This Weekend's Achievements

Snap even if I did need a slightly bigger trailer than WT though. Then won the Akl Regatta 40fter Div.

A hard but good long weekend with some great people.

post-646-141887219879.jpg

Ran our full scale technical rehearsal for filming a doco on next years 30th Annual Waikato Seagul race. Having had a taste of what goes on with these guys the past few days, this has got to be the pick of on water events over Easter weekend. Insanely good fun! Our camera boat could do 25 knots and we couldn't keep up with the fastest 5hp seagul boat!!! :shock: They had 28 boats on the start line this year. Awesome.....

fleetwood.JPG

Went up to Opua Fri, did a few little jobs then dropped the mooring around 4. Angela is visiting her mum so I wanted to have my first attempt at single handing the big plywood box. Apart from one more sail to put up and down at the beginning and end it was easy peasy. Nice boat.

Spent the night at Opunga Cove - lovely- no fish- came back this morning under power and arrived just as the breeze picked up- bugger.

Now dreaming of my next escape.

Nice one David, great to know you can single hand. Just got back from a ten day single hand from Gisborne to Whangaparaoa Bay ( East Cape) and back. Ten days and 5 gales! One very nasty one that i sat out at Whangaparoa where I had the interesting experiance of being anchored in 3 or 4 metres swell!! I was trying to make it to Waiheke Island for the Junk Rig Association get together but the weather turned on me at the East Cape, 24 hours of Northerly Gale and 24 hours of NW gale so got to be a bit too late. I'm re naming Baleana Bay Feroscious after seeing how well she goes in tough conditions. She earnt that name on this trip! Magnificent yacht and I admire Bill Atkins for his design.

Sounds like fun!!!

I was impressed with the schooner, I was keen to try front and back sails only and not only was it balanced but gave huge control as they are so well spaced. I even sailed onto the anchor (with just the back sail she sits head to wind and goes slowly backward - perfect).

Technically, from back to front: Mainsail, Foresail, Jib. But my girls for some reason struggle with that so I'm trying to find something that I can live with and they can wrap their heads around. At the moment they are winning with back, middle and front. Offensive, but better than the main, and the other main.

Balance is very nice. I'm considering building a couple of masts for Bbay, soon to be Ferocious, either Junk Rigged or Freedom Yacht style. I like the unstayed masts and the idea of extra ability to balance the sail plan is appealing. We have a lot of beam so Bbay has hard sharp action in beam seas or even at anchor which I'm also hoping to slow a bit with solid wood masts putting some weight above which may even bring her more inline with Bill's original design.

I like the idea of the Split Junk Rig most which apparently is a very powerful sail and goes well to windward even in light air. With some experience and a Junk rig I may be able to sail on and off a mooring also. :D Should be able to bring her SAD up to 19 from 13!

I was sheltering from that mean low that came through this week at Whangaparaoa, sh*t scared when the swells started to come through, for the yacht as I could have swum in easily. The sound the wind made in the trees on the hills was freaky, really really scary. I woke Wednesday at 4 am knowing something was wrong, had a look above and the anchor rode had rubbed through. Pitch black a rainy morn with no visibility at all so took a course I had made just in case and motored out to sea. I must have been awakened by the rode breaking because the anchor alarm had not gone off. So motored 5 miles or so out and raised the main and hove to. Its a good spot in a NE or Easterly blow as you can go to sea easy as and get sea room. I was expecting the westerly blow that evening so had planned on leaving though taking the anchor along would have been nice. Then around East island, on the way home, I was running before a strong wind, pissing about trying to get my glasses on so I could see the GPS I did a Chinese Jib, in around 40 knots of wind! There goes the reef point in my nice mainsail but a good thing came out of it, surprising me, the sail laid flat against the strouds and she sails straight downwind quietly and elegantly no tiller required, straight , beautiful sail. so now I can sail her directly downwind in a most beautiful fashion, I'm wrapped!

wouldn't the "back" sail be the main sail? I like the idea of sailing on and off the anchor, a lost art these days.
And a massive amount of fun to use to wind up anchored near by fizz nasties. I left Motuhie a month or so back under sail and got screamed at by 2 boats for being 'dangerous'. They shouted so loud I went back just for the fun of it, they screamed louder, I laughed harder. Twas a fun game.

Yep, when we finally own "all" of the boat the goal is to become energy independant so the engine is only for propulsion, and if sailing on and off the anchor is easy it may never get used again :lol:

Went to the demo yard and bought a few planks of kauri for the Piedy. Finished insulating under the house, then went horse riding on a very friendly horse called 'Quest'. While Quest was very friendly and nice to look at, it was about as close as you can get to riding a sofa. Couldn't run to save itself. Didn't think much of turning corners or going down hill. In retrospect, he/she would rate really well under IOR.

A marathon job for me. Removed 5 hatches, 5 vents and all hardware and then Sanded the entire Front deck back to the bare Ply. This afternoon, rolled a seal coat of Epoxy over the ply to soak in and now ready for Glassing next weekend hopefully. Now very tired and very sore. I don't seem to be as "malleable" as I once used to and the ole Knee's, Back and Shoulders are feeling it.