How many winches are on your boat??

wheels

Here's a question for everyone this morning. So how many winches do you have on your boat???

Think carefully!! :wink:

Later on after we get some answers, I will post a wee article regarding Winch History.

Ah, the fights there must have been over accidentally-borrowed winch handles, not to mention the nasty elbow clashes. At 18 winches, they must have had some crew members operating more than one? :roll:

starlight express 12 off memory +1 anchor winch

future perfect 8 + 1 anchor

pahi 8 but some people get wound up none the less.

quarter pint 4

force 11 6 used to have 1 for the mainsheet a loooong time ago

own none. sail all.

Well actually, i have none. Just like KM. In fact, none of you should have any. With the one sole possible difference being Tubthumper. I need some help on that one KM. Is a captive sheet winderupperer/downerer a Winch??

In a true nautical sense, a winch is a drum with a cable captivated and permanently wrapped around the drum and is mounted horizontally. Now, I have seen such a device on a mast for a Halyard winch once. It was a wire halyard and I seem to remember them being fairly commoin way back iun the dark ages. So if anyone has one in their count, then OK I will let them away with that. Our modern day devices we so easily call a sheet/halyard winch is in fact a Capstan. Now OK, this is technically speaking of course. I just thought it would be interesting if anyone picked up on that.

The sheet winch or capstan is what actually changed yachting and the design of yachts from the old multi sailed vessels of yesteryear to what we have today. It was the sheet winch that allowed the use of the single large sails used on the Burmudan Sloops.

As far as I know so far, it is not really known when the sheet winch actually came about. But Athaniel G Herreshoff in 1903 biult what was considered the first really good sheet winch for the Reliance. These winches were so good, they were handed down to Resolute in 1920 and then to Enterprise in 1930. Some of them may even have found their way on board Ranger six years later.' So Herreshoff was certainly a pioneer.

Clinton Crane and Sherman Hoyt wrote that even in 1930 the winches gave Herreshoff-built yachts an important advantage over competitors. Some were even worked by crew below deck. Twenty-four of the twenty-seven winches on the Bath-built Ranger had been made by Herreshoff, and Mike Vanderbilt was pleased to note the set of main sheet gripes also used on his Enterprise and Rainbow had been made 34 years before for the great Reliance.

However, these winches were indeed very much like Capstans. It was not till much later in 1959 the what we would call the "modern day" type winch was designed. That being a winch with a handle that fitted into the top and gear driven, thus allowing for reduction and 2 speeds.

In 1946, Len Lewery started a company making Tufnol dinghy fittings. In 1950, Leslie Marsh joined him. They called the company Lewmar. Then in 1959, a fellow by the name of Henry Shepherd, whose company made helicopter gearboxes for Westland, bought into Lewmar. His knowledge of lightweight aeronautical materials was used to develop the multispeed, top-action winch we recognise today.

In a true nautical sense, a winch is a drum with a cable captivated and permanently wrapped around the drum and is mounted horizontally. Now, I have seen such a device on a mast for a Halyard winch once. It was a wire halyard and I seem to remember them being fairly commoin way back iun the dark ages. So if anyone has one in their count, then OK I will let them away with that. Our modern day devices we so easily call a sheet/halyard winch is in fact a Capstan. Now OK, this is technically speaking of course. I just thought it would be interesting if anyone picked up on that.

In that case I've got 1, not counting any fishing gear! :-)

Anyone got a pair of decent sized sheet capstans for sale? :-)

SHANE

Archived