Davidson 30 Stardancer

The last Davidson 42 Eleanor would be one of my favourite yachts.

Can not seem to find a decent pic and call me old school but in my opinion Laurie Davidsons eye for form meets function makes the latest crop of fat boxy arsed blobs pale in comparison.

QPXbE6n.jpg

That is very cheap for what is a great design - although they did leave out the fact that the 2010 refit was due to an unfortunate incident at The Brothers at the entrance to Te Puna inlet.....

Having owned a Davidson 35 in the past I am a Davidson fan. Great boats and great to sail. I believe the D35 was the first GRP production boat world wide to have a walk through transom. The harder it blew the better it went. 

That is very cheap for what is a great design - although they did leave out the fact that the 2010 refit was due to an unfortunate incident at The Brothers at the entrance to Te Puna inlet.....

does seem like a lot of boat for the $. don't think i want to look up the rates for 18m berths though.

Sadly the good days are well past these boats. As racers well past it and needing huge crews with their in-line rigs and it's not much fun being blown off by 40 footers.

And as cruisers far below what an import offers. Again a 40' import probably offered more space.

And the marina costs are going to be huge.

Interesting how both Davidsons spent some time on the bottom

I remember tendering $36,000 in 1995 for WitchDoctor when she had had the keel ripped clean out of her at Motukete Island (?). I was unsuccessful with my tender, however she did indeed get repaired and I’m sure has done many thousands of miles of sailing since. A beautiful yacht.

And the one without the extra mast.

Sailed on her many moons ago when she was red out of Tauranga with a mate who ended up owning Grand Prix she had a encounter under previous ownership smacked Rough Rock I believe and my buddy had the keel dropped at Lidgards yard and remedied along with dropping another fortune on a birthday for her.

Both cracker old school beauties.

6 1/2 days from the musket reefs to the ninepin in the BOI in Riada in 17, wind well ahead of the beam for 5 of those. Cruisers on the wind you could call it,often 50 or so apparent.

Nothing spectacular , but a good time,just getting the job done in a 1974 designed boat full of water and fuel and 6 months worth of cruising stuff.

Quite a few miles on Riada 2 up to Fiji and then Tonga another year, she has a flatter run aft and will burst away into a surf faster on a reach or run.

I did a passage down to Brisbane from new Cal in 13 on Grand Prix, that was the steal of the century, she'll just sit on a high average speed all day , lazy 100 miles in 12 hours in normal trades.