Motorbikes

1 hour ago, aardvarkash10 said:

hell man - you make that thing look like a 125!  Are you very tall, or is it a camera angle thing?

I was reasonably tall with long legs.

The bike was super quick, as Dick Lawton was known in road race circles for building the Suzuki TR500 gp road bike that was faster than the factory bikes https://amcn.com.au/editorial/smokin-suzuki-xr05/  for Keith Turner and others.

The first race start for me had me overshooting the first corner and hearly flying off a bank, luckily I was stopped by a fence, such was the speed difference from my own bike.

• Haha 1
On 26/07/2021 at 5:48 PM, Rangi1 said:

Ngawha geothermal not shown on that plan? 

Ngawha geothermal is connected within the Top Energy distribution system.  The distribution assets are not shown on the Transpower map.  It is effectively (an electrically :) ) connected at Kaikohe.

• Upvote 1
On 26/07/2021 at 5:34 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Thanks for that - I understood that Manapouri was direct feed to Tiwai only.

That is what Tiwai woudl like you to believe i.e. we signed a contract and paid for the power station so we get cheap power forever.

just thinking as i set off for town today (turning the toyota's heater onto max as i was half frozen from doing farm work in the rain)   Do EV's have heater's? surely they do but it must wreak havoc on the battery... Julie-ann  Genter would do well to go and work in southland for a winter and hopefully reset her outlook

On 13/08/2021 at 6:56 PM, erice said:

i used to live in a sub-zero snow country and my big long wheel-base high-roof delica turbo diesel, (over 2mtrs high and over 5mtr long) had dual batteries for cold starting, seat heaters and glass heaters so you could unstick frozen wiper from the screen without destroying the blades

imagine driving an ev version at night in falling snow with the heater on, the heater fan on blasting heat out to the 6?m3 interior, wipers going, radio and seat heaters on and lights blazing...............doubt the range would be much and seem to remember battery's chemical processes slow down with falling temperatures...  

when the chassis rails rusted out from road salt it went off to the russian far east for repair and a new life, they're very popular over there.........here a short-wheelbase plays in the snow

Imagine running out of diesel! EV's have limitation and it will be a long time before fossil fuels are replaced in harsh environments but who knows what tech may be discovered in the next 50 years? Funny to say this but my grandad was born not last century but the one before where horses were the big deal, he didnt see a car until he was 15! In his lifetime transportation went from sails to 747's.

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, erice said:

nozawa onsen? just up the road from wife's house and just over madarou mountain to our cabin

yeah - love that area.  More culture than Hokkaido, lots to see, great riding, choice of fields.  I just cancelled our booking for January 2022 in Myoko Kogen :-(

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, erice said:

nozawa onsen? just up the road from wife's house and just over madarou mountain to our cabin

10? public hot bath houses scattered around the town from tiny to big

this is the big 

E9878EE6B2A2E381AEE5AEBF21-600x450.jpg

20190528_200900-768x512.jpg

yeah, thats it.  I made a point of trying to get around all the onsen (11 by my count), but it was hard going when our accommodation had one already.

First year (2015) we were there for Fire Festival.  A mix of Wickerman and some Tennessee fertility rite!  Soooo much fun.   Not a sober person in town for about five days from what I could tell.

On 5/08/2021 at 7:52 AM, erice said:

yes, same macintosh who was making the racing suzukis in the 80s

https://www.mcnews.com.au/bathurst-1983-1984-lens-phil-aynsley/

the kiwi bimota that actually has race pedigree

note the spokes on freeth's bike

PA-Bathurst-1984-100-1024x877.jpg

large.Clipboard01.jpg.b9276c192cd37fb025ea2befd2fafc78.jpg

Went round to Roger Freeths place when I was a teenager to get some advice on the merits of building a bike for the track, I had boxes of H2r engine and bike parts, but never had the money to finish the project, probably just as well! Got spat of the road H2 several very painful times in the 70's!!! Think he he'd just finished racing TZ750's at the time. He was a really smart, helpful guy, a great loss when he passed. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Psyche said:

Not a real Allen video.  When he said he was going to replace the battery, I expected him to go and mine the lead by hand with a hacksaw and a 16oz ball pien hammer, cast the plates, brew and mix the acid.... 

5 hours ago, twisty said:

I am impressed with his engineering skills but can't see the point in what he does. Certainly not making a useful bike

you could say the same of any manufacturer who produces a bike capable of more than 100kph.  The engineering skill IS the point.

On 15/08/2021 at 8:47 PM, Psyche said:

Went round to Roger Freeths place when I was a teenager to get some advice on the merits of building a bike for the track, I had boxes of H2r engine and bike parts, but never had the money to finish the project, probably just as well! Got spat of the road H2 several very painful times in the 70's!!! Think he he'd just finished racing TZ750's at the time. He was a really smart, helpful guy, a great loss when he passed. 

The Flying Doctor on his Macintosh.

5006EB45-6D5E-4765-893B-366979882737.jpeg.834926f528cbf53c35ff76e044c4d8c3.jpeg

92F5FF00-F77A-456A-B949-EAF9FA5EE4D4.jpeg.1038371dbb02ec44131cf4c19cca142a.jpeg

7153FCA4-C485-4908-8C32-A18F5364569E.thumb.png.3362bbc774e809322315c90b3f406d96.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1