A new Rapido 40

22 minutes ago, brendong said:

What are those grey areas at the stern between the hulls? ........If it's seating then it looks a dodgy add on.

I think the seating is on the main hull, either side of cockpit. Park bench style. The angle of the photograph makes them line up and look like they are part of the solar panel platforms on the arches. I guess they want the solar down low to keep the windage down? Was going to say for righting moment, but it's a raft...

8 minutes ago, K4309 said:

I think the seating is on the main hull, either side of cockpit. Park bench style. The angle of the photograph makes them line up and look like they are part of the solar panel platforms on the arches. I guess they want the solar down low to keep the windage down? Was going to say for righting moment, but it's a raft...

I see it now. Would be interesting to see it from a different angle as that seating in the cockpit look very much like park benches.

I'd guess most electric yacht propulsion is hybrid with a genset for when the sun isn't shining. Would make a lot of sense for a new build, and if you weren't planning to motor for huge amounts of time. 

Rapido 40 #07 has arrived in New Zealand!!

It's all electric with Oceanvolt and is the first Rapido 40 to have a helm wheel.

This is the second Rapido to be based in New Zealand. Rapido 60 #02, Romanza, is in Auckland.

#allectric, #helmwheel, #rapido40, #oceanvolt

from bookface

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Rapido 40 #07 has arrived in New Zealand!!

It's all electric with Oceanvolt and is the first Rapido 40 to have a helm wheel.

This is the second Rapido to be based in New Zealand. Rapido 60 #02, Romanza, is in Auckland.

#allectric, #helmwheel, #rapido40, #oceanvolt

from bookface

I love the OceanVolt range.  I really regret repowering to another diesel.  A definite case of not knowing what I know now. 3 years ago I just thought I knew that diesel was the only option and there was no way electric could ever be an option... boy have I learned a lot. 

Where is Romanza now? Was on the poles at Westhaven but I have not seen her for a long time... 

A beautiful boat. 

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Where is Romanza now? Was on the poles at Westhaven but I have not seen her for a long time... 

A beautiful boat. 

In Marsden Cove according to PredictWind AIS

21 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

I love the OceanVolt range.  I really regret repowering to another diesel.  A definite case of not knowing what I know now. 3 years ago I just thought I knew that diesel was the only option and there was no way electric could ever be an option... boy have I learned a lot. 

A beautiful boat. 

I tried really hard to make it work for me, but ended up going 2 x 40hp diesel again, and don't regret it for a minute. The all-electric solution is, imho, not mature enough or well proven enough. There are numerous boats that have gone that way, and then ripped it all out & refitted ICE drivetrains. 

Ultimately, every now & then you may need to motor for 48 hours, and nothing all electric will do it. Not in small craft size.

• Upvote 1
Just now, waikiore said:

Absolutely right BK, fine for a Lake boat but for NZ coastal cruising and further afield not so much.  

Hybrid as in the new HH44 I think is looking promising, but they can still only motor at 5kts ish