10 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Multi story apartments to help with the housing crisis?

So what travel lift options does that leave for yachties in Auckland now?

• Gulf Harbour Marina
  • Hobsonville Marina
  • Orams (does Orams allow owners to work on their boats?)

Does Pine Harbour or Bucklands have travel lifts?

There is also Robertsons at Warkworth (Conrad won the auction for the land), boats up to 3 m draft can get up the Mahurangi river on the right tide with a bit of guidance.

Heading in the other direction there is Westpark, 2 travel lifts there

1 hour ago, Bad Kitty said:

Only negative is Robertson's is a full service yard, so I don't think you can do any work yourself? Is that the case AS?

You can do your own work there no problem, I always do my own antifouling and whatever else I can do myself. Just got to follow the safety rules.

Conrad asks, not unreasonably, that he has first shot at any 3rd party works. Even so, when I wanted my yacht polished by my regular valet he was ok with that (after the requisite grumbling), so the valet charged Conrad who in turn charged me +5% markup which I was cool with.

• Upvote 2

speaking of Robertson's, one interesting major refit they are doing is to the Farr designed Cotton Blossom.

Apparently some Hong Kong based guy bought her sight unseen during the lock down period from the Vances and she is undergoing a stem to stern refit. I think a carbon rig is on the agenda, not sure if the typical 70's Farr keel will be turbo'd.

29 minutes ago, waikiore said:

The original owners were considering doing that a few years ago and entering the Hobart -for fun.

I believe she raced in the SYD - HOB whilst she was under Australian ownership(she was Melbourne based for some years), after Peter Spencer sold her.

What is happening to Pier 21?  According to this article it will become:

A 12-level 154-unit retirement village, 200-seat wedding venue, new 250-seat waterfront dining/bar building, outdoor pool in a resort-like zone for village residents, new marina piers, dredging the seabed to make it deeper, a new marina and refurbishing many other surrounding buildings are part of the plan for the site.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/northbrook-wynyard-quarter-to-be-citys-1st-vertical-retirement-village-750m-plans-1375m-penthouses/CSRESMMDZRF7JMXMLD37XOI4WE/

LVBAIXOXX5BGDN3MMWX2B4NMDU.jpg

Sounds like Orams is going to have a lot of issues with reverse sensitivity in the very near future.

The whole concept of high end apartments and retirement villages alongside heavy marine industrial sites is just ridiculous. Auckland Council is steadily dismantling the Auckland Marine industry and making no efforts to safeguard it or provide any alternative sites.

Just like the nonsense idea of shutting down the port, only property developers are benefitting from this while aucklanders are paying the price, and places to work and earn good money continue to move offshore.

• Upvote 2

We have been discussing this in the Paihia thread, just bungling along in a tide of self interest regardless of consequences.  The short version is that yachting has no political weight anymore so politicians having zero interest in supporting it. 

• Upvote 1

ok reading the article its essentially a gated Rymans for wealthier people.

“We did a lot of research and the demography was very strong. There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s and a lot of them have a lot of money. There’s nothing that caters to them at the moment. People really want to be looked after.

In the industry its called "grey gold" and this development is hoping to strike it rich with warehousing cashed up oldies in 5 star digs. There goes the neighbourhood as they say, and a long way from when Beaumont Street was the place to go on Saturday night to watch burnouts and drag races! 

13 hours ago, motorb said:

Sounds like Orams is going to have a lot of issues with reverse sensitivity in the very near future.

The whole concept of high end apartments and retirement villages alongside heavy marine industrial sites is just ridiculous. Auckland Council is steadily dismantling the Auckland Marine industry and making no efforts to safeguard it or provide any alternative sites.

Just like the nonsense idea of shutting down the port, only property developers are benefitting from this while aucklanders are paying the price, and places to work and earn good money continue to move offshore.

Ironically the developers are quite the sailors and have done a bit of racing but not as we know it .

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

And would all this building be going on if Dalton/Etnz didn't go to Spain??

Spain? You mean Jeddah, for the Jamal Kashoggi memorial regatta. There is more money in greenwashing tyrannical dictatorships and legitimitising their war on the piss-poor goat-herder neighbours than there is racing boats y'know.

But I wouldn't think anything Dalton does would influence land development. That area has been prime for development for some time. I am very surprised nothing has been announced for the land at Sailor's Corner. Was sad when Smart Marine closed and moved, but just can't get the revenue from medium format retail in an old shed that you can from multi-level development of almost any type of floor space.

So they got rid of the harstand next to their luxury retirement village project and are turning it into eateries and other amenity for their existing development plans while adding another drydock and few berths to add value and probably meet land use zoning requirements.

We're still left desperately short on haulout facilities.

It's also a weird name....

1 hour ago, motorb said:

It's also a weird name....

I wonder how they got around not getting 'gifted' a name by Ngati Orakei. I guess if they aren't creating any lanes or roads that need to be registered with LINZ(?) then they avoid all the rules on only naming new things in Te Reo.

On 12/07/2023 at 10:11 AM, harrytom said:

And would all this building be going on if Dalton/Etnz didn't go to Spain??

Mmmmm...  I understand the antipathy  towards  Dalton  but I think that might be drawing a slightly long bow :-)