insurance - marinas

hi, I normally berth on piles in Tamaki river, but have been offered a berth at Westhaven for a while, I need insurance,  I don't want to get a full survey done etc,  what are my options, feel free to ring me on 021 380 611 Peter

1982 Hans Christian 38 yacht

Looking for a eWof person as well

I’d say your up sh*t creek. Trying to get insurance on a 38 year old boat without a survey is going to be hard if you’re not already with them for some time. I found that with Sundreamer, I was locked in to a company and to shop around needed a survey. No point

Still, try baileys

We got our insurance for freedom through Nautical insurance.

We are a 1970's multi on a swing mooring with race cover. they were great with no survey required. they just wants pics of the boat and a statement that the boat was in good condition.  

Bryan Noonan

Nautical Insurance Limited

P.O. Box 3804 | 62 Riccarton Road | Riccarton | Christchurch,  8011
Ph: (03) 384-1694 | Mobile 021 482 653  | www.nautical.co.nz

I went with Youi.  1979 Spencer 28 on a swing mooring.  No need for a survey and the premium was quite affordable.  They were one of the few interested in insuring on a swing mooring, so I didn't have many choices.  Their only condition was that mooring inspections are kept up to date and done by an independent party (i.e. can't self certify).

I checked out the policy against one offered by State Insurance (who did require a survey and would have required them on an ongoing basis) and the terms and conditions were very similar. State's premium looked like it would be half as much again, but they wouldn't provide a formal quote without a survey. I've not needed to make claim, so can't comment on my experience in that respect.  My other comment is that Youi's salespeople are quite aggressive keen.

Try the company you have as a household insurer.

Love the Westhaven mandatory $5 million third party requirement when I questioned the ludicrous amount the reply was that's our insurers advice.

Christ my 10m old woody would have to wipe out a few marina fingers to qualify that claim.

Try baileys I’ve found them very loyal and good to deal with , Neil Bailey who I dealed with ,in the beginning was good .and that’s 20 years ago and still with me , but not made a claim to comment

Pretty well all marinas now want $5mil 3rd party cover, not much if you happen to set fire to a few new boats. Do you need full insurance? Some companies will sell just the third party cover.

also from those who have ac systems onboard....  how much did your eWof cost you?  

I am a 120V boat, I feed 240 into a full isolating step down transformer then into the boat via a decent system,  from there charge 12V run fridges etc etc...