Jump to content

yacht in big trouble off Whangarei


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coastguard attempted FOUR rescues. Including from helicopter. I'm fairly sure they would have 'just towed the boat in' if they could have. It certainly wasn't a case of not thinking of it...

Jetski registration came about because they are essentially unidentifiable and there are now lots of the little suckers. We all have sail numbers or names on the side.    I learnt not to swim anywhe

the fact that cg couldn't get out to them says a lot about the conditions, i'd say.

Posted Images

30 to 40 knots, two meter swells is not over thier limit is it? Behind the Poor Knights there would have been no wind.

 

The coast guard reluctantly towed us back to safety when we damaged the bow of our boat two years ago. They were not allowed to tie the tow rope to our boat for some reason. I am glad they did tow us or else we would have lost our boat. They towed us into 30knots of wind at around 15 knots of boat speed, very easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coastguard should have towed the boat to safety yesterday, I understand they are not a salvage company but I feel that this is taking it too far.

Coastguard attempted FOUR rescues. Including from helicopter.

I'm fairly sure they would have 'just towed the boat in' if they could have.

It certainly wasn't a case of not thinking of it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The below is from CG Northern Region FB

 

You’ll see in previous posts we’ve referenced the height of the waves as part of the hindering weather conditions, it’s not the height as such that’s been the major issue but the consistent short period time between waves making them steep and hard hitting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The wind nor the wave height was a single go-nogo point, Perhaps is someone was nearly dead they might have tried harder but you had people who were tired but uninjured on a boat that was still floating and clearly had a level of control, Someone decided it wasn't worth risking the boaties and cg's lives just yet

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, despite what the coastguard might think of themselves, in NZ it is a volunteer organisation, and how often do these boats get to practice in really heavy conditions?  Some units (Manakau Bar etc) do, some don't. They likely made the correct choice IMO.

 

Many Auckland boaties think a 2m sea is twice as big as it actually is.... We are lucky enough to live on  the lee side of a big island. Inside the Gulf very rarely gets really rough, although it can be uncomfortable, it should not be dangerous for a well found vessel properly handled.

 

In this case, I personally would NOT have attempted Whangarei entrance. 5-6m breaking seas are too much threat. Close in, they are very steep, & short period. Ideal waves to broach a yacht on....

 

It is, and must remain, at the skippers discretion alone to decide if the vessel should continue. No point in having another vessel in trouble!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...