Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

Second Officer of Rena charged

The second officer of the Rena is facing a charge under the Maritime Transport Act as the fears grow that the stricken ship will disintegrate.

The 47,000 tonne ship Rena, which struck the Astrolabe reef off Tauranga last Wednesday, has been leaking oil into the sea. Up to 70 containers have fallen from the deck, as heavy seas continued to thwart salvage efforts.

Thick slicks of oil drifting from the ship have washed ashore on Tauranga beaches and oil has been seen on beaches in harbour suburbs.

Transport Minister Steven Joyce has confirmed the officer was facing a charge under Section 65 of the act, which covers dangerous activity involving ships or maritime products.

The officer, who was in charge of the navigational watch of the cargo ship, will appear in Tauranga District Court tomorrow morning.

The ship's captain appeared in court earlier today, facing charges under the same section of the act.

The deterioration of the stricken cargo ship was now quite clear, and taxpayers may have to pay for part of the salvage and clean-up, Prime Minister John Key said.

There were large cracks in the ship’s hull and it was feared that the stern of the vessel would break away, Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5770 ... reak-up-PM

....aussie...thick hide. More worried about the ramifications of the spill.

Latest that is on our news here, is that three tugs have been orded to hook up and hold the bow up to slow down the break up of the hull.

From what I can see it is SNAFU...

A very sad thing.....so next time someone says.."yeah..we have all the enviromental factors sorted"....ask them what that realy means.

What realy pisses me off is that it is always money...jobs...that is our bench marks...

What crap.

"Cant have the enviroment with out jobs..eh"....

Dont forget...we AUSSIES...had the same thing happen on the great barrier reef only a short time ago.

It was just luck and the marine gods that stopped that from being a dissater of the magnitude that is happening now in NZ.

We still allow a full shipping run on the inside of the great barrier reef. Stupid.

Hells Bells...the shipping numbers are going to double in the next few years.

We are going to have to accept "ooops" which means we are going to have to get good at dealing with it.....

OR f*ck off our fishing and beach cultures...

Reality is not a friend it seems..particulaly if you are a greenie

Well, if it makes you feel and better (but I doubt that it will), the spill is big international news. You have the sympathy of millions around the world.

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Tauranga in March, and did a walk up the Mount. Bummed a ride at the Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat Club with Peter D. in a Wed. night race.

I was really struck by the pride of the Taurangans in their beautiful city and its nautical environs, as well as their friendliness to pushy old gringos.

I see that oil is now up on the TYPBC small boat launching beach in front of the Club. Ouch!!

Solidarity from the Sandusky (Ohio) Sailing Club.

You will prevail.

Rigger, any idea what the plans is when the ship breaks in two? Tow line is already made fast i'm told..

I do not get much news that I can pass on that is not already in the news reports.

There is so much that needs to be known before you can state what will happen:

- will the different sections have enough reserve buoyancy to stay afloat?

- is there suffucient stability in the sections to allow then to stay in a position that avoids a capsize?

- can the tugs get connected up.

- will the damaged container stacks restrict / delay where the tugs can hook up?

I will say that as usual the media is getting some of the facts wrong and not reporting some facts as much as other facts - I suppose that is because it is not as news worthy / will not get peoples attention.

I did see some interesting footage from a friend yesterday - very interesting stuff - would have been nice to have seen it broadcast.

Quick and simple way to protect most Hulls will be to get some big cheap trailter Tarps from Wharehouse or Supercheap and simple slid under Hull and up the otherside and let the Tarp get coated in oil. Anyone wanting a repaint shopuld just let it coat the Hull and go for Insurance :wink:

I can't quite see how a Tug pushing on the Stern of something that size, is going to keep it intacked and sitting on the Reef, but we have a better expert on that. Rigger!! what do you reckon? has it got a show???

Infact it may actually be better to allow the ship to break up. It doesn;t mean the stern wiull sink. It has happened before with both halves of ships remaining afloat. The crack will be along the joint area of a Bulkhead and the Bulkhead will keep that Hold behind it watertight. If she comes apart, The rear will then sit upright and providing the weight balance has not been too greatly affected by missing cointainer, she will sit up right and they may actually be able to use some tugs and tow the thing into Port. The Bow would sit better in the Rock, without the Stern moving it around.

A massive container veesel broke in half some years back as it was rounding Cape of Good Hope in big seas and the salvage team managed to tow both halves back to port for salvage.

As bad is it is, I reckon in 6 months time it will be a distant memory

Don't get me wrong, it is having a massive effect on Tauranga and it's people, and I feel for those who are financially affected.

But

I believe it's like a car crash. Devastating effect on the immediate future, with much anguish and heartache.

This will last till the Oil has stopped escaping and the containers are all accounted for. 4 weeks?

Then man will come and clean up what it can (another 4 weeks), and then nature will take care of the rest.

I am not trying to make light of the situation, but just looking on the positive side.

Feel free to call me a dick, but please wait 6 months.

As bad is it is, I reckon in 6 months time it will be a distant memory.

Perhaps for the majority of NZrs but spare a thought for those that are going to be either out of work or out of business because of this. Those scares won't have healed in 6 months.

I also suspect that because of the timing of this event that we will see some political fallout. We could well see a green party that dictates who ends up in government for the next three years. A very scary thought.

Let's hope common sense prevails.

Guest Saturday Night Special

this is the typical result of what happens when everything is run to the lowest common finacial dollar .junker run by a cheap crew .

I get really pissed off with shipping. Seems to me they employ the cheapest labour on the planet without regard for safety. Like that yacht that was run down off the tip of the North Island years ago where the woman watched the crew line the deck as they steamed on without stopping, She was the only one to survive.

These are not seamen but sea scum!

Often we hear about them not replying to vhf calls probably because no one on the helm at least no one awake.

I often hear that apparently they cannot see yachts on radar but I think thats bullshit as we show up on our friends and fishing boats radar.

If it turns out these guys were partying I hope that the law has the teeth to cause all shipping to take note. What if they had hit another vessel rather than a rock? All of these assholes should be made to wear the dead birds around their necks and eat their own oil.

I'll be writing to my local member to increase penalties for this type of incident and indeed any unprofessional conduct.

Some thoughts on this matter.

1. The section 65 charges are most likely holding charges for each of the master and navigation officer. further charges will be laid next wednesday that have greater penalties.

2. Assuming there is either a guilty plea or the two defendants are found guilty the penalties imposed on the master will not be enough for some. Whatever happens I am picking there will be howls of outrage from the hang 'em high department.

Archived