Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

I agree Wheels that the owners,Freight forwarding companies and Shipping companies are not interested, but if the various governments demanded it before the containers entered NZ/Australia/USA etc it would happen. I see it no different than the dreaded hub-o-meters for trucks, no one wants them but they have them.

You say not many containers are hit by boats, but we also know there are boats that dissapear.I know of 1 racing Tri that hit something in the water that ripped an ama bow off

In this case, if these units were in place, they would not have the problem they have now, of being wary with shipping entering and leaving Tauranga Harbour. Every container could be tracked until it was salvaged. If it saves one life on a boat it's done it's job.

The Marine Committee of the NZ Insurance Council (http://www.icnz.org.nz) has been researching issues surrounding the dangers of lost shipping containers in New Zealand waters, particularly to smaller craft and modern fast passenger ferries. It is known that a significant number of lost containers in New Zealand waters are not reported. Some containers remain afloat, often below the surface, long enough to be a real hazard to shipping.

The Committee has raised this issue in 2000 with the International Marine Organisation (IMO) and with New Zealand’s Ministry of Transport, and is calling for some form of mandatory reporting.

It seems NZ ministry is already looking into it

We've got the technology, so use it.

Not many yes, but yes certainly some are indeed hit. The balance is in how many are hit resulting in loss of boat and how many containers are out there. The percentage is very low in the end and thus the cost would outweigh the need as seen by the Gvt and the Gain as seen by insurance companies.

Lets look at it from a different angle. If there are 6 million containers enroute at any given time everyday, that's ~2 billion containers per year and if there really was 10,000 containers falling overboard, that's only 0.001%.(did I do that right?) So if every container was insured, then the Insurance companies are well and truley on the winning side and would not care.

Plus to add again, I don't think a GPS unit would be all that cheap. First of all, you don't want a ship with 3000 containers on it all activated at once. That would completely screw up a Satellite. So you would want it to activate if it went over. Then containers can sit in yards for months and sometimes years. So someone has to ensure the GPS unit is operational. Many of the container yards don't give a crap about the Container itself. It is nothing more than a Box we would put freight in, to you and me. When you think about it, there is one hell of an investment in Containers that are sitting in yards around the world.

Latest from the Marina, they have done an excellent job keeping the oil out.

Went down to the boat and it's still spotless, there looks to be a little oil on the beach under the bridge.

"OIL SPILL

Not a lot to report today as regards to oil in the Harbour. The marina staff have completed the placement of the oil spill plugs between every float on the southern breakwater and have a boom in place between the rock wall and the southern breakwater.

We will check the breakwater twice daily to make sure everything is still in place.

EXCLUSION ZONES

We have attached the latest exclusion zones and expected oil extents.

Hopefully the oil stays out of the Harbour but we will keep you updated.

TAURANGA BRIDGE MARINA LTD"

all for everyone helping out clean it up but, i see their all putting it into plastic bags, correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that just creating more global warming? more plastic bags being used= more being made, wouldnt they just be better off using a wheel barrow or something? and putting it into a pile, having it then put onto a dumptruck, then disposed of properly? :?: just my other 10c worth ...

all for everyone helping out clean it up but, i see their all putting it into plastic bags, correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that just creating more global warming? more plastic bags being used= more being made, wouldnt they just be better off using a wheel barrow or something? and putting it into a pile, having it then put onto a dumptruck, then disposed of properly? :?: just my other 10c worth ...

probably making disposal and sorting the waste harder too, and waste disposal can be more of a nightmare than the original spill in some cases....

the real problem, Mr 203 is you are trying to apply common sense and logic to the problems, and the public don't want to accept that type on thinking :crazy:

I have just had this huge laugh watching TV. Peter Williams is explaining what 22 deg is. Using his Hands, he show's a position of 90deg and calls it 45deg and thus from that, shows a position of 45deg and calls it 22. Thinking that was bad enough, Petra then tries to explain it with a piece of paper and pen and makes a 90deg mark and calls that 45 and then from that makes another angle at 120deg and calls that 22 deg. Good grief!!!!

I have to say I am shocked at the way the containers are being damamged. I thought they would be strong enough to survive the surf, but they are well an truely torn apart. It just goes to show how strong a boat is then it gets washed up onto a beach.

If the weather is now OK, when will they try pumping the oil off again? Seems to me the only thing they can do is try to get as much of as possible off before the next blow and the inevitable happens.

Good. FWIW I think a large part of the frustration of the general public can be traced back to a lack of communication.

In fact it is vaguely reminiscent of Pike River. Officials: leave it all to us, we know what we are doing. Public: Yeah right. Maybe people are sick of being talked down to.

I don't think it's so much sick of being talked down to rather that these officials have proven themselves to be idiots time and time again.

Wheels I think a lot of the containers got damaged in their tumble from the ship.

Was he an accountant? All I know is his last job was head of the Real Estate Agents Authority. But I was hearing these grumbles before he was appointed.

Interesting that the of oil that came off in the early part of the disaster

(300 tonnes) was supposed to have stopped anymore leaking after the bow tank fuel was pumped aft and the aft tanks sealed. Now they are talking about only 700 tonnes left, that leaves 700 tonnes unaccounted for. Well we can all see where it has gone! The method of sealing the tanks must have been a joke.

Not that I envy anyone doing that sort of job in those conditions.

Was he an accountant? All I know is his last job was head of the Real Estate Agents Authority. But I was hearing these grumbles before he was appointed.

I was referring to Catherine Taylor the Director of Maritime New Zealand

Archived