Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

Those blokes are Heroes for going onboard that hulk. They could get crushed or drowned at any moment. The bloke who was on the helm when she ran aground should be doing it!!

I reckon it will let go tonight or maybe earlier. I hope they get a great deal of oil off before it does if it does.

So they reckon they can pump 15 to 20tonnes of oil per hr. Man that is some pump and even better, hose.

The pumps they are using are actually the exact same type I use for disposing of effluent on the farm - a progressing cavity helical pump. And yes, they can pump almost anything which resembles a liquid. Awesome things, and remarkably efficient too. Positive displacement, but with no reciprocating parts.

I saw some images of the delivery line they are using, and it appears to be some form of material based layflat pipe - an interesting concept for what I can only assume to be an immense pressure.

I have a question that someone may be able to answer - and that would be, why can they not mix the fuel oil with a form of solvent to make it more free flowing, and therefore easier, and faster, to pump? I realize that mixing an entire 1400T of this at one time would pose a challenge probably insurmountable, however, they have the ability to mix it in at the pump, which would surely make the entire operation far easier?

TVNZ had published this at 17:05 today

Reports that the stranded ship Rena is breaking up have been rejected by Maritime New Zealand (MNZ).

MNZ said while the ship's midsection is cracked port and starboard, it is still in one piece and is in the same position as it has been for the past week.

Let's hope they are right.

Just watched the news and weather on TV. They are saying "we are doing our best to get as much of the oil off as possible".

My uninformed opinion "Chances are it will break up in this next blow, maybe tonight, they have practically none of the oil off, it could get ten times worse than anything we've seen so far".

Hope they are preparing for a BIG oil slick to come ashore.

Yep I'm pretty certain it will go tonight if it gets to the 30kts they are predicting. Flat as a mill pond there today. It's sad they didn't get more oil off as the weather couldn't get anymore perfect. I feel they may have lost there window.

every tonne they manage to pump off is potentially 5 tonnes of oil and waste (sand, seaweed etc) saved from a beach so it all helps, still a few more days of settled weather would have been nice.

Its interesting they say that its still intact, but that's only because its on the reef, I can't see any way that will ever come off except in pieces

Looking at this shot, on the off chance they could drag her off she'd last seconds then go all Titanic on their arses. The front section is 500mm lower than the stern. She's a double hull vessel so if the outside layer looks like that the insides can't be good. If it hasn't already, her back is going to break soon, very soon.

Intact my arse, she's fucked!!!

post-646-141887188705.jpg

Extremely sad that such a bad incident has occurred and all the damage it will cause.

It really is a pity that industrial chemists havent come up with a way of injecting some chemical/ catalyst that would solidify the fuel oil in some sort of chain reaction to make it inert and immobile.

Archived