Motorbikes

10 hours ago, marinheiro said:

back on topic, looking back on motoring in the "good old days"

ae2f2f6389a65ff59ab35b6ddaa67cc2167e5d3523c9932dc0fd36a4c6b38d99.jpg

Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness.

My early career was as an auto-electrician - Bosch over Lucas any day, Denso over either of them year after year...

35 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness.

My early career was as an auto-electrician - Bosch over Lucas any day, Denso over either of them year after year...

and if memory serves me well Lucas also concocted other automotive delights such as the diabolical fuel injection system seen on the Triumph 2500PI and TR6's amongst others. Rover at least had the good sense to stick with SU carbies for quite some time longer... 

• Upvote 1

looks like it could well become the big hydro-battery they're looking for 

1920px-Lake_Onslow,_Central_Otago.jpg

In 2019, the Interim Climate Change Committee proposed that the lake be used for a pumped hydro-storage system to provide backup electricity generation in dry years. The project had first been proposed in 2005 by hydrologist Earl Bardsley of the University of Waikato.[1][2] In July 2020, Minister of Energy Megan Woods announced that the New Zealand government would fund a detailed feasibility study of the plan.[3] If progressed, the scheme would be the biggest infrastructure project in New Zealand since the 1980s, employ an estimated 3500 to 4500 people, and take four to five years to build and a further two years to fill.[4] One option could be 5 TWh of storage and a 1.2 GW power station, equivalent to half a year of full production.[5]

Bikes have a come a long way but I'm not sure the enjoyment factor has changed. Wish I still had this one

CCF_000012.jpg

Here's a pic scanned out of my original T100 factory workshop manual that came with the bike.

and the guarantee that came with it although not much use for the 2nd owner years later!

CCF_000011.jpg

Count me in as another sailor who has the bike bug... racing was my sole focus for most of 20 years and i had a lot of fun with relatively minor injuries. Road bikes still appeal but the roads are too busy these days. A group of us did a ride way way up into the seaward kaikoura range a few years back - so spectacular but a few places you had maybe 250mm to ride  on v 100's of metres of fall...i'll see if i can dig out a few pics

Jim 250 no 3...jpg

• Upvote 2
On 20/07/2021 at 4:05 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

they would here if it looked like this:

Shinkansen: The bullet train inspired by Kingfishers | by Jolie Li | UX  Collective

They are freakin' amazing ot ride in.  300kph, smooth as.  And when an express blows through a regional station at 180kph or more you feel the pressure wave before you hear it.  Amazeballs.

https://youtu.be/Cm6TLNitR0M

I will raise you to 600kph. 

China’s 600 Kph Maglev Train Rolled off the Production Line
China's new high-speed maglev train with a designed top speed of 600 km per hour rolled off the production line on Tuesday, making it the currently the fastest ground vehicle available globally.

I need to update my riding gear for sealed road touring (on a sports tourer), and interested to hear feedback on the perennial leather vs textile options.

I am aware textile is not permitted on tracks. Results on this site are interesting reading https://www.motocap.com.au/

I also know asking this question is a bit like asking the best anchor question....🤣