Paint

Has anybody used Durepox marine paints? 

I'm near to repainting newly glassed decks and cabin top - plus topsides repair ( full top sides next year) and at the decision point. Ive no idea cost comparisons/ application differences. At this stage just interested in suitability and mostly - durability 

The benefit of Durepox is that it's a one coat system, its primer, undercoat and topcoat in one. You can add clear to white to get more gloss and UV protection. It wont have the gloss and long term colour retention of LPU systems though. Topsides should really be LPU, for the decks it all depends on how you want to do the non-skid. The best painted non skid is sprayed grit particles and that's done with LPU. 

Durepox is fine, but its not going to be a superyacht finish is the short answer but its tough and long lasting.

11 hours ago, Romany said:

Has anybody used Durepox marine paints? 

I'm near to repainting newly glassed decks and cabin top - plus topsides repair ( full top sides next year) and at the decision point. Ive no idea cost comparisons/ application differences. At this stage just interested in suitability and mostly - durability 

Yep got it below the waterline on a trailer yacht . It’s apprently 12 years old and still looks like new . Also have it in black on the gennaker prod and on the rudder too . I didn’t apply it myself I have a clever mate that’s good at that sort of thing , he has a trick of mixing fairing compound into the primer coats so it works as a highbuild . 2 years out in the weather and the prod still looks like new .

IMG_2444.jpeg

Thanks for replies.

While I may think a Townson 36 is a super yacht, that may not be a widely shared view, however, tough and durable I like the sound of. 

What is an 'LPU' and why?

On the subject of skid resistant finish I was going to go with kiwi grip I think its called.

Kiwi grip is really good - it's water based and easy to apply with the special roller. When I used it first I was a bit concerned about its

durability because of the water base, but it's as hard as nails, and wears well, so don't make the finish too coarse, or you'll take the skin off

• Upvote 1

Used a lot of it last year during our 1020 refit. 

Key to no bubbles is getting your thinning ratios right for your chosen application, temperature and relative humidity. To get your UV stability, reduce long term chalking of the coating etc you should be adding 15-20% durepox high performance gloss into your white/ black/ whatever durepox colour you have (unless it's below the water line, then I'm not sure). 

In regards to what Guest said about the tape tearing the paint, it really depends on what tape type using. It surprises me how few people are using the more modern Washi tapes (rice paper tape), and continue to use crepe paper or vinyl tapes from the likes of 3M or Scotch or similar. There's good quality washi tapes available that have wax polymer coatings on them meaning the paint won't stick to it, while leaving razor sharp lines when you remove it. I've moved a few guys onto it down at our local club with a boat builder now buying it by the box full. It'll change your life🤣

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cheap Transport said:

Used a lot of it last year during our 1020 refit. 

Key to no bubbles is getting your thinning ratios right for your chosen application, temperature and relative humidity. To get your UV stability, reduce long term chalking of the coating etc you should be adding 15-20% durepox high performance gloss into your white/ black/ whatever durepox colour you have (unless it's below the water line, then I'm not sure). 

In regards to what Guest said about the tape tearing the paint, it really depends on what tape type using. It surprises me how few people are using the more modern Washi tapes (rice paper tape), and continue to use crepe paper or vinyl tapes from the likes of 3M or Scotch or similar. There's good quality washi tapes available that have wax polymer coatings on them meaning the paint won't stick to it, while leaving razor sharp lines when you remove it. I've moved a few guys onto it down at our local club with a boat builder now buying it by the box full. It'll change your life🤣

Where can you the Washi tapes from?

We used Durepox last year on the deck. Main reason I chose Durepox was I could get it colour matched to our paint colour. Was easy to use and has a very hard finish. I liked it. Also stripped and painted aluminium hatch covers and used on them, no primer needed.

For non stick we sprinkled intergrip which worked fine. Tried mixing it in but didnt give the same grip as sprinkling it out a large salt shaker.

I would recommend.