Caulerpa now in BOI

9 minutes ago, K4309 said:

I'm going to get a f**king big RESEARCH sign.

And continue with my research of where the big snapper and kingfish are.

Jokes aside, you are not wrong. Given the Iwi have imposed a Rahui on top of the CAN, there is potential for community 'disharmony' and agro on the water.

Special Maori poles were cut down at the Barrier, which caused hurt to the local tribe. Not to mention someone felt aggrieved enough to take their chainsaw to said specials poles (apologies I can't speak te reo and don't know the culturally appropriate name of said special poles).

Issues we have seen at the Barrier will be on steriods at BoI, due to the shear number of water users and road access, which Barrier does not have. Not just cruising sailors but fizz boats, fisho's, divers, spear fisho's etc. A very wide section of our society.

I’m hoping the the “other half “ that have baches ? And houses in that area bring their weight to bear in a good way . 

4 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

I’m hoping the the “other half “ that have baches ? And houses in that area bring their weight to bear in a good way . 

I'm not actually intending to do that. I was more wanting to highlight the number of loop holes in the boating ban. But that said, I expect MPI will need a patrol boat out full time to manage the ban over busy periods, weekends, summer holidays etc.

At the very least they will need to mark off the area with buoys like with marine reserves.

43 minutes ago, Adrianp said:

MPI website is remarkably quiet on this issue. 

Nothing on the front page and I gave up looking after I was 7 pages deep into the Biosecurity part of the website. You wouldn't think there is any issue based on their website. 

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/

Probably a different silo leading it. Other possible silos are BiosecurityNZ (just cause they are part of MPI doesn't mean they don't have their own army of PR spinners, and a completely different website) or NRC, who are funded by MPI to manage this response.

Can you keep up with the structure?

2 hours ago, Adrianp said:

MPI website is remarkably quiet on this issue. 

Nothing on the front page and I gave up looking after I was 7 pages deep into the Biosecurity part of the website. You wouldn't think there is any issue based on their website. 

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/

As of yesterday it was the very first item on there news page, which you can get from the News link at top right of the home page.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/biosecurity/exotic-pests-and-diseases-in-new-zealand/pests-and-diseases-under-response/exotic-caulerpa-seaweeds-at-great-barrier-great-mercury-islands-and-bay-of-islands-te-rawhiti-inlet/

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news/media-releases/biosecurity-rules-in-place-to-stop-northland-spread-of-invasive-seaweed/

6 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

As of yesterday it was the very first item on there news page, which you can get from the News link at top right of the home page.

The NEWS tab is not where I tend to look for important navigation information. I think it just shows how useless the Biosecurity framework we have is. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Adrianp said:

The NEWS tab is not where I tend to look for important navigation information. I think it just shows how useless the Biosecurity framework we have is. 

CAN's aren't navigational information and they aren't restricted to the marine environment. 

CAN's can apply to literally anywhere.  They can apply to a specific building, they can apply to the backyard of a beekeeper. 

They can be notified by any means deemed necessary.  In newspapers on radios, in magazine's on websites etc etc... It's the agencies responsibility to get the info out there by whatever means necessary.

The fact it is here on crew posted by a member means they have succeeded.

I can't imagine anyone would go looking for any CAN applicable to them before they walked out their front door each day :)

37 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Only if you are the YNZ representative of your club.

I don't really have time for that type of twaddlebollocks. Its about time some of these CEO types heard it how it is. If they are on to it, they will appreciate the approach, any 'honest feedback'. If they don't appreciate it, they shouldn't be in that role.

When told he was in a meeting, I was also asked if I would like him to call me back, so the receptionist clearly didn't bother first confirming I was an approved, delegated representative. To be honest, the general vibe was 'how can we help', which was very refreshing.

Like I said, I did get through to the PR guy first go, which was very good. He was very engaged, more so when he got up to speed with the issue. Took my contact details and was asking specific questions, clearly with the intent of following aspects up. We did briefly touch on how AYBA are doing all the heavy lifting regards advocating for boaties right now, and how YNZ take substantially more in levies than AYBA, but moved on from that fairly quickly to focus on the problem at hand.

To be honest BP, I'm really disappointed in that comment. If there is an issue you feel strongly about, you shouldn't feel restrained from contacting the appropriate people cause you haven't been previously approved as the designated representative. This issue is nothing to do with my club, and everything to do about an existential threat to boating and all marine based leisure activities in the BoI.

PS, the PR guy confirmed David A and the advocacy person were in the same meeting, so it wasn't a ruse by reception to make me go away.

They already have caulerpa outside of the CAN area. Go figure.

They are trialing the Californian method of killing it. Strange how they didn't trial that method at Barrier.

Noting that the AC expert said to me that the Californian eradication was successful cause they only had 1 m2 of it. Also noting that MPI's expert panel said you can't erradicate it.

So the CAN is not even 24hrs old, and caulerpa is already outside of it. They will either extend the ban, or see sense and lift it all together. My money is on extending the ban, so they can get a huge budget from govt and build a nice wee empire, whilst trying to control nature.

New Zealand-first caulerpa treatment trial set up in Bay of Islands today | RNZ News

2 hours ago, K4309 said:

I don't really have time for that type of twaddlebollocks. Its about time some of these CEO types heard it how it is. If they are on to it, they will appreciate the approach, any 'honest feedback'. If they don't appreciate it, they shouldn't be in that role.

When told he was in a meeting, I was also asked if I would like him to call me back, so the receptionist clearly didn't bother first confirming I was an approved, delegated representative. To be honest, the general vibe was 'how can 

To be honest BP, I'm really disappointed in that comment. If there is an issue you feel strongly about, you shouldn't feel restrained from contacting the appropriate people cause you haven't been previously approved as the designated representative. 

Feel free to be disappointed.  Going back a few years now i had a bit of interaction with ynz, and their standard defense for doing nothing was that they don't represent sailors, just yc's.

Long time ago now and it would be nice to know things have changed.  But I've joined the masses who pay the levy and expect nothing,  it's my annual donation to our Olympic team. 

10 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Feel free to be disappointed.  Going back a few years now i had a bit of interaction with ynz, and their standard defense for doing nothing was that they don't represent sailors, just yc's.

Long time ago now and it would be nice to know things have changed.  But I've joined the masses who pay the levy and expect nothing,  it's my annual donation to our Olympic team. 

Fair point. I took your comment as criticism of me having the audacity to want to speak directly to the guy in charge.

There has been widespread dissatisfaction with YNZ's representation of boaties and the amount of revenue they generate from us. In my view, this closing and banning of all boating activities is clearly an exestential threat to boating, and if YNZ can't actively advocate for us, or do anything useful, it is time YNZ get sorted out. How to do that is the next question, but either by board representation, bya member movement, or by coordination from clubs pulling out.

You will be familiar with Weiti's attempt to withdraw. We had a dozen YNZ employees to the SGM, but not David A, and then f*ck all else happened after that. 

In my view, the volunteers that run our clubs have enough on without trying to sort out a professional slush pit. Which is why YNZ seem to be able to get away with ignoring us.

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

Dried & smoked- any good? Could have some medicinal properties. No? Research the crap out of it and we can become the eradication experts. New export. Surely our PhD's can come with something better than California scorched earth.

We could always introduce a predator and create another problem, kick the CAN  down the road.

Include it in the ETS. That amount of biological growth will sequester a substantial amount of carbon.

Got the latest epistle from David A , two pics of Opunga Cove (which is not in the restricted area) and a general support for MPI instead of questioning the logic of the whole affair, the fellow is a yacht club funded jellyfish , needs to be washed ashore

32 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Got the latest epistle from David A , two pics of Opunga Cove (which is not in the restricted area) and a general support for MPI instead of questioning the logic of the whole affair, the fellow is a yacht club funded jellyfish , needs to be washed ashore

I just read the YNZ briefings. What a disappointment. Almost all of it is copied directly from MPI, other than the glowing endorsement of David A, who didn't know about it at all as of yesterday lunch time.

I am not at all surprised YNZ doesn't have the fortitude to question or go against the govt narrative. Not a mention of the aquarium trade introduction. Even MPI's material highlight the use of caulerpa in aquariums.