Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

There is still about 300tonne of oil of varying types still to be removed. It can't be pumped directly from twhere it is, but they hope to pump it to a central tank where it can then be pumped out of the ship.

I have also heard that they are modifying a crane to an extra long reach to lift the containers. I am not sure if that is the Oz crane, or something else, but I assume the Oz crane. Lifting the containers will be interesting. That will dramaticaly change the weight of the ship and I imagine it could make it less stable and have a greater chance of breaking lose. I think it is pretty obvious that the several pieces of hull are sitting hard on the reef, or they would have come apart by now. There is simply not enough steel left holding the torn area's together. It has to be something else holding it all in one piece. The only part that could go will be the stern section that is floating free. Apparently cracks are starting there now.

Looks pretty terminal :?

I think most of us considered it being that several weeks ago. :wink:

Yeah agreed, was really just commenting on the photo thought it looked interesting as I haven't seen a real close up of the tear in the side.

Rigger - are the pics taken at high tide or is the ship settling?? Continues to look like a - not good outcome, eh? Thanks for the up-date. Caio, james

Rigger - are the pics taken at high tide or is the ship settling?? Continues to look like a - not good outcome, eh? Thanks for the up-date. Caio, james

was told they were taken mid tide

Herd on the news that there is no more old left on the boat.

So what's next? Out with the gas axe and angle grinder or put a light on the top and make it a channel marker :lol:

Bump

Has any one noticed the footage and photos in the media are all the old dramatic ones?

The news item was about all the containers the had removed yet the footage still had containers on it? Any recent photos?

Archived