending an exisiting sea wall for a fully consented marina project, I can't  imagine a fast track project is going to go terribly smoothly either....

The RMA does need reform, but I don't think buying taking Shane Jones to lunch is the fix we need. Very concerning that a sole minister can override the courts that are the only mechanism to keep parliament in check.

• Upvote 5